Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Nissan Frontier 2012 Low RPM Engine Noise/Shake

6K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Tanquen 
#1 ·
At around 12,000 miles and a few months out of warranty it started to show a rough idle or engine shake and squeaky breaks too.

It sounds like a mini jackhammer or air compressor. The idle is around 700 in park and 650 in gear. It’s louder when in gear but can always be heard. The vibration is bad enough that the little double ‘C’ clamp thing that holds two of the hoses together came off.

I replaced the air filter but that did not help.

I’ve seen a number of threads about rough idle in the Nissan Frontier but not sure which of the many causes I have.

I’m really disappointed as I’ve never had an issue like this in other vehicles I’ve owned. :frown:

Video linked below:

https://youtu.be/tLZsLks4dCI

#2 ·
Don't have an answer about what could be causing your problems. One suggestion, since the vehicle has such low miles and isn't far out of 3/36 your dealer may opt to fix the vehicle as a goodwill gesture. Also, it is possible that something might be covered by the 6/60 part of the warranty. Won't hurt to check.

#3 · (Edited)
In real life the hoses don’t really look like they do in the video. Not like slowly undulating but a blurry back and forth. Even without the noise, that’s not normal right? I know I should have taken it in last month when I first noticed it but at the time it was just when I’d drive by a wall or something that I’d hear it and or thought maybe it was the car next to me. Plus, I hate going to the dealer and many of the threads on rough idle just end with the dealer saying it’s totally normal.

I'll see if they'll look at it I guess.

#4 ·
How do your battery terminal connectors look? So many engine systems are under 'electrical/electronic surveillance'...that this seems worth your time to check...as in disconnect/clean/reconnect.

#6 ·
They look totally clean and new. Was thinking of trying the MAF or computer reset deal. When disconnecting the battery, remove the negative first and only?

No engine light or codes or pre codes when using OBDlink.

#9 ·
Strange

I think it's very weird how it almost stops when you put your finger on the intake pipe? Have you looked all around the plastic intake pipe for something hitting against it?

#10 · (Edited)
I think it's very weird how it almost stops when you put your finger on the intake pipe? Have you looked all around the plastic intake pipe for something hitting against it?
That's one of the first questions I had in an earlier post. Even without the noise is that amount of vibration normal? The 2 smaller hoses have a plastic clamp that holds them together and there is so much shaking it came apart. I put it back befor the video. Finding what exactly is making the clanking noise seems secondary.

#12 · (Edited)
Might me a long shot in the dark but there is a bolt and a bushing that holds the intake manifold on.
Check to see if it tight or has fallen off.
Mine does that but not noisy I forgot re check and tight the intake manifold after doing the plugs and the bolt back out.

Zip ties are your friends just zip tie it down.[emoji48]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Yeah, if that was the case I was going to rush on down to the dealer and have em take a look. But after stumbling across this thread, and others of this nature, I have become a tad bit hyper sensitive to this whine that people are talking about. I don't notice anything that people have shared in videos etc...but do get that little rattle sometimes when the tac hits 2k rpm on cold starts.

#18 ·
What whine?[emoji53]
Been left out in the dark cold world alone[emoji23].
I know the suicidal timing chain of death sounds but not the whine.

#20 ·
Oh okay,
I have a winning sound that been there for the last 19k but does not sound like timing more like a normal four cylinder.

#22 · (Edited)
Ok, took the truck in and they said that it looks normal and that it's out of warranty. The fact that it’s out by three months and only has 12,400 miles on it and it started to have the issue before it was out don’t mean anything. The guy even told me it don’t matter if its out by 3 days.

I asked about the drivetrain warranty and he said that is for issues internal to the engine.

He said they would take my $150 to look at it but as it is normal and as there are no codes, nothing is wrong.

I had shown him and it even got worse right when I put it in gear. It doesn’t always. I asked him if he honestly thought that was normal and he said he was not a technician. I said but you drive cars right. I’ve had no other car in my years of driving do this and he just said that a technician would have to look at it to see if it’s normal. ???

I wonder if he would let me show any perspective buyers that come on the lot what the normal Nissan idle is like?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.