I need help, high idle problem - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I need help, high idle problem

Hopefully someone will chime in with a quick answer. I was bored at work today so i decided to clean my throttle body out(I noticed it was dirty when i was messing with the TBS the other day). I took it off(left it plugged in) and sprayed the inside with 2-3 quick bursts of brake clean, then wiped it with a paper towel, let it dry, then put it all back together(also with the TBS). started the truck up, and let it idle for about 10 minutes to make sure it was all good. Runs smooth, but it wont idle below 750-775 rpms now. Also while driving, when I'm coming to a stop and push the clutch in, the rpms stay at about 1100, until I am dead stopped they then dip back down to around 750. The only thin I can think of is I messed up the thottle body butterfly position by moving it by hand. I tried doing the idle relearn procedure (warm truck, key on, hit the gas pedal in some weird sequence.....) but I never got the CEL to blink like it's supposed, never did a thing. I did have my scanguage plugged in at the time, maybe thats why it didnt work? Gimme some ideas guys.

06 NISMO KC 4x4 6sp. Traction bar mod, E-locker mod, Nismo CAI, SilverStar Ultra headlights and Luminic JDM yellow fogs, OEM bug-guard, WeatherTech vent visors, ScanGaugeII w/ BlendMount, Factory Nav mount w/ Garmin 750, JVC XG700, Polk Audio speakers, Kenwood SW10 sub, Superchips Tuned(93 +2), WRP TBS, Banks Monster Exhaust, 350Z Thermostat, Cooper ATPs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

CONSULT is needed

yes you cannot move the throttle butterfly by hand, if you wanna clean the throttle body put the car on a flat surface, put the car in DRIVE, with the key in the ON position,ENGINE OFF floor the gas pedal and it should open the throttle body. You will need to got to the dealership and have them relearn your idle with CONSULT, they will prolly try and sell you a throttle body just have them learn the IDLE. hope this helps

2005 Black NISMO Frontier KC 4x2
1985 Mustang SVo
#3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Inyourface1650
Yep, it was moving the TPS.

SirLurksAlot
#4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISMONate View Post
yes you cannot move the throttle butterfly by hand
LOL!!!! I've done this EVERY time I have had my intake off, even when I was putting on the TBS. I've never had a problem doing it afterwards. So.. Dont make it seem like thats the problem!!

2006 Radiant Silver SE CC 5AT 4x4 @ 4540 Lbs. 158,000mi
Performance: UpRev Dyno Tuned (5 ECU Maps), WRP PSP - IMS - LWUD Crank Pulley, OBX Headers, Shiner Fab'd 2.25" Stainless High-flow Catalytic Converters, NRG Engine Torque Damper, Airaid CAI, Throttle Body Intercooler, Nismo 54*C Thermostat.
Suspension: OME608, Bilstein 5100, Calmini Shackles & Brake Lines, Deaver AAL, Titan Poly Sway-bar Bushings and Yokohama Geolander ATS 285/75r16D
Exterior: Shiner Fab'd Front and Rear DOM Bumpers, DIY 1.5" BL
14.506 @ 93.10 mph. 133,xxx mi. 245WHP 261WTQ & Paid Off

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=48787
2005 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8t - TT225 fuel injectors - Motoza Tuned.
Feel free to ask me questions!
#5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Shift_Obsessed

For what it's worth, some throttle bodies are coated with teflon on the inside to help resist dirt buildup and if owners use brake cleaner, it strips away the teflon. For this reason, only throttle body cleaner is recommended. I'm not sure if our Frontiers have teflon coated TBs.

2006 SE CC 4x2 6-Speed 4.0L w/Power Package & ABLS, Red Brawn, Nissan Step Rails, Hood Protector and Soft Tonneau, Clarion CX501, Stock Speakers, Pioneer TS-T110 Tweeters and LED Reverse Lights
#6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 01:23 PM
Shift_Obsessed

I've done the idle air volume relearn 2 times and it helped it alittle bit (idles now at almost exactly 700 rpms). I'm gonna disconnect the battery for the rest of the day and see if it helps clear anything up.

06 NISMO KC 4x4 6sp. Traction bar mod, E-locker mod, Nismo CAI, SilverStar Ultra headlights and Luminic JDM yellow fogs, OEM bug-guard, WeatherTech vent visors, ScanGaugeII w/ BlendMount, Factory Nav mount w/ Garmin 750, JVC XG700, Polk Audio speakers, Kenwood SW10 sub, Superchips Tuned(93 +2), WRP TBS, Banks Monster Exhaust, 350Z Thermostat, Cooper ATPs.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

take it to dealer throttle body is ruined has to be replaced the spray messes up the computer on the throttle alot of people do this and we replace alot of then becasue of this reason.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Shift_Obsessed

OK now what? I have done the Idle Air Volume relearn at least 5 times (each time it seems to help a little bit, idles around 687-700 rpms read via the Scanguage, also noticed the timing is pulled down to 9-10 also via scanguage sometimes it stays like this for 2 key cycles, sometmes it goes back to the 750 rpm range). I have done what Bill (Brutal)said about touching the negative battery cable to the positive terminal, and it didnt seem to help. I have checked for leaks with some brake cleaner at the back of the throttle body and around the silicone boot for the CAI and around the MAF sensor, no noticeable difference in idle. I took the CAI off and looked in the throttle body and noticed the throttle plate is ever so slightly open. If I push at the top of it, it will move maybe 1/8 to 1/16 of an inch then it stops at the line on the throttle body itself(anyone know if this is normal?) I'm at a loss here as to what to do. I really dont want to drop 500 on a new TB if I dont have to.

#9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 12:02 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

try learning the throttle position, turn key ON on for 2 seconds turn off for 10 seconds, on for 2 seconds, off for 10 seconds, then on for 2 seconds, then try to learn the idle with CONSULT 2

2005 Black NISMO Frontier KC 4x2
1985 Mustang SVo
#10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Shift_lurker

High Idle after TB cleaning fix

So, I also messed up my TB by cleaning it. Because I"m a cheap bastard though I couldn't bring myself to buy one so I found a thread or two on a mitsu forum about the same problem. Apparently they use a Molycote DC 321 a Dry Film Lubricant (Dow Corning DC 321) to fix the problem. I found it online (not cheap, but cheaper than a new TB) and covered my butterfly and the side walls with the stuff (like, way more than I would have thought) and it worked perfect. Reset the ECU and after about 5 min of idling it was back to its normal 600rpm.

Here is where I found it. Buy Dow Corning DC 321 MolyKote Dry Film Lubricant Spray - 11 Oz. Aerosol Can at SkyGeek.com

The first time I tried it by just doing a coat with the TB still installed (and it was probably 18F out) and it didn't work, but with a careful application on both sides so no light was visible it worked. The two attached photo's didn't coat well enough to work. The finish coat had now gold showing throw only the dull gray of the DC 321 showing. It actually looked pretty bad because it was so covered, there may be a happy medium that I missed.

Hopefully this saves someone else the cost of a new TB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5686.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	281.0 KB
ID:	40787   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5687.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	40788  

Last edited by kprtx; 02-02-2013 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Add photo
The Following User Says Thank You to kprtx For This Useful Post:
Geaux504360 (10-03-2014)

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.