High mileage oil ? - Page 2 - Nissan Frontier Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 04:07 AM
Shift_lurker
Premium Member
 
furcifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: In a puddle with my fellow pirates.
Posts: 28
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abmobil View Post
Nothing wrong with sticking to whatever oil you have been using , BUT high mileage oil is NOT marketing hype. There are some benefits , and it is not harmful in anyway.

Lets compare Regular Mobil 1 5W30 ,and M1 High Mileage 5W30 for example.

The high mileage oil actually has more synthetic content than the regular M1, mainly in the form of esters. These esters over time will slowly ,and safely help swell seals to reduce ,and in some cases eliminate leaks if you have them.

The HM oils also have more Zinc ,and Phos anti barrier additives. Regular M1 is somewhere around 800 ppm vs 1000 ppm for the HM version.

The HM oil will be on the thicker side. They don't offer a 5W35 but that is an example of how it would compare to the typical 5W30.

Used oil analysis have shown that VQ engines prefer a oil on the slightly thicker side.

I bought my 95 Hardbody V6 with 141k. It had a rear main seal leak. I have been using M1 HM 5W30 exclusively ,and it now has 160k .
The seal leak has easily been reduced by about 50%.

With that said, On the new cars I buy, I typically choose a good synthetic ,and stick with it the entire time , but on the used ones I buy that I have no history on, I go for the HM.
I have researched this previously.... till my eyes almost bled.....

Can you prove with an independent lab test that the HM oil with 1000 PPM of various esthers can help slowly and safely swell seals better than a standard oil
with only 800 ppm of various esthers?

Blackstone Labs?
SWRI?

I don't buy any of the High Mileage Hype. Why? Because not one single (major) engine oil company will back up their claims with an independant test result.
Which leads me to believe it is all marketing.

The mid size and smaller companies do, and use this information to justify much higher costs, such as Amsoil and Royal Purple.
http://www.trustedoil.com/Mobil_1_Oi..._vs_AMSOIL.htm


However, that added protection really isn't necessary as long as you use your automaker's recommended oil and follow their schedule.


"The fact is that virtually every motor oil that is sold these days will deliver
ample protection for the types of automobiles that most of us drive
provided, of course, that the oil is changed on schedule and that the oil
meets the automaker’s engine requirements. - Consumer Digest"


-Synthetic vs Conventional

“Synthetic doesn’t have a lot of meaning anymore,”
concedes Matthew Snider of GM. “A variety of products
can be legally marketed as synthetics.” All that the term
synthetic means is that Federal Trade Commission deems
that the oil has been sufficiently processed and modified to
qualify as “synthetic.”


Reference: Separating Facts from Friction | Best Motor Oil | Consumers Digest | Motor Oil | Consumers Digest

Another good oil resource is Bob is the Oil Guy

2012 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X

Last edited by furcifer; 05-17-2013 at 05:08 AM.
furcifer is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to furcifer For This Useful Post:
gtrplayr1976 (05-17-2013), yesterdaysradios (05-17-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Shift_Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 171
Thanks: 122
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abmobil View Post
Nothing wrong with sticking to whatever oil you have been using , BUT high mileage oil is NOT marketing hype. There are some benefits , and it is not harmful in anyway.

Lets compare Regular Mobil 1 5W30 ,and M1 High Mileage 5W30 for example.

The high mileage oil actually has more synthetic content than the regular M1, mainly in the form of esters. These esters over time will slowly ,and safely help swell seals to reduce ,and in some cases eliminate leaks if you have them.

The HM oils also have more Zinc ,and Phos anti barrier additives. Regular M1 is somewhere around 800 ppm vs 1000 ppm for the HM version.

The HM oil will be on the thicker side. They don't offer a 5W35 but that is an example of how it would compare to the typical 5W30.

Used oil analysis have shown that VQ engines prefer a oil on the slightly thicker side.

I bought my 95 Hardbody V6 with 141k. It had a rear main seal leak. I have been using M1 HM 5W30 exclusively ,and it now has 160k .
The seal leak has easily been reduced by about 50%.

