Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Keys...

6K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  smj999smj 
#1 ·
I just got my Nissan Frontier this past Saturday and the dealership gave me two keys, one for the ignition and one for the door. The one for the door only works on the drivers side door and not the passenger side door or tailgate or passenger air bag switch. Is it possible to mod all the locks cylinders (ignition, driver door, passenger door, tailgate, passenger air bag switch) to get all locks to work off of one key? I tried looking on Courtesy Nissan, but couldn't find a full swap out kit. I appreciate the feedback thanks.

#2 ·
Good question.jist to add some info to this. On my 16 I received three keys .2 had the chrome Nissan name on them the third was all black.dealer told me the black was for valet parking and car would only go 40 mph with the black key.that was not true.
I believe the black key without chrome may not work on glove box and tailgate. Hopefully someone can clarify this.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Is this a 2002 Frontier King Cab V6 like shown in your signature line? See a locksmith.

For my 1998 Frontier and my 2004 Frontier, ONE KEY works everything, including the manual air bag shut off.

Pi$$es the $#^%&*(^%#%&* hell out me that they dropped lock cylinder for passenger door by the time my 2004 was made, I hate that !!! Of course almost all these days don't have that, great "cost savings".

No tailgate key lock for our 2005 Yukon either. I hate that too. I don't do "fobs".

#8 ·
Don't know about Gen 1.

Gen 2 Valet Key operates everything except for glovebox. There is no performance hindrance...not sure where some idiot dealer would grab that info from, except maybe from a luxury car situation/scenario.

Question: do Gen 2 SV W/O VTP have a key lock on passenger side (front) door?
I have the VTP (items) and no key lock on the passenger front door.

#9 ·
Sounds like they replaced the driver's door lock cylinder, which comes with a new key. All you have to do is have a locksmith code the driver's lock cylinder to your ignition key. The driver's door lock cylinder will need to be removed to do this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.