Idle Issue after TB cleaning - P0507 - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Idle Issue after TB cleaning - P0507

I am sure there is someone here who can shed some light on this situation as I am beyond frustrated at this point.

A couple of weekends ago my friend and I changed the spark plugs on my 05 vq40. While everything was open, we did the pcv, throttle body bypass, and cleaned the TB. My friend used a TB cleaner and rag and wiped out all of the black build up around the butterfly. My truck was running great until about 2-3 days after the job. Then the trucks starts idling high (1400 rpms) and throws a P0507 code (Idle control system - High RPM). So my friend does some research on some other forums and comes up with some threads on the same problem after cleaning the TB. He found the procedures to do the Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning, Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning, and the Idle Air Volume Learning. The procedures turned the SES light off and lowered the Idle. Then after 3-4 days, the SES light comes back on and the truck is idling at about 1300-1500 rpms. I have gone the the reset procedures about 5 times now, each turning the light off for about 3-7 days. The 3 procedures seem to fix the idle, as well as turn off the light, but the same P0507 code comes back every time.

I cant figure what could have cause this, and everything done to the truck was mentioned above. There must be someone who has experienced the same problem after cleaning the TB, or someone who has SOME advice as to whats going on. Ive spoke to a local mechanic about this who told me to "go to the dealer, either way money will be spent." I'm a broke college student who cant afford that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 11:06 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
With a little research that mechanic would have found the TSB for your problem.
read this thread, 03Q45 with DTC P0507 after TB Cleaning : Q45 Forum / Cima Forum

nissan coats to TB to prevent build up. if you're in CA, and under 70K miles, it should be replaced for free. you can also have someone with Superchips, uprev, or hypertech adjust the idle.

I work on the dark side. Diesels rule.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 12:44 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr_kx250f View Post
With a little research that mechanic would have found the TSB for your problem.
read this thread, 03Q45 with DTC P0507 after TB Cleaning : Q45 Forum / Cima Forum

nissan coats to TB to prevent build up. if you're in CA, and under 70K miles, it should be replaced for free. you can also have someone with Superchips, uprev, or hypertech adjust the idle.
Thanks for the reply and link.

So with the protective coating gone (which was removed during the TB cleaning), it is now impossible for the IAVL to be relearned? Also, as it appears, Nissan only replaces TB's, so re-applying whatever was cleaned off wouldn't be an option?

"As the old expression goes; if it aint broke, dont fix it"

Last edited by OffintheDistance; 06-29-2010 at 12:49 AM.
#4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 02:11 AM
Shift_Obsessed

kids will be kids and just wont leave things alone and sometimes it comes and bites them in the a$$. this sucks man, but can i ask why did you think you needed to clean the TB so bad? was it pretty bad?

2007 CC SB SE
Bully Dog Triple GT
Airaid Quickfit, Soon to be Volant Intake
DT Long Tube Headers, 2.25" B Pipes, Full 2.5" Exhaust
2" Front Spacer, 1" Rear Block

Last edited by TheOregonFront; 06-29-2010 at 02:15 AM.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 07:19 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Garage
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
wow, I am glad I read this. I have ordered a new air filter and when it arrives I had planned to clean the MAF and the TB.

2006 SE CC 4x4 A/T: NISMO CAI, JBA Exhaust, Unichip PNP, Fabtech 6" Lift w/PRG UCA, Radflo 2.0, Bilstien 5125 & custom Alcan Springs, ProComp 7089 w/BFG AT T/A (295/75R16), ShrockWorks Skids & Bumpers, Warn M8000, Hella 500s, M226 (3.69) swap w/ARB Air Locker & Compressor, CW Billet Grilles...

“A government for the people must depend for its success on the intelligence, the morality, the justice, and the interest of the people themselves”. - Grover Cleveland

Bigdog's Build Thread
#6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Shift_Fanatic

I don't think anyone can get the coating. Also, what's the MAF look like?

I work on the dark side. Diesels rule.
#7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr_kx250f View Post
I don't think anyone can get the coating. Also, what's the MAF look like?
check out this thread for more info on MAF Sensor Cleaning

2006 SE CC 4x4 A/T: NISMO CAI, JBA Exhaust, Unichip PNP, Fabtech 6" Lift w/PRG UCA, Radflo 2.0, Bilstien 5125 & custom Alcan Springs, ProComp 7089 w/BFG AT T/A (295/75R16), ShrockWorks Skids & Bumpers, Warn M8000, Hella 500s, M226 (3.69) swap w/ARB Air Locker & Compressor, CW Billet Grilles...

“A government for the people must depend for its success on the intelligence, the morality, the justice, and the interest of the people themselves”. - Grover Cleveland

Bigdog's Build Thread
#8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

I just went to Nissan and talked with a mechanic. He is certain the code and abnormal idling is a result of the TB cleaning. He said whatever was used to clean the TB most likely damaged the TPS. Nothing to do with the MAF, pcv system, or vacuum leak. I asked if he could recall the factory service manual stating not to clean the TB, he said no. He said at this point replacing the TB is a matter of whether the idle could be relearned or not.

He was also unfamiliar (never heard of) the 3 re-learn procedures including the IAVL.
#9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Garage
What product did you guys use?

I was planning to use CRC Throttle Body & Air-Intake Cleaner for the TB and their Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner for the MAF

Bigdog's Build Thread
#10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
What product did you guys use?

I was planning to use CRC Throttle Body & Air-Intake Cleaner for the TB and their Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner for the MAF
I have used that on the TB but never touched the MAF (56k or so now).

07 SE CC Auto

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.