Mobil 1 ATF changed compatibility? - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Shift_Newbie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Mobil 1 ATF changed compatibility?

So when I changed my transfer case fluid, I used the black bottle of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF which specified as being Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J compatible on the back of it, as well on the Mobil 1 website.

I noticed today, Mobil 1 revised their webpage to no longer specifically call out the Nissan Matic compatibility. Is Mobil 1 trying to cover their *** now incase you blow up your transmission? Their warranty page also now states they exclude the following, "Situations where the OEM required fluid standards do not match those stated by ExxonMobil without written approval from ExxonMobil." I'm guessing if it doesn't state Matic-J compatible on the bottle, its not covered?

Any thoughts? I doubt anything in the formula has changed, but you are on your own if anything goes wrong.

'09 Rad Silver SE 4x4, 5AT.
Mods: OEM fog lights,integrated Garmin nuvi 750,Gibson exhaust,aFe drop-in filter,sidesteps,OEM grille guard,Superchips Light Tow Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

That's why I went for the Nissan fluid for my change, it's to much hassle if there is an issue and the blame game starts.
Surprised they didn't mention "matic S" as that's the current fluid.

Clint

The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

2010 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab Long Bed 4X4 Radiant Silver 6-Speed
2007 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4X4 Desert Stone
2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Frosted Steel
2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Yellow Jacket Edition 6-Speed in Stinger Yellow
#3 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 09:46 PM
Shift_Obsessed

It still meets JASO 1-A, though, "performance standard created by Japanese Automobile Manufacturers" so close enough as far as I'm concerned.

Also, on another note, Mobil1 won't factory fill on high end GMs anymore (Corvettes, etc.), so something is going on.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 12:43 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WD_NISMO View Post
Also, on another note, Mobil1 won't factory fill on high end GMs anymore (Corvettes, etc.), so something is going on.
according to mobil 1's site they are still the factory oil for all the sports cars and high end lux cars from GM as well as MB and others. not sure where you got that from.

05 LE CC 4X4. SUPER BLACK
#5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 01:05 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb0587 View Post
So when I changed my transfer case fluid, I used the black bottle of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF which specified as being Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J compatible on the back of it, as well on the Mobil 1 website.

I noticed today, Mobil 1 revised their webpage to no longer specifically call out the Nissan Matic compatibility. Is Mobil 1 trying to cover their *** now incase you blow up your transmission? Their warranty page also now states they exclude the following, "Situations where the OEM required fluid standards do not match those stated by ExxonMobil without written approval from ExxonMobil." I'm guessing if it doesn't state Matic-J compatible on the bottle, its not covered?

Any thoughts? I doubt anything in the formula has changed, but you are on your own if anything goes wrong.
numinous members here have switched to M1 with 0 problems. i cant imagine they would change there formula to limit out nissan. if your that worried about it shoot them an email and ask. im sure it will get you the correct answer.

05 LE CC 4X4. SUPER BLACK

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.