With that said, On the new cars I buy, I typically choose a good synthetic ,and stick with it the entire time , but on the used ones I buy that I have no history on, I go for the HM.
Question ? If VQ engines prefer a heavier oil why do they recommend 5W-30 ? This is what I've been using.

My family is my life, and my life is my family.
2008 Frontier SE 4x4 Auto V6 Crew 108K

Last edited by gtrplayr1976; 05-17-2013 at 11:23 AM.
gtrplayr1976 is offline  
#13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 11:31 AM
Shift_Hardcore
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SE Montana
Posts: 1,016
Thanks: 6
Thanked 97 Times in 86 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I see many new engines take 0w-20.
09eq is offline  
#14 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Shift_Hardcore
 
yesterdaysradios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Davie County, NC
Posts: 1,882
Thanks: 56
Thanked 362 Times in 272 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrplayr1976 View Post
Question ? If VQ engines prefer a heavier oil why do they recommend 5W-30 ? This is what I've been using.
Your best bet is not to listen to people who didn't design the vehicle. I'd say the engineers who designed the engine know more about what oil to use, not some random internet "expert". Just follow the owners manual for recommended fluids and service intervals and you and your truck will be happy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2010 Frontier SE V6 CC LB, built 04-2010, purchased 07-2010
Current mods: OEM foglight kit, Weathertech molded mats, locking gas cap, OEM locking lug nuts, Clarion CX501 and Sirius Connect sc-c1, OEM mud flaps/splash guards, 3in. round blind spot mirrors, Nissan logo valve stem caps, rad/trans cooler bypass, rear axle vent mod, custom lower grill insert using black mesh gutter guard material, OEM auto dim rearview mirror w/temp & compass, OEM hood protector/bug shield, 35% tint on both front windows and a windshield strip, OEM body side molding, OEM step rails, 14in. tall metal radio antenna, OEM front tow hooks (true left and right hook), OEM rope hooks in the bed, OEM special edition emblem added to tailgate.
yesterdaysradios is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yesterdaysradios For This Useful Post:
chainsaw (05-18-2013), gtrplayr1976 (05-20-2013)
#15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 08:27 PM
Shift_Fanatic
 
Skibane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 671
Thanks: 7
Thanked 287 Times in 174 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesterdaysradios View Post
Your best bet is not to listen to people who didn't design the vehicle. I'd say the engineers who designed the engine know more about what oil to use, not some random internet "expert". Just follow the owners manual for recommended fluids and service intervals and you and your truck will be happy.
Here's the other side of that coin:

Engineers specify an oil for a variety of reasons - not all of which are in the interest of maximizing engine life. For example, there are also fuel economy (CAFE) targets to be met - which might be easier to satisfy with an oil that's thinner than the one that actually makes the engine last the longest. As long as the engine still meets its endurance target with the thinner oil, specifying it might be an acceptable trade-off for the engineers to make.

OTOH, as a vehicle owner, if you're more interested in maximum engine life than wringing the last 0.01 MPG out of your vehicle, your best oil choice might not necessarily be the same one the engineers made.

2012 Super Black Crew Cab SV 2WD, Retrax Pro bed cover, FT-7900R 2m/70cm ham radio

Last edited by Skibane; 05-17-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Skibane is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Skibane For This Useful Post:
chainsaw (05-18-2013)
#16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Shift_Fanatic
 
Abmobil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 706
Thanks: 14
Thanked 53 Times in 39 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by furcifer View Post
I have researched this previously.... till my eyes almost bled.....

Can you prove with an independent lab test that the HM oil with 1000 PPM of various esthers can help slowly and safely swell seals better than a standard oil
with only 800 ppm of various esthers?

Blackstone Labs?
SWRI?

I don't buy any of the High Mileage Hype. Why? Because not one single (major) engine oil company will back up their claims with an independant test result.
Which leads me to believe it is all marketing.

The mid size and smaller companies do, and use this information to justify much higher costs, such as Amsoil and Royal Purple.
Mobil 1 Extended Performance vs. AMSOIL


However, that added protection really isn't necessary as long as you use your automaker's recommended oil and follow their schedule.


