Nissan Frontier Forum banner

How does the gen 2 V6 like being hosed off?

2K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  BacknBlack 
#1 ·
I've been washing the winter dirt and salt residue off my engines for almost 40 years. I used to try to throw some plastic over the alternator but stopped doing that at least 25 years ago and have never lost an alternator or anything else in an engine compartment.
First I blow the worst off with the air gun but I'm not sure that I'm not just redistributing the dirt. Then, after I warm the engine a little (to promote faster drying), I spray it with a most liberal amount of a green or purple detergent found in most store's auto departments. Next I gently rinse it off with the hose.
Do any of you wash your Frontier engines and have you had any issues? Thank you!

#4 ·
I did it once. And once only a bunch of years back. I'd recommended putting a plastic bag or something else to cove the fuse/relay boxes up near the fire wall on the passenger side. I didn't and it was four beer and a hair dryer later to stop the relays from clicking and the engine to run correctly. Morel of the story is cover up those boxes with something and back off with the pressure washer.
Pidge.

#7 ·
I have been rinsing mine with a light garden hose spray. So far I have had the fan clutch and three belt tensioners replaced on warranty. I saw a post on this forum about getting water in bearings, can't find it now sorry, so I think I caused most of my problems. When I do it again I will try to cover the belt train, also do it on a very hot sunny day and let everything dry good before I start the engine.

#9 ·
i tell customers at work just dont do it(theyll do it and then say the tech said I could when the have check engine light etc) That aside I do all the time on ones I work on to clean oil or coolant and my own. The only real issue is STAY AWAY FROM ELECTRICAL CONNECTORS FOR COILS, MAFS, THROTTLE BODY ETC. THIS IS WHERE YOULL END UP CREATING ISSUES WITH MISFIRES AND SENSOR READINGS AND FAULTS.. OTHER WISE HAVE AT IT

#11 ·
I use a pressure washer on my engine as well. I don't hit it too hard and I try to use a mild soap, but I don't cover anything. We use salt here in the winter, so I want to get the salt off of everything. Pure water will not harm electronics. Salty water is murder on most anything metal.

#13 ·
been washing down the engine is various vehicles for years, always avoided and protected the electrics/electronics and connections.
I use simple green. I spray down the fenders/apron and windshield with water first, then spray with simple green, liberally in some hard dirty spots, then rinse with water and the rig looks new again. I`ll use a leaf blower to get most of the water off/out avoiding pushing the water into areas where it doesn`t need to be,,,done...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.