Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Oh the carnage

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Dark Night 18 
#1 · (Edited)
Oh the carnage with pics

I was towing my camper to the campground and went over a rather large hump in the road. It bounced the truck down and back up. I was doing about 25mph. On the up bounce, I believe my uca made severe bucket contact. That and the fact that my truck has over 200k and the upper ball joint came apart. Yep my tire laid itself out flat and ground me to a stop. I already have all the parts to rebuild the front end including SPC uca's. So now I've ordered a new brake hose and axle shaft.
What a day.

Also had to have the truck and camper towed home separately.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
As long as you and any passengers are fine, it's all fixable.
Good luck on the repair.

Clint

#16 ·
Repair nothing, that's the perfect excuse for an UPGRADE!!!!!! >:D

#5 ·
Thanks
No one was hurt, no one else was in the truck. They were at school and work. I was going to set up and have the camper ready. I had my seat belt on also. Nope no speed bumps, just the huge hump going over a small bridge. If this had happened on the main highway at 60 mph, I would have likely gone over the edge down to the tracks. Wrecked the truck and camper. So I'm darn lucky it was on a back road.
I'll disassemble it tomorrow and at least start reassembly. Hopefully the new axle comes in tomorrow. It looks like it would be way easier to put the axle in before the new spring/shock assembly.

#7 ·
Scary

Wow I'm glad your fine. Must have been quite the rush, did it scratch the face of the wheel real bad?

#12 · (Edited)
Well I got the rest of the small parts today except an axle seal. I had to order that online. I'll check with the dealer first thing tomorrow morning to see if they have one in stock.
Almost had the passenger side completed yesterday, then I realize I had a frozen slider pin in caliper braket. I got it loose and I got it out, but decided to put all new hardware and rubber boots on.
It was really nice all cleaned up and painted. The caliper is not painted in this picture but it will be when it goes on.

Attachments

#13 ·
Will you replace all the opposite sides movable components? They too have to show signs of all the miles.
Good to see its almost all done. How about a picture of the rims face.

Clint

#14 ·
I've already done the opposite side. That's the completed pic I posted. Still waiting on a new axle seal for the drivers side.
The wheel has no damage, but the tire is very scuffed. I'm going to put on the spare for now.

Side note
The instructions for the SPC uca's say to place the ball joint in the middle of the in/out travel and check for clearance of the the coil bucket.
I pushed the joint all the way in and ground for clearance.
I'm also installing my front flairs.

#17 · (Edited)
Final update:
Installed new powder coated calipers and brackets and had my wife help me bleed them. They work great and look good doing it.
Almost forgot about the front end alignment
Tech said easy align.
Cost $67.05, including tax.
Said the new front end parts and anti-seize made it easy.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.