"The fact is that virtually every motor oil that is sold these days will deliver
ample protection for the types of automobiles that most of us drive
provided, of course, that the oil is changed on schedule and that the oil
meets the automaker’s engine requirements. - Consumer Digest"


-Synthetic vs Conventional

“Synthetic doesn’t have a lot of meaning anymore,”
concedes Matthew Snider of GM. “A variety of products
can be legally marketed as synthetics.” All that the term
synthetic means is that Federal Trade Commission deems
that the oil has been sufficiently processed and modified to
qualify as “synthetic.”


Reference: Separating Facts from Friction | Best Motor Oil | Consumers Digest | Motor Oil | Consumers Digest

Another good oil resource is Bob is the Oil Guy
While doing your research you must not be taking the time to read everything you're scanning. No one said anything about 1000 ppm of Esters. I was referring to the Zinc Phos content.

Based on my OWN use, it has def reduced my Rear main seal leak as well as others on Bobs site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrplayr1976 View Post
Question ? If VQ engines prefer a heavier oil why do they recommend 5W-30 ? This is what I've been using.
5W30 is more than adequate. All 5w30's aren't created equally. 5W30 is a window. Some are slightly thicker or thinner depending on the brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesterdaysradios View Post
Your best bet is not to listen to people who didn't design the vehicle. I'd say the engineers who designed the engine know more about what oil to use, not some random internet "expert". Just follow the owners manual for recommended fluids and service intervals and you and your truck will be happy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
You are right, following the owners manual on most things should lead to a long lived truck. Obviously the engineers don't always get it right otherwise we wouldn't have silly issues like cross contamination and timing chain probs.......

The Used oil analysis back up my claims of the VQ preferring a slightly thicker 30 weight , but yes it will run fine on even the cheapest 5w30 available.



2012 CC SV 6 speed
Premium Utility Package

95 Hardbody V6
93 Hardbody 4 cyl

Last edited by Abmobil; 05-17-2013 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Abmobil is offline  
#17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 09:13 AM
Shift_lurker
Premium Member
 
furcifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: In a puddle with my fellow pirates.
Posts: 28
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abmobil View Post
While doing your research you must not be taking the time to read everything you're scanning. No one said anything about 1000 ppm of Esters. I was referring to the Zinc Phos content.

Based on my OWN use, it has def reduced my Rear main seal leak as well as others on Bobs site.
You are right, I re-read and saw that you were referring to phos and zinc content instead of esters.

2012 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
furcifer is offline  
#18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Shift_Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: brick nj
Posts: 101
Thanks: 10
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Since when is 100k or 200k HIGH MILES for a Nissan? I second the oil viscosity its not always best for higher mileage but for gas mileage. I use the recommended and change it at reg intervals. If done right 300k miles shouldn't be hard to get on our motors.... i'm at 176k and its flawless (except the timing chain guide that's been fixed) Shouldn't we worry more about transmission fluid?

Scott

2006 Frontier CC LE majestic blue 180k miles
rear diff vent mod, trans cooler bypassed and survived contamination issue, timing chain guides, fog light mod, hitch plug mod, 4in deckplate intake mod, white rhino bar with hella 500 HID conversion, ddm hid 4500k headlights, backup camera, access lowprofile cover, bilstein 5100 2in setting front, bilstein 5125 rear w/PRG 1.5 blocks
speedbuggy67 is offline  
#19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 12:06 PM
Shift_Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 171
Thanks: 122
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
[QUOTE=5W30 is more than adequate. All 5w30's aren't created equally. 5W30 is a window. Some are slightly thicker or thinner depending on the brand.[/QUOTE]

I have always used Castrol.

My family is my life, and my life is my family.
2008 Frontier SE 4x4 Auto V6 Crew 108K
gtrplayr1976 is offline  
#20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Shift_lurker
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: ca
Posts: 17
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't know if this really helps, but when i changed out my spark plugs at 100k i switched to high mileage oil. Before it would leak a little oil here and there and now i never see any oil on my cement. Only problem i had was my oil gauge bounced around in idle, but it doesn't do it anymore.
cstoltenberg is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to cstoltenberg For This Useful Post:
Abmobil (05-21-2013)
Reply

  Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On