Oil Changes and Warranty - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Changes and Warranty

I just bought a new Frontier. The owner's manual says the oil should be changed every 5,000 miles or 6 months. I have no problem with the 5,000 mile requirement, but this will be a low mileage truck and it will not be driven on short trips. If I change the oil every 6 months, I will only have 1500-2500 miles on the oil, and modern oils can easily go a year or more with no problems. I don't want to void the warranty. Should I go ahead and change the oil every 6 months regardless of how few miles I have driven? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:19 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodark View Post
I just bought a new Frontier. The owner's manual says the oil should be changed every 5,000 miles or 6 months. I have no problem with the 5,000 mile requirement, but this will be a low mileage truck and it will not be driven on short trips. If I change the oil every 6 months, I will only have 1500-2500 miles on the oil, and modern oils can easily go a year or more with no problems. I don't want to void the warranty. Should I go ahead and change the oil every 6 months regardless of how few miles I have driven? Thanks!
How are you going to have that low mileage but not driving short trips? You just take it out once in awhile for a long haul?

For warranty purposes YES change it every 6 months and save the receipts with dates. Take photos because some receipts fade. For the trucks health I would say YES as well. I would be worried about engine sludge if you drive so little and do not change the oil enough.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Shift_lurker

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
t will be used as a secondary vehicle, so I get to pick when I use it. I use another vehicle for short trips. The Frontier will only be used when necessary on trips that are long enough to thoroughly warm up the engine. Thanks for your reply.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:32 AM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Thanked 1,135 Times in 737 Posts
Garage
They won't deny warranty if you miss or wait on an oil change here and there. What will be important is that you DID have the oil changed regularly and you have that handful of receipts. But, for the cost and the peace of mind, I'd still change it at the 6 month mark so if you do have an issue, the dealer has nothing to say.

Sean,

2011 Pro-4X CC
Overland bound #2292

See my 2011 Pro-4x build here
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:45 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
t will be used as a secondary vehicle, so I get to pick when I use it. I use another vehicle for short trips. The Frontier will only be used when necessary on trips that are long enough to thoroughly warm up the engine. Thanks for your reply.
I'm sorry but I do not agree with some of the above answers at all... Generally speaking sludge does not form in oil from being underutilized, it forms from being overused and getting cooked. Now if you would have said you drive very short distance then I would say yes change your oil once every 6 months as when oil is underutilized oil can turn acidic and allow corrosion to form inside and engine due to moisture not being fully burned out....

Now take this advice with a grain of salt as I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night but I have worked with motor oils for the past 30 plus years as a ship engineer...

T CRO
2016 SV-VTP CC/LB 4X4 V6/AUTO
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:14 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Thanked 1,135 Times in 737 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
I'm sorry but I do not agree with some of the above answers at all... Generally speaking sludge does not form in oil from being underutilized, it forms from being overused and getting cooked. Now if you would have said you drive very short distance then I would say yes change your oil once every 6 months as when oil is underutilized oil can turn acidic and allow corrosion to form inside and engine due to moisture not being fully burned out....

Now take this advice with a grain of salt as I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night but I have worked with motor oils for the past 30 plus years as a ship engineer...
If there was no warranty involved, I would agree with you wholeheartedly. But, have an internal engine issue and show up to the dealer with one or no oil change receipts? Yea, not worth the $30 twice a year.

Sean,

2011 Pro-4X CC
Overland bound #2292

See my 2011 Pro-4x build here
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:19 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
I have had the same question, why throw away perfectly good synthetic oil with 3K miles on it just because it's over 6 months old? If your truck hasn't been used in dusty conditions or a lot of short trips there is no good reason I can think of except the warranty. I decided to ignore that part of the warranty requirements and change it once a year or 7500 miles. I'll worry about the warranty requirements if I have an engine problem which is extremely unlikely.

