Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Not wild about the 2014 Pro-4X

9K views 53 replies 22 participants last post by  spyhunter 
#1 ·
Comparing my 2012 to the 2014's, I find that I just cannot get over the satin grille, the new wheels, and that decal on the back.

At 41K miles, my '12 needs tires soon. I LOVE this truck. I am thinking I am better off keeping it and getting a nice tire and wheel package to get some improved traction and better looks.

#3 ·
Well, quickly if you can, I'd like to hear some others thoughts on the '14s I'm going to trade my '06 in tomorrow on either a xterra or a new frontier (nismo for pro 4x) not crazy about those new wheels either. Hate the leather and I think the slider is stupid. 14 owners or anyone who switched to an x I'd love to hear your thoughts. Sorry for the slight hijack.

#6 ·
A KC 14 Pro-4x was my first test drive when I went looking for a 2014. Since my goals were staying or under the mid 20's price range, towing a 2000lb boat and it would be a DD, the V6 SV KC fit my needs. The dealer didn't have one at the time, but also in my head I just couldn't justify 4WD (and really the extra $$'s), so this kept me from getting a 14 4X.

I really liked the 14 KC Pro-4X tho. I liked the wheels, the grill/graphics did not set me off at all, and they had two 14 KC 4x's, one blue, one black. Two colors I like and I thought the white gauges/leather wheel is a nice touch too. If I had the extra $$ to cover the initial cost and slightly lower MPG I'd be in that black KC 4X. There are sweet in my mind.

Good luck in your choice, each of us is different. I was in a car for the past 4 yrs and I'm really happy to be back in a truck and digging it more each day. My SV was driven in from another dealer 60mi away and it showed up just as I wanted, but with dealer added pin-stripping. After its first oil change I yanked the strips right off to get the look I was after. I don't know how easy it is to pull off factory graphics thou.

#9 ·
Needs tires soon, I'm thinking I'm better off getting tires than a new truck?
SMH

DUH

>:D

#11 ·
Obviously I am not going to trade simply because I need tires. I am required to have a vehicle no more than 4 model years old (company vehicle plan) so usually after about 40K miles I start looking, trying to find that optimal combo of maximum trade in value, incentives, etc.

#10 ·
HATED the satin grill with a passion so I paint matched it.
Hated the graphic so I took it off, took a total of about 1 minute to do both.
I was tired of the old 6 spoke Nismo/Pro 4 wheels and really like the new ones.
Love the new nav, back up cam and Ipod integration systems.
Love the auto lights.
I like the new visors better than the old ones with the pocket slide-out as they cover way more window when you rotate them to the door side window.
Liked the red stitching on the old leather better but the white is growing on me. The Yellow Pro-4 lettering is lame but I don't even notice it any more.
Slider is in fact stupid and kinda worthless on a CC. I've used it once so far just so I could say I used it mostly. Would MUCH rather have the defroster.
I needed a new truck after the fire took out the old one and I got a crazy deal on the new one so I went with the new wheels over the same old sh!t on the '13.

#12 · (Edited)
Comparing my 2012 to the 2014's, I find that I just cannot get over the satin grille, the new wheels, and that decal on the back.
Aren't most people the reverse of that? They want the '14 wheels?

HATED the satin grill with a passion so I paint matched it.
Hated the graphic so I took it off, took a total of about 1 minute to do both.
I was tired of the old 6 spoke Nismo/Pro 4 wheels and really like the new ones.
Love the new nav, back up cam and Ipod integration systems.
I think if you want the graphics off, sooner is better than later. A hair dryer and some patience should get them off (from what I have heard), and you don't want the paint to have faded too much around them.
I haven't decided about whether or not I want to take off my graphics. I don't love them but if I take them off I want to do it soon.

Has anyone else had a problem with their Radio locking up on them? Mine gets stuck on XM and you can't change anything except turn it off and on. Is there a combo of buttons that will do a hard reset on the RF nav radios?

#20 ·
I went from a 09 Pro loaded to a 14 Pro loaded and am loving every thing about the new truck other than the rear sliding window. Maybe on a long trip with sunroof open and rear slider open may reduce less drag then side windows down, definitely quieter.

#21 ·
Stopped by the dealer today; the trucks with the sliders do not have electric resistance defrosters. Unless they are pumping warm dry air up there from the HVAC system, there is no defroster on that back window. That would be a big problem.

I do like the idea of the sunroof and leather seats with the lux pkg though.

#25 ·
Johnny, I went ahead and traded my '06 nismo for the '14 pro yesterday. Sticker was $35485. I'm not excited about the leather at all but I wanted the stuff that came with the lux package. I'm having nightmares about my dog on that passenger seat! Do any 14's come with a solid rear window and defrost at this point? If the wiring was there I might get it changed.

#28 ·
I can't say I noticed any difference in horse power but unless it's all in my head it seems to turn a lot better. Easier if not tighter. I do know that only what nissan considers the lower end trucks don't have the slider, what I do not know is if they have defrosters. I wouldn't put it past nissan to just forgo it completely. I have to head back to the dealer next week so I will try to look. I don't recall seeing a blank button where the defroster switch would go.

#30 ·
I have rear window defogger on my SV

I've got the rear window defogger on my 13 SV and I thought I would need it living in Minnesota. But through the just ended winter I never really used it. Then again my truck is always garaged over night. I have seen other brands of trucks around here with their rear windows iced over - so I assume if I was keeping outdoors at night I might need it. But it hasn't happened yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.