Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Not the 2017, but the 2018 Frontier- In 2017

40K views 141 replies 48 participants last post by  BlueT 
#1 ·
Just read this and thought I would share:

"It’s the fact that the last few updates to the Nissan Frontier have been so minimal that’s seen such a stir caused by confirmation of the 2018 model. This time around, there’s going to be the option of a bigger V6 along with the usual 4-cylinder engine, along with a manual six-speed, an automatic five-speed and a traditional manual gearbox option. Huge improvements have been made to the Frontier’s suspension, interior technology has been taken up a dozen notches and the PRO-4X line is shaping up to be nothing short of unstoppable."

See less See more
#14 ·
I got a peek at this one earlier, and it caused me to run out and buy my 2016 :surprise: . My 2007 was in good shape, and didn't have 100K miles on it, but by the time I'd be ready to trade, it was gonna be this butt-ugly hideous thing. I decided that I'd rather have the older-styling and trustworthy-ness of the older styling/model.

Nissan is sorta like the Colt Manufacturing Company. Everyone else makes really good 1911 pistols now, yet Colt still makes frumpy things that still need some refinement. (and I still shoot a Colt >:D ).

#3 ·
Source? I mean people had the newest Navara coming as a 2016, then as a 2017, now as a 2018. Sooner or later they will be right. That reads like one of those poorly written robo-blogs. 6 speed manual, 5 speed automatic and traditional manual? I'll bet the automatic has more than 5 speeds. A bigger than 4.0L V6? I can that shaking and vibrating.

#4 ·
#7 ·
Well if the larger v6 part is true that could be interesting... If Nissan follows the same trend they did with the Titan this could be they are trying to blend the gap between mid size and 1/2 ton, midsize+ maybe? So they would have the 4 cylinder Frontier for the mid size, the large v6 Frontier as a midsize+, gas Titan as 1/2 ton, Titan XD as 1/2 ton+. Would be interesting for sure, a somewhat elegant way to stretch 2 trucks over nearly 3 voids (mid size, full size, and HD)

#8 ·
Aren't those the same articles they ran for the 2017? Let's see, change it from 2017 to 2018 and run it again.

One of the source articles even say's, "This article is just a RUMOR!" at the top. One confirms a diesel (although Nissan has not) and say's the automatic trans is a seven speed (which may be true because the new 2017 Titan (non-xd) has a 7 speed).

The people who really know aren't saying (Nissan) so all of this is just speculation fueled by internet misinformation (it's on the internet, it must be true).

At least we are getting to see a lot of picture of the 2016 Navara.

#9 ·
Latest Motor Trend states new model for the 2018 year built in conjunction with Mercedes Benz, who will sell an upscale version of the Frontier. I guess it's still sit and wait!

#10 ·
Why would they maintain the same transmissions when the market is moving to more and more gears? Why would they keep a 5 speed auto and not go to at least a 6 speed or even 7 speed. Gas mileage and efficiency are the way of the future, so i could only assume they would need to get a couple more gears to get the mileage they need/want.

#12 ·
Adding gears isn't always a simple thing. There can be many risks trying to package more gears in to a case that has to occupy the same space under a vehicle. Between that and introducing an all new design can be opportunity for failure. I've heard of more than one auto company having issues initially when they started in on this more and more gears thing. Is a .5 MPG gain worth dumping a tried and true transmission? How many millions of the current 5 speed auto trans have been on the road for how many years?

#11 ·
Best reason I can come up with for why Nissan hasn't made any official announcements is that the new model isn't ready yet. We like to think these big companies have secret "master plans" and act on motives we can only scratch the surface of . . . while in reality things go wrong, mistakes are made, plans have to be changed, etc. I think if the Nissan Frontier/NP300 were ready to go they would bring it on. Bringing out a new vehicle in this country is a huge deal, and Nissan has had the luxury of not having to do it as often as the other manufacturers. Maybe they're out of practice!