Tom
'12 Frontier KC Pro-4X
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:30 PM
Shift_Newbie

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
What I would do is, I think, a happy medium. I'd run the oil for a year and do the change once a year. I would buy oil and filter for a change every six months and stockpile the oil & filters in my barn. That way you only change the oil once a year, but you have receipts showing you "changed oil & filter" every six months. When the vehicle is out of warranty, you won't have to buy oil & filters for a good long while.

- Neal

2013 Frontier, CCSB, 4x4, VQ40DE, 6-speed

Once more I have to ask "What did humans ever do to deserve dogs?"

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:00 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
I have had the same question, why throw away perfectly good synthetic oil with 3K miles on it just because it's over 6 months old? If your truck hasn't been used in dusty conditions or a lot of short trips there is no good reason I can think of except the warranty. I decided to ignore that part of the warranty requirements and change it once a year or 7500 miles. I'll worry about the warranty requirements if I have an engine problem which is extremely unlikely.
That right there where I stand, how many true oil related failures can you honestly say you are fully aware of? Oil related issues are all but nonexistent...

Another point I see is many people are downright fearful and worried that a dealer is going to VOID your warranty for some obscure and/or unrelated issue. It does not work that way but the stealership likes to let you think that it is that way. It is up the manf to PROVE that something you did or didn't do CAUSED your specific failure. The user is protected under THE MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzy View Post
If there was no warranty involved, I would agree with you wholeheartedly. But, have an internal engine issue and show up to the dealer with one or no oil change receipts? Yea, not worth the $30 twice a year.
I will show up with absolutely no receipts as they are not a requirement... Simply logging your maintenance records in the back of the manual is record enough... Again I'll reference the THE MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT...

T CRO
2016 SV-VTP CC/LB 4X4 V6/AUTO

Last edited by teecro; 02-14-2017 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:21 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
That right there where I stand, how many true oil related failures can you honestly say you are fully aware of? Oil related issues are all but nonexistent...

Another point I see is many people are downright fearful and worried that a dealer is going to VOID your warranty for some obscure and/or unrelated issue. It does not work that way but the stealership likes to let you think that it is that way. It is up the manf to PROVE that something you did or didn't do CAUSED your specific failure. The user is protected under THE MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT

I will show up with absolutely no receipts as they are not a requirement... Simply logging your maintenance records in the back of the manual is record enough... Again I'll reference the THE MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT...

I agree with what you said earlier. Since OP came back on and said no short trips I don't think there will be too much of an issue. I do not see many engine failures though toyota went through a bunch of BS some years about with sludge and other engine contaminates in low mileage vehicles.

The part about no receipts is false from what I read in the manual though. I have found it online and pasted it below.
Quote:
MAINTENANCE, DATA ACCESS, AND
RECORDS
As a condition of this warranty, you are responsible for
properly using, maintaining and caring for your vehicle
as outlined in your OWNER’S MANUAL and your
NISSAN SERVICE & MAINTENANCE GUIDE, and
maintaining copies of all maintenance records & receipts
for review by Nissan.

You are also required to provide consent to give Nissan
access to data stored on vehicle systems. Failure to do
so is likely to result in the denial of warranty coverage.
Evidence of the performance of the required maintenance
should be kept and presented as proof of such
maintenance in connection with related warranty repairs.
To assist you in maintaining appropriate records,
the maintenance log located in your NISSAN SERVICE
& MAINTENANCE GUIDE can be used along with
supporting repair invoices, receipts and other such
records.
This all being said, I am known to extend my changes. Last car had plenty of 10k miles changes and car before that even went 20k between changes. The 20k was with a leaking oil feed line to the turbo so I was adding fresh oil often though. I also was driving alot of highway miles. 35k plus miles per year. All the engines were running great when cars sold.

So to answer the original question you must change the oil every 6 months and hold on to a receipt in order to keep your warranty. Now is the oil in there still good at 6 months? I bet it is but that is another topic really.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.