Miles stored in ECM or Instrument cluster? - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Miles stored in ECM or Instrument cluster?

I was wondering if the odometer is stored in the ECM or in the instrument cluster itself.
Wanting to switch mine but unsure on how the miles work?
TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 12:04 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
iirc, the mileage is stored in the instrument cluster. A member once tried to swap instrument clusters and the mileage of the previous truck was still on it.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 02:13 AM
Shift_Hardcore

LOL.
Don't take me serious at all, but I sense somebody not wanting to rack up miles on their truck. Some vehicles it works on, others it does not. On a Jeep Wranger, I know it works but you also lose your tachometer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom View Post
iirc, the mileage is stored in the instrument cluster. A member once tried to swap instrument clusters and the mileage of the previous truck was still on it.
Not saying that is not true. But if it was, why wouldn't I go buy one new or slightly used to reduce the miles of my truck for resale?

I have NO clue on these trucks where that would be...

-Mark's '08 4x4 CC SE LB -
Current mods 3 ft. hybrid axe, shovel, ingenuity, Coors, Volant CAI, OEM fogs, 2.5'' front
Future mods: Revo II's, AAL (maybe), ARB front bumper, baby seat

Last edited by Glacier08; 01-18-2009 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
#4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 02:19 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier08 View Post
LOL.
Don't take me serious at all, but I sense somebody not wanting to rack up miles on their truck. Some vehicles it works on, others it does not. On a Jeep Wranger, I know it works but you also lose your tachometer.

Not saying that is not true. But if it was, why wouldn't I go buy one new or slightly used to reduce the miles of my truck for resale?

because its illegal to sell your truck displaying the incorrect mileage unless you tell them. And the VIN on ur truck would not match the VIN of the cluster.

If you really wanted you could buy another cluster and swap them out for a while then switch back to the original and just swap out every so often so you still get a few miles but not 100%

2008 NISMO CC
PRG 2"/1.5" PRG lift,DIY 2" bodylift, 33"x11.5" BFG KM2s, bed liner on rims, flowmaster muffler/removed secondary cats/blacked out exhaust, AFE Intake, White Rhino light bar with KC long range lights, custom NISMO decals, full rebuilt sound system that can blow ear drums
#5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 02:26 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08_Nismo View Post
because its illegal to sell your truck displaying the incorrect mileage unless you tell them. And the VIN on ur truck would not match the VIN of the cluster.

If you really wanted you could buy another cluster and swap them out for a while then switch back to the original and just swap out every so often so you still get a few miles but not 100%
eheh, I know that is illegal for sure. When I sold my last few cars, and I don't know if this is state or federal law, I had to sign a "odometer reading is correct form or you can be sued."

I was joking because the only reason I could think one would want to know that is so they wouldn't rack up miles, but I supposed thats just the criminal inside me and Jonchos just wants a different cluster.

-Mark's '08 4x4 CC SE LB -
Current mods 3 ft. hybrid axe, shovel, ingenuity, Coors, Volant CAI, OEM fogs, 2.5'' front
Future mods: Revo II's, AAL (maybe), ARB front bumper, baby seat

Last edited by Glacier08; 01-18-2009 at 02:29 AM.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 02:27 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Quote:
LOL.

Not positive on that. I just remember someone switching out the cluster and commenting that the donor truck's mileage and his were only off by a few thousand miles.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 06:32 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Yup, its the cluster. A guy over on thenewX changed his out and it had the other truck's mileage.

Black 2007 King Cab SE 4x4 6-SPD
PRG Titan Swap:
PRG Titan Uppers - Titan 2.5 Radflos - Rear 5125 Bilsteins - PRG/Deaver Mini-Pack - PRG Adjustable Shackles - PRG/SAW Extended Axles
Superchips Cortex - Volant Intake - Jardine Cat-Back - Shrockworks engine & transmission skids - 285/75R16 Firestone Destination MT

Shift_4x4 = SHIFT_$x$
#8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 08:11 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
I was joking because the only reason I could think one would want to know that is so they wouldn't rack up miles, but I supposed thats just the criminal inside me and Jonchos just wants a different cluster.
If someone were to install an overlay, they might break one of the needles. Or maybe all of the bulbs (led's?) were to go out. Sure there are a couple more reasons to change it out.

Anyway, the Sentra is done the same way, odometer is stored in the guage cluster. However, I'd be a bit surprised if it wasn't also stored in the computer. Its just too easy to store it there too.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Only wanting to switch to see if I would get the capability of getting the MPG and miles until empty in my cluster. But I did not wanted to mess with the miles thats why I asked. Is brand new so it will have no miles on the cluster. I wished the miles were controlled and stored by the ECM. Oh well.

#10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 09:53 AM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You Get The Mileage Burned Into The Cluster At Either The Dealer Or From The Factory When Ordered. Jaguar Used To Do It For Us When Ordered, Now Packs Are Blank And We Program Mileage And Marry To The Car. I Guess Nissans Dont Have To Program Modules Like Inst Packs, But Jags Do, You Can Install, But None Of The Other Modules Communicate With It, Kinda Like "we See You, But We Dont Know You And We Dont Talk To No Stinkin Strangers So Piss Off" Everything Is On Hi, Medium Speed Comms Networks And Everything From Door And Seat Modules To Ac, Abs, Ecu Tcm And On And On Has to be programmed.

"Understeer, when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer, when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower, how fast you hit the wall. Torque, how far you take the wall with you."

0-60 video P4070007 - YouTube

OWNER BUILT REAR BUMPER AND TIRE CARRIER
OMF street-locked Nismo wheels, 456 GEARS
Shrock skids, winch bumper, 9500# winch.PRG 10 leaf packs, Radflos, BFG KM2 305/70/16
Confer roof rack, aluminum tool boxes, Piaa 525 driving/fog, projector HID headlights, and fogs, Carbon fiber grill sliders, crossdrilled rotors, EBC pads, 1 touch windows. Owner built engine and Custom fit Ken Bell Super Charger. NISMO T stat, UPREV http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn1EvGKO1Yo
The Following User Says Thank You to BRUTAL For This Useful Post:
Zero Six LE (01-18-2009)

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.