Mobil1 0W-40 question - Page 3 - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#21 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Run it half and half with some mobil 1 5W20. That will put you in the 5W30 range.

Otherwise, just use the 0w40 as is and you probably won't notice a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to invasion08
Off the Mobil1 website
Ask Mobil

Is There Any Harm to Mixing Different Mobil 1 Viscosities?

Question:
Is There Any Harm to Mixing Different Mobil 1 Viscosities?
I drive a '97 BMW 540i (85K.) on 0W-40, and a 2005 Subaru 2.5L (25K.) on 5W-30. I have used Mobil 1 for at least 10+ years now. I do keep drain intervals right at 5,000 miles on all of my cars, as it is easy to remember on the tach! Here are my questions: Is there any harm done if I were to mix and match between different viscosities within Mobil 1 products? I would prefer some thicker oil in our hot/dry summer months for both cars so can I simply mix in some 15W-50 with the base oils that I normally use, or is there really no need for that in modern engines? I just shiver at the thought of the relatively thin 5-10W-30/0W-40 oils all year round, especially when it hits 100°F+ around here, which can create tremendous thermal loads on any engine!
-- Konrad Werner, Albuquerque, NM

Answer:
Today’s modern vehicles require a less viscous oil in many cases than in the old days. Having said that there is no harm in mixing different viscosities of Mobil 1. They are all compatible with each other. However, we think the 40 grade protection you get from the 0W-40 is more than adequate to protect your BMW even in New Mexico as is the 30 grade protection provided to your Subaru

PRG Basic Suspension Package
XTP IMS, Gibson Exhaust, Airaid Intake, UpRev Tuned
N-Fab Nerf Bars, Bakflip G2, Line X Bed Liner

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.