Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Help with Wifeys mazda

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  goody 
#1 ·
I know this is a Nissan forum, but there are some pretty smart people here so I am going to explain something and see if anyone has an idea.

We have a Mazda CX-5 which for the most part has been great little SUV for the better half. Recently it started nose diving like it's throwing itself into a lower gear (when in Drive). RPM's shoot up over 6k and it whines it's way back down, meanwhile cannot shift out even putting it in manual mode, until we pull over and turn the vehicle off, and back on.

It is NOT throwing any codes, there are no pending codes, dealer has had vehicle over a week and cannot find a problem, even though it's repeated the issue...

I have equity in the vehicle, so a trading it in is not far fetched...but have no idea what I would go with as far as a same sized SUV.

Any Ideas on any of the above?

#2 ·
Sounds like a tranny, don't know much about the manual mode transmissions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Correct me if I am wrong here, but I suspect that the CX-5 has a CVT transmission. Being that a CVT transmission does not technically change gears, it just changes the gear ratio through porting of fluids it sounds as if the Transmission is directing fluid at the wrong time. This is likely the result of a bad sensor somewhere, the computer has some type of bug in it or the manifold within the transmission has leaking valves or something along those lines.

What I would do in your situation would highly depend on 1. is the vehicle (drivetrain) still under warranty? 2. If no to first question, what is the actual failure? Anything other than a sensor failure is going to be quite expensive to fix. 3. If not under warranty, what can I get for trading it in and is it worth that value compared to the value to fix it?

When I look at what my wife drives, I am pretty much willing to do just about anything to ensure that at the end of the day, she and likely the kids will make it home with out me having to save them. There are a lot of great vehicles in that class out there to choose from.

#4 ·
Correct me if I am wrong here, but I suspect that the CX-5 has a CVT transmission. Being that a CVT transmission does not technically change gears, it just changes the gear ratio through porting of fluids it sounds as if the Transmission is directing fluid at the wrong time. This is likely the result of a bad sensor somewhere, the computer has some type of bug in it or the manifold within the transmission has leaking valves or something along those lines.
The CX-5 does not have CVT. It's still under warranty but I don't have a warm and fuzzy that the dealership is going to do anything. They have done all the test and sent all the info to big Mazda asking them what to do next.

#5 ·
No CVT is a good thing, would cause me to look into the manifold anyway as the tranny is shifting down at the wrong time. Still also could be a sensor. Even dealership techs can be stumped from time to time, that is why they have the ability to ask their engineers for the systems.

I guess I would look at trading it in for something else. But be prepared to see a rather large deduction to the trade-in value because of this issue.

Good luck man, hope you get this resolved with out too much of a cost to your pocketbook or mental health.

#6 ·
If it's not drive able as it is they have to repair it. I had a Mazda truck and they were very good about warranty repairs. My engine pinged and they had a new head altered on a CNC machine and replaced the part and was perfect as opposed to trying to repair the head I had on the engine.
Give them the benefit of the doubt and make sure you videotape the truck while acting up so nobody can say differently and get the odometer reading in the video.

Clint

There are three rogues between me and my siblings, they are very nice especially theirs as they are both 2016's.

#7 ·
Thanks all. What ended up happening was Mazda paying it off, and giving me roughly 1k towards another newer model and higher trim level cx-5. They could never find the problem, but the techs did experience the same thing. I am not sure but they were saying something about the 2014 and the 2.0 engine they first came out with. They also brought down the price of the new one significantly to where we walked out under 25K for a 2016 Mazda cx-5 touring w/ sun/moon roof and bose stamped stereo and other upgrades. They did me right by far, and most importantly the wife is happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.