Infernal Racket - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 10:46 PM
aju
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Infernal Racket

2012 Pro4X here.

"Follow me home lights" - I leave them in the on position always. When I shut the car off and remove the key, you'd think the thing was going to self destruct with the alarm going off. Is there any way to disable the "you left your lights on" alarm? I mean they're going to turn off anyway!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 11:47 PM
Shift_Newbie

So you'd rather go through the hassle of trying to disable that than simply turn off a switch? If you are that determined to do it then just find the chime and disconnect it
#3 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,158 Posts
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to x_mods
I only know where the plug is for the chime that indicates if the key is in the ignition. If you unplug that the light alarm will still go off...

-Nate
#4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 06:36 AM
aju
Shift_lurker

I'd prefer to use the "follow me home feature" than shut the lights off. I'd just like to disable the "subtle" chime. Is there really no way to do this other than unplugging it? I was hoping for something more along the lines of up up down down left right left right a b start...
#5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 07:25 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by aju View Post
I'd prefer to use the "follow me home feature" than shut the lights off. I'd just like to disable the "subtle" chime. Is there really no way to do this other than unplugging it? I was hoping for something more along the lines of up up down down left right left right a b start...
unplugged it or just deal with it

Frontier Facebook group.
My Build Thread
LED Headlight Review Thread

2014 Chrysler Town and Country Touring-L - 20% Tint, AVS Vent Visors, 300 Watt RMS Sub
2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Purchased 3/5/2014 -SOLD 9/18/2014
2012 CC SV 4x4 - SOLD
#6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
"Follow me home" is like automatic headlights? Where they stay on for a minute after you turn the truck off?

Either way, there is nothing on this truck that can be changed so easily as button pressing, except for the horn when you lock it..

-Nate
#7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 07:43 AM
aju
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_mods View Post
"Follow me home" is like automatic headlights? Where they stay on for a minute after you turn the truck off?
Yes, exactly.

I guess I'll live with it. It was just a stupid design decision to put an alarm that's the intensity of the warning that you're leaving your keys in the ignition when there's nothing to be worried about at all. It is probably the same thing on all trim levels where there may not be the follow me home feature. Oh well. Thanks all.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
I don't think there is an alarm if you actually have automatic headlights. But I can't say for sure since I didn't get that option. If you don't have them, then the chime will sound as long as the door is open and the key is out of the ign..

-Nate
#9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There are threads on here, somewhere, that will solve your problem.

1) you'll need a new turn-signal stalk that has Autolamp feature. Your current stalk has resale value here since adding fog lights is a popular mod. Instead of headlights OFF, PARK, ON, you'll have OFF, AUTO, PARK, ON.

2) you'll need a photo eye sensor thingy installed in the middle of the dash, between the defrost ducts. IIRC, its a $50 part. Going off memory here.

3) some have found they needed an extra wire or two added, supposedly simple, whereas others have not needed the additional wiring. Hit or miss I guess, depending on other options you may/may not have.

4) your local dealership will need to reprogram/teach your BCM, or body control module. Some have said they've played dumb -- "hey, my autolamps aint working", and had warranty programming free. Otherwise its probably an hour labor @ $95 or whatever they are getting there days.

Now your headlights can come on automatically at dusk. When you shut off your truck and get out, the headlights will stay on to "follow you home". Without the obnoxious warning chime. And they'll go off.

What is convenience worth?

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.