Nissan Frontier Forum banner

How do you transport your dog?

14K views 34 replies 28 participants last post by  Kagia 
#1 ·
How do you guys transport your dog?

Backseat? Frontseat? Truck bed with canopy? Dog crate in bed?

and yes, this is also an excuse to post pictures of your dogs!!

#3 ·
Both go in the back as it's safer for me not having them jump on me.
The only time they go in it is to the vet or the groomer and that's it.

Clint

#8 ·
Backseat with a beach towel down and then their dog beds on top of that. The towel is supposed to help keep the hair off the seat and the dog beds are there to keep them comfortable and in one spot. If I don't bring their dog beds, they wander around the back seat constantly. I'll be adding a seat cover to the back as soon as I find one I like. Years ago I used to crate my dog in the back seat because I was a control freak and didn't like my dog moving around in the car. Now our two dogs are 11yrs and 9yrs old so they know the routine. If I stop and run into the gas station or something, they hop in the front seat to see out and watch me. As soon as I come back to the truck, they hop right back in the back seat.

#9 ·
Either running between both back windows or in the front seat hanging out the window.... riding shot gun with a shotgun... juiceman

#14 ·
I have a Yellow Lab and a Border Collie mix. Both medium sized dogs, about 60-70 lbs each.

In my old 2010 I used a seat cover from PetCo and let them run around the back seat and stick their heads out the window. The problem with this is they shed hair EVERYWHERE and put nose prints on all the windows. If I took them to a grocery store they would be in the front seat making a mess there too before I even made it to the entrance of the building. Also, this limits the amount of storage room or passenger space.

In my new 2016 I have made them ride in the bed. I put two cleats on the floor of the bed, put a 3' leash in each cleat and put a dog bed on top. They can run around just fine while driving in town and even stand on the wheel well to get a face full of wind (just how dogs like) without leaving enough slack to jump out. Then, when I get on the highway they settle down on the dog bed to avoid the wind. This leaves the back seat free for passengers/groceries and I can still put stuff in the bed near the tailgate if needed. After the trip I hose out the back and my truck stays clean!

That said, I am going camping this weekend and bringing my four-wheeler. This, along with a 3-hour drive does not allow for them to ride in the back so I will be putting the seat cover back on and they will ride in the back seat. Then I will have to do a deep clean as soon as I get back to keep my brand new truck clean...

#16 ·
Where ever he decides to run too. Front seat , back seat or straddled over the console. He doesn't like the wind in his face because of his big bugged eyes! Lol

The only time he has ever sat in my lap, and it was not the most comfortable ride ever.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Nice, some precious friends we carry with us, I'd be too worried to put her in the bed. She's afraid of everything and doesn't really like the car, so I have to keep her in the back seat. I'll have to remember to get a picture of her in the truck..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

#19 ·
I have a harness that straps into the seat belt.
She is so quiet I forget she is back there.
It's been awhile since I been able to drive though.

#20 ·
In the back seat. I have neoprene waterproof seat covers (Cover Kings I believe), and if she's soaked, ill put a towel down as well. I also have door guard I got from Pet life since she likes to put her paws on the window seal to brace herself when she has her head out the windows. I use a bungee cord attached to both the front seat headrests and taught her this is my line except for her head sticking over so she doesn't go past it and jump in the front seat. Setup works well. The bungee is nice because if I have to stop 'harder' it has some give instead of something hard but still keeps her in the back.

In the truck

out of the truck hiking a local mountain

#22 ·
Canidae Dog Dog breed Car seat Snout

She finally let me take a picture in the truck, it's not her favorite place to be..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#23 ·
View attachment 239793

She finally let me take a picture in the truck, it's not her favorite place to be..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have 3 Cavaliers and the oldest absolutely loves car rides; heck she loves going to the Vet's Office too, but our middle girl doesn't like rides at all... I swear her hair falls out and she does not move for 8 hour rides... The youngster is typical dog and loves to go ride too..

#24 ·
^^^ I totally understand

#31 · (Edited)
I got a good shot of the dogs in action while camping last weekend so I thought it was important I posted it here...

It's not clear from your post whether they ride like that when the truck is moving or only when you're hanging out at camp. But just a heads up from a former vet tech who has seen the aftermath of plenty of horrific accidents...if they do ride like that (or if you ever leave them in the bed unsupervised), they'd be a lot safer if they were cross tied and/or wearing harnesses. Dogs can and do fall or jump out of pickup beds, and with a long enough leash they can be strangled or dragged.

To contribute to the discussion, mine ride behind the front seats of my king cab. Except after they've been playing with skunks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.