Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Help! Saturday night and my window is stuck down!!!

25K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  gisdude 
#1 · (Edited)
For all the wrenching I've done on vehicles, I've never worked on the insides of doors.

I'll worry about getting things fixed next week. Right now I really need to know how to get the window up without breaking anything.

Any advice about how to get things buttoned up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time!

Giff

Edit, this is an 06 Frontier and it's the drivers door window.

#2 ·
you should be able to just pop off the door panel and push the window up as long as the regulator isn't frozen or broken. Then you'll have to wedge something into it to hold it up or just stick a ziptie under the track to hold it up temporarily. Good luck

#5 ·
Mine is broken too. I hold the window switch up and slam the door shut at the same time. This can a take a couple tries. That is if your motor isn't completely dead. My window will pop up just enough that I can get grab it and pull it up. Hope this helps.

#7 ·
On my Pathfinder it was the drivers switch to the tune of $186, that stung.
Luckily I was able to temporarily swap the Frontier switch in to verify and close it.

Clint

#8 ·
On my Pathfinder it was the drivers switch to the tune of $186, that stung.
Luckily I was able to temporarily swap the Frontier switch in to verify and close it. Clint

So - since you know how to do the R&R - was that the parts price? Wow, that's high.

On my 2004 Frontier, the driver side window was slow to move up, especially as the temperatures cooled. Spraying the channels with aerosol silicone lube (O'Reillys) has appeared to solve that problem for over a year.

#9 ·
That's the price if both front windows have auto up and down, the other one is about $30 less. The switch pops out with the panel its sitting in, the lower side lifts first. Use a putty knife to pop it up. If you know someone with a Frontier it's very easy to do and try theirs out to make sure it's the cause of the issue. At a dealer they can try it and if good they are done, if not it's goes back to parts. The other front switch in the truck is only $21 as it's a single unit.

Clint

#10 ·
I don't know if this applies to you but that has happened to my Navara too, on my driver's side window and all it took was a weird combination of playing with the window's switch (I don't know what this function serves for but that was resolved by talking on the phone with my service in one minute). So, if you have the same setup as me there is good chance there is nothing broken.

Note: My driver's window switch, clicks after a certain point and then the window can go up or down on its own, without any further button pushing from you, if you don't "click" it, you can stop window movement by just releasing the button.

#11 ·
TANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # DWS391 Intermotor; Blade Terminals; Terminal Gender: Male; Switch Functions: Power Windows w/ Power Lock; Direct OE Replacement; Number of Terminals: 12; Connector Gender: Female One of our most popular parts
Front Left; Crew Cab Pickup
Part Image
$107.79

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # DWS532 Intermotor
Front Left; Extended Cab Pickup
Part Image
$107.79

Mine was the switch too. I replaced mine a few years ago for about the same price, I just remember it being about $150. You can take out the motor and test it if you want to be sure, which is what I did. It's a really easy part to replace, took about 15 minutes even with cleaning and lubricating the other pieces inside the door. These look like the right parts from Rock Auto at a huge discount.

#12 ·
I haven't fixed mine yet so i am not sure exactly what is wrong. I think my motor is bad. The switch broke once before and the window did not work at all. I put a new switch in and everything was fine for a while. The motor eventually got weaker and weaker, so I don't use the window anymore :(

#13 ·
I just went through this problem about 2 weeks ago.
I originally thought it was my switch going out. Had the switch "repaired", problem persisted. Noticed by fluke that the window would work sometimes after shutting my door. So out of curiosity sake, next time the window was stuck down I smacked the inside of the door with an open hand while working the switch. It worked. And worked everytime the window got stuck down. So, obviously it meant the actuator had gone bad, and took a thump to get it going.

#14 ·
Hi all. I just got my front passenger window to close after a couple of times of holding the switch and pulling the window from the bottom - that was pretty tough. It seems as though the cable could be bad? It souunds as if it's grinding or maybe off the track?

Since I have the door opened up and everything is exposed I'm going to Autozone tomorrow and get the aerosol silicone lube and try it. I would hate to think that all it takes is some lube to open and close the window.

Thanks for this good post!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.