Mobil1 0W-40 question - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 12:16 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mobil1 0W-40 question

I've been to the bobistheoilguy website to try and find answers, but didn't get anything definitive. I have 10 quarts of Mobil1 0W-40 oil left over from my 1.8T GTI (now sold) and I was wondering if I can use it for the next oil change or can I do a half mix of it with the recommended 5W-30? I currently rin Mobil1 5W-30 in all my vehicles and have been doing it for quite some time. I know it is a bit on the thicker side and may not be suitable for winter months, but has anyone had/have any experience using it? Any PROS or CONS? Any help would be great.......Now back to BObis theoilguy to do more reading and understanding of oil viscosity. Let me tell you it is not as easy as it seems to understand oil viscosity and knowing what can/can't work with our 4.0 V6s.

2006 Frontier Crew Cab Nismo 4X4
K&N drop in filter w/ modded box, OEM hood deflector, WeatherTech window deflectors, WeatherTech digital fit mats (front/rear), PRG 2" spacers/PRG adjustable shackles (set @ 1.5"), OEM adjustable camber bolts, USA SPEC PA15-NIS iPod interface, Truxedo Truxport Tonneau cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 01:14 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

I would expect it to be fine. I've done it before on my bike which is a little higher strung and no problems. (Accidentally bought 15W-50 instead of 10W-40).

If the oil is the same brand and type (synth-synth, semisynth-semisynth, dino-dino) then all you are doing is changing the viscosity a bit. If you are worried use a mixture of both.

2000 Silver Frontier, SE 4x4 V6 Crew Cab (5spd) - 309xxx km and counting!
2014 Cayenne Red Xterra Pro4X (6spd) - 800km!
#3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 01:21 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrabbit0888 View Post
I've been to the bobistheoilguy website to try and find answers, but didn't get anything definitive. I have 10 quarts of Mobil1 0W-40 oil left over from my 1.8T GTI (now sold) and I was wondering if I can use it for the next oil change or can I do a half mix of it with the recommended 5W-30? I currently rin Mobil1 5W-30 in all my vehicles and have been doing it for quite some time. I know it is a bit on the thicker side and may not be suitable for winter months, but has anyone had/have any experience using it? Any PROS or CONS? Any help would be great.......Now back to BObis theoilguy to do more reading and understanding of oil viscosity. Let me tell you it is not as easy as it seems to understand oil viscosity and knowing what can/can't work with our 4.0 V6s.
i wouldnt really mix it with another oil. oils contain additive packs that could possibly interact with each other negatively. granted, its probably a VERY slim chance, but i wouldnt be willing to take the chance anyway. as for the oil, i would probably run it at some point. compared to what they put in at a 15 minute oil change, i would have more faith in the oil i bought than the oil from there. just my opinion, though

#4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 01:30 AM
Shift_Newbie

Mobil 1 0W40 is an excellent oil, It is used in almost every mercedes engine including the AMG's. It outperforms 5w30 in cold and hot. I run it in all my vehicles from 4 to 8 cylinder. I also run it in my nissan. From what I learned through mercedes it contains higher level of zinc and phosphorus than the conventional weight mobil 1 oils which help protect your valvetrain.
The Following User Says Thank You to DirtKurt For This Useful Post:
Blackrabbit0888 (11-10-2012)
#5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 01:42 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

bobistheoilguy website (oil university) just hurt my brain. LOL. I think I got better info from its' forum.
i was abit hesitant to use it due to the "european blend" formula, since we own a jap.

K&N drop in filter w/ modded box, OEM hood deflector, WeatherTech window deflectors, WeatherTech digital fit mats (front/rear), PRG 2" spacers/PRG adjustable shackles (set @ 1.5"), OEM adjustable camber bolts, USA SPEC PA15-NIS iPod interface, Truxedo Truxport Tonneau cover
#6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 02:05 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Garage
M1 0w40 is perfectly fine for the VQ40. Used oil analysis have shown VQ motors like oils on the slightly thicker side.

2012 CC SV 6 speed
Premium Utility Package

95 Hardbody V6
93 Hardbody 4 cyl
#7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Nothing will go wrong using 0W40, with all that synthetic oil available and how pricey it is, I would use it. Or, send it to me, I'll put it to good use!
#8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I currently run a mix of 2qt 0w40, 3.5qt 5w30EP. I should have a UOA arriving within a week or so.

I did run 5.5qts of 0w40 once but it felt sluggish until about 2k on the oil and then fully normal at 4k. I figure it was the initial shearing at 2k and then the breakdown at 4k. I dumped it at 5k since that is what my OCD nature tells me. It probably would have been good out to 10-12k thou..... This is why I am running UOAs so that I can support my decisions with facts about my specific motor.

07 SE CC Auto
#9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

From what I understand, 10K on Mobil-1 is not excessive by any means. I did try Delvac-1 for one of my fills. It seemed to work well, too. It's a 15-40w oil.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Does the uoa tell you your results or do you have to interpret the numbers to know if you are changing to early or too late.

Sent from galaxy s2

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.