Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Monroe Quickstruts

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  smj999smj 
#1 ·
Anyone use them? If so, are you happy? How any miles do you have on them? Thanks.

#3 ·
I've heard several R51 Pathfinder owners use them and they seemed happy with them. I wish KYB would make quick-struts!

#5 ·
The stock factory struts, which are pretty much KYB Excel/G2's with a Nissan P/N stamped on them, are actually pretty good. On the R51s, a lot of people, including myself, swap the rear shocks out to Bilstein HD's and install Airlift 1000 air bags, which is a big improvement.

#9 · (Edited)
The problem with the R51 rear springs is that they are a bit weak and the rear suspension is prone to bottom out on even modest bumps. The air bags prevent the suspension from bottoming out and soften the blow, as well. Their adjustability also makes them great if you tow as they keep the back end of the Pathfinder from sagging and add another 1000 pounds of load capacity. For as inexpensive as they are and for as easy they are to install, they are a no-brainer!
Pathfinders, unlike the Frontier and Xterra, have an independent suspension and I'm not always sure that was the best direction for them to go in. I think the Frontier/Xterra straight axle would have been just fine.

#7 ·
Assuming most/all rear suspension airbags/springs are similar...they allow adjust-ability of rear ride height. This helps to keep headlights aimed properly when loaded down - whether it is cargo in the bed or trailer tongue weight. When the weight is removed, just simply air down.

For airing up: some install an onboard compressor with a controller, some use a portable tank of compressed air...I use a hi-volume bicycle pump.

There are a number of informative threads here at CF. Do a search for Ride-Rite airbags made by Firestone if you'd like to learn more. These are considered by some to be the best, most useful mod they've done to their truck...including me.

#8 ·
I have the quickstruts. I have had them on for about 25,000miles

I had just bought the truck and the suspension seemed a bit soft and if I was going to do the rear shocks I was going to do the fronts as well. I could not justify spending the extra money for a separate spring for the front with the quickstrut being all one unit. I had a guy installing them for me...older guy who is retired mechanic and he said they went in smooth as silk...you don't have to worry about compressing the spring because its already installed.

When I bought them I bought the ones for an xterra as there were none listed for the Frontier but we know the front ends are the same..they bolted right up. Youre just locked into the spring rate for an xterra.

That being said, the truck got stiffer but it is still a bit soft if you like a stiffer suspension.. I do a lot of highway driving , and no offroad and these are perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.