#15 ·
The way these new trucks are looking. Yeesh. It's really turning me against Nissan trucks. The Titan is just a friggin eyesore, I don't care what its packing under the hood. Not that I was looking to upgrade from my Frontier anyways but man, they sure making it hard to look at Nissan's if I was. I think the only thing I could ever look for as an improvement on the 2013 that I own is to allow the drivers seat to scoot back just a little further. I've been toying the idea around but once I get done with my other project truck and have time I may revisit the idea of doing that in my Frontier. I just can't afford to have too many vehicles in pieces, lol...

#16 · (Edited)
If they put a six speed in a long bed again I'd be there in a flash to trade my 2016 in. As much as I like it, it's not as enjoyable as my last one was rowing the gears.
What I find amazing is all this EPA rules crap we have to choke on and the rest of the world doesn't have the same standards to go by. Heck, many states here have no emissions testing but NJ is up our butts for everything. Where is equal rules for all?
Things better change in November or we are screwed, remember you reap what you sow.

you reap what you sow
phrase of reap
proverb
you eventually have to face up to the consequences of your actions.

Clint

#17 ·
If the 2017 is just a refresh of the current model, I would be happy with that. Unlike some I like the potentially new design of the 2018. I am hoping the new Frontier will stay small and not grow like the Tacoma or GM Twins.

#18 ·
There going to offer a a V6 in the Titan later in the year. I'm thinking the Frontier will get the same motor, direct injection seems to be the route every ones going with, to get more hp and better fuel economy. I looking forward to a new design. I'm sure there will be option to make them look more aggressive and capable 4 wheeler's. I hope they add car play, push button start, better gas mileage and a more refined interior.

#20 ·
Don't assume that direct injection is better. My A4 had it, intake valves would plug up with carbon after 40kmi. With no fuel washing over the valves the gunk builds quickly. Most newer DI motors have an extra injector to "clean" the valves, but I'm still leery after the Audi!

#21 ·
I have said many times that i would never buy the new model Frontier because if it is too look like the Navara, it is just not my taste. Now that being said, i will never buy another Frontier that is not a Pro-4x. To me it is the best package for your buck and with that said, I guarantee that if a new model does come out, the Pro4 model will still be the current body style. Nissan did that all over Central and south America and i bet that this would be the case Here in North America too.

#27 ·
Check out other colors

Every year, this same picture of the orange Navarra keeps popping up as the "new frontier". It probably is and now that reputable car magazines say its 2018 then that part is probably true too.

On looks, I don't know why the orange is the color that keeps showing up but IMO orange tends to be pretty ugly on any vehical. I find that in other colors I actually like it. If you take a look at Nissan Australia ( http://www.nissan.com.au/Cars-Vehicles/NP300-Navara/Overview ) and change the colors you may change your mind. I like the black, slate grey, and deep saphire they have down under.

Engine wise, I'll be really disappointed if the V6 turns out to be a backwards step from what we have now in the 4.0L. What does "backward step" mean? Well, to me the GM 3.6 in the Colorado is a backward step for a truck in everything but gas milage. They advertise big HP numbers (305 hp) but less torque than the current Nissan 4.0 (269 GM Vs 281 Nissan). Torque is where is at with a truck. to my knowledge the Nissan 4.0 still has the most torque of any gas V6 on the market other than the GM 4.3 (would actually love to see the 4.3 in a Colorado).

Why would the Pro4x go with the old body? Maintain a separate assembly line to make them? Import them from somewhere? Why?

#22 ·
#24 ·
I wonder how long it'll be until they start using electronic valve tappets? Think of it.... You could eliminate so much friction from the engine because you won't need camshafts, timing chains nor rocker arms or lifters. The ECM could control not only when the valves open or close, but how long they stay open with the ability to vary the valve timing and deactivate cylinders for fuel mileage. One would have to think they are somewhere ahead in the future of engine development.

#25 ·
I'd guess that we're moving in that direction, as the mechanical valve-train seems so inefficient. I'm curious as to the valve-actuating mechanism, though, as something still has to open and close the valves. Could the actuation be "magnetic" (and hence, electronic)? Can magnets activate/pulse at rates faster than 5,000 times/minute, simulating an engine's typical rpm? Electrical engineers - chime in please?

#28 ·
Most trucks can be made more off-road worthy!

