Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Looking to trade in my Subaru for a Frontier...any advice?

4K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  nizmut 
#1 ·
My Subaru is in the shop after a starter (yes, a starter!) apparently fell off of another vehicle and went through my front bumper. I ended up getting a Nissan Frontier as a rental. To my surprise I absolutely love the truck. Enjoy the power it has over my Subaru. I've been driving Subaru's for the last 9 years, but considering a change. I live in Colorado, and do all the stuff most peole from here do...hiking, camping, mountain biking, snowboarding, etc.

Looking at the SV V6. Not looking to break the bank, but want 4WD, alloy wheels, fog lights, bed liner, power windows. I do have heated seats in the Subaru, but not looking to pay a premium for them if I switch to the Frontier, so will probably have to do without them.

Any suggestions on who to go through in Denver, CO? I have been contacted through the Costco program by a local dealer and am working with them currently. Just wondering what the best price is and what I should expect to pay for an SV V6 Frontier. Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
First off, try not to choke when you stop at the pump the first time (or the 23rd time or..). It will NOT get subie mileage unless your last subie was an STi.
See if any of the local dealers are listed on Truecar.com They will usually get you close to the lowest price you can get even if you are a seasoned haggler, unless of course you know someone that can get you VPP pricing. Check out nissan.com and "build" the truck you want to get an idea on msrp and go from there.
They are finally offering heated fabric seats but not sure what models it's an option for. The leather heated seats are only avail in the Lux package and it's a couple grand on top of the high line model it's avail on (I think just the Pro-4 and SL models but don't quote me on that)

#8 ·
Can you choke on your 105th fuel up in 335 days? >:D

I get better mileage than that coworkers WRX (non-sti)

the only other advice I will offer up is remember this is a truck, not a car. you're not going to turn as sharp, it weighs a bit more, and when the tank is low, its gonna be a $50 bill to get the needle back to the top.
I think heated seats are now part of the Value Truck Package that gets you everything else on the SV you asked for.

#3 ·
You should be able to get good trade-in on the Sub. - don't accept a lowball offer as I'm sure demand in Denver is high for used Sub. Other than that, no advice, except "What are you waiting for?"

#4 ·
I just got a 2015 SV crew cab in 2wd (not much use for 4wd here in Georgia) and love it. I use to have a 2010 Xterra in 2wd and had a blast in that SUV. The Frontier SV with the convenience package gives you all the things you listed. I just filled up again (2nd time) and I'm getting 16.5 mpg with a new engine and should get better. Big plus over the 13.5 mpg I was getting with my Ram 1500 CC Hemi.

#7 · (Edited)
The truck in my sig is my new one. I'm averaging 18+ mpg. Let me put it this way. I drive 63 miles round trip to work 3 days a week, and just 6 miles round trip the other 2 days. Roughly 200 total miles, about half of which are highway, other half are 2 lane back roads. Had a 2006 Ram with the Hemi V8 and fuel to work and back only, per month, was $240. Now in the Frontier, I'm at $160, plus I can actually drive the truck some in the evenings on that gas also. BIG DIFFERENCE. Average cost per gallon here is $3.47 - 3.59

I paid $30,422 out the door, including bumper to bumper, 6 year, 100,000 mile extended warranty and gap insurance. The truck has a bed liner, tow package, splash guards, and floor mats as extras. I'm not a good negotiator either, so that might give you a rough idea on price. With 2015's on the lot, now might be the time to negotiate a good price on a 2014.

#20 · (Edited)
Wow! It's been years since I've seen gas under 3/gal anywhere in the SW. Must be nice! But I'm still enjoying the .30 - .40/gal break here over SoCal so I'm not gonna complain.

I just saw a silly video on YouTube where a frontier caught the front wheel of a jet airplane, preventing a dangerous crash ;) So, there's that.
Haha! That's a Nissan add from last year or the year before. Went along with the one where the fronty stops in the middle of a giant sand dune to give a buggy a push up the hill and the one with the fronty doing barrel rolls on the ski slope.

#15 ·
We had two outback in the family. Though they are nowhere in the same class as a frontier (4wd truck) they are nice to drive. My Frontier takes some extra effort. Steering is heavy (I think they made improvements in recent years), Clutch is heavy, Shifts throws are long. If I was to pick a car to simply commute to work(especially in traffic) the truck would not be it.

Don't get me wrong I love my Frontier but if I am not hauling, wheelin, or driving in snow I much prefer to drive a car.

Gas here in town is 4.19.

#16 ·
You always save $$$ by selling your vehicle itself, then buying one as compared to trading it in. Dealer will absolutely make money on both ends !!!

#17 ·
I wish my fill ups were cheaper. Damn SoCal prices. My fill ups are typically above 70$ :frown:

#22 ·
Wasn't this thread about trading a sub on a Frontier? ::smile::
My son and I bought two frontiers on the same day. We got a little better that 15% off the retail price on each truck out the door minus tax tags and title.

#23 ·
And they will only do what's mandated to get by as long as big oil is running our government.

#24 ·
It's not just the government. When the price of a barrel of oil goes up, the gas stations immediately raise their prices but when the price of a barrel of oil goes down, the gas stations don't immediately lower their prices because they "are still selling the high cost gas" from the expensive oil barrel prices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.