#29 · (Edited)
That's a lot of extra dough to dump into a truck to make it look good. The current model looks pretty damn good from the factory.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That's a lot of extra dough to dump into a truck to make it look good. The current model looks pretty damn good from the factory.

#31 · (Edited)
Not sure about the new look but would be an improvement if they drop the Pathfinder 3.5-liter 284 hp engine in and give it a 5year/100k mile warranty the likes currently being dangled on the Titan and a must have is greater functionality with Android auto integration. Nissan's indolent offerings on the Frontier is just so embarrassing.

#33 ·
Not sure about the new look but would be an improvement if they drop the Pathfinder 3.5-liter 284 hp engine in and give it a 5year/100k mile warranty the likes currently being dangled on the Titan and a must have is greater functionality with Android auto integration. Nissan's indolent offerings on the Frontier is just so embarrassing.
Nooooooooooooo! That's a car engine. Yes, it has more HP than the 4.0 (284 Vs 261) but it has less torque (259 Vs 281). And not only is it less torque, its also making that lower torque number at a higher RPM (4800 Vs 4000). That's all well and good for the family truckster (Pathfinder 2013+) but it isn't what I want in a truck where (in my mind anyway) torque is king and the lower the RPM where it makes its torque the better....at least if you want to actually haul anything with it, which I do. to me the 3.5 would be a big step backwards in everything except fuel economy when not towing anything.

#34 ·
The 3.5 and 4.0 are basically the same engine. They just stroked out our trucks to make more torque at a lower RPM. If they made improvements to the 3.5, those same improvements will come to the 4.0, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the next Frontier comes with a smaller engine and a Turbo.

I've been holding my breath too long for them to change the design and throw in a diesel, but I finally gave up, I'll just keep my 15.

I don't think the current Navara style will ever come to the US. That design is already a few years old and if they haven't brought it to the US market, they probably won't ever....which is a good thing, IMO, I hate it.

IIRC, all pickup trucks sold in the US have to be designed in the US, so I'm guessing Nissan will probably take the Frontier back to the drawing board when it finally gets an update. Just really wish they updated the Titan and Fronty at the same time.

Reactions: NYCe_Frontier
#35 ·
Honestly I think they were focused solely on the Titan and so far, it hasn't gone well for them. Latest email propaganda I got this morning is that the 2017 REDESIGNED Titans are now coming out. With the 5yr/100k mile warranty. You redesigned your flat out brand new truck after just 1 season of almost negligible sales?

That or perhaps they wanted to see what toyota and GM would offer with their redesigns. Well those designs are out, the gauntlet is thrown down. People are clearly not flocking to the Titan as hoped as of yet. We're all still sitting here waiting for Nissan to knock one out of the park with a midsize truck that will meet our needs as much as the Fronty has.

I don't want some luxury filled cabin like I seem to envision from the images of the new Navara. Too much leather and all that stuff. I want an interior that is comfortable on long trips but sturdy and easy to clean at the same time. That's why I went with Frontier after my hardbody truck in the first place.

They seriously need to get off of their duffs and get with it when it comes to that diesel. It's been 3 or 4 years now since they showed that concept Frontier with the diesel in it. We still haven't seen a dang thing come from that, but we all know that they would make a killing with it.

#37 ·
I'd like to think that it's the price. They haven't really offered incentives for the vehicle, not that I've heard. ALL the new box shaped trucks out this year are smegging hideous for that matter. The GMs are probably the worst with their square wheel wells surrounding round wheels. They look so stupid but people are buying those trucks. The nose on the new tacoma is ungodly ugly, but I'm sure they're still selling them.

#40 ·
If I didn't like how this looked before, if they try to restyle the Navara to be more inline with the Titan, I'd like it even less.... At this point, I could buy this Frontier. If it were to have the huge non-aerodynamic front end like the Titan and nearly every other truck out there right now, I'll pass and keep what I've got, thanks.

I'm really at a loss as to why they didn't push the Navara out here in the states with the rest of it's global release. How hard was it to put in the extra effort to get a powerplant or two options lined up that were compatible with US regs and what the consumers here want?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.