2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help me decide...Pro4x vs TRD Offroad

I understand this is a frontier forum. I get it. But I am looking for help in deciding between these two trucks:

and

I used to have the frontier in automatic (2007). Loved the truck but it wasn't offered in manual back then. Now I am back in the mid size truck market and want a manual.

I used to have a Toyo SR5 V6 (1994). Manual. Awesome truck.

So I have known both companies and can be swayed either way.

I really like the tacoma and its styling.

Tacoma Pros:
- Look and styling
- Toyota Reliability
- After market options
- Maintains value

Tacoma Cons:
- I am not very excited about its engine.
- Drum brakes
- Cost

Frontier Pros:
- I actually like the styling and interior. I like that old school look and feel
- Engine
- Price

Frontier Cons:
- Bigger tires don't fit unless you get lift.
- Aftermarket is limited

Just looking for any ideas from Frontier members…..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 12:13 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Garage
I worked as a tech for the local Toyota dealership for 5 yrs. That 94 Toyota 3vze you refer to as awesome is the main reason I will never own another Toyota. Did you keep yours long enough for it to turn into the Chattanooga ChooChoo? I used to love watching them drive in pumping antifreeze out the tailpipe. Then came the 3.4l, and the antifreeze waterfalls down the front of the block. When they built them in Japan the were "Awesome" now its a legacy that follows them, I don't believe them to be any more reliable than anyone else(xcept Chevy). I like that I saved enough money to buy a lot of other nice stuff for me and my truck. Thanks Nissan!!

2012 Avalanche CCSB 4x4 SV Sport Package
What's Done- Hefty Fab Sliders, Leer Canopy, Y-pipe mod, Funky Fronty sticker peeled, Gentex Homelink mirror w/temp, Prodigy P2 brake controller, 7-pin in bumper, axle vent mod, AudioControl LC7i l.o.c./Kenwood X801 5 ch amp/Polk DB651 x4/Pioneer TS-SW2502S4 10" sub.
Hanoook Dynapro ATM 275/65/18,
F. Bilstien 5100s @ 1.5" + a 1/2" PRG Spacer, Nissan Camber bolts,
R. 1.5" PRG Blocks & Firestone Ride Rite bags #2558

What's Next- SPC UCAs, Hefty Alum Skids ...

20 Rigs in 20 yrs of driving! Will this be the Last???

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutFrontFrontier For This Useful Post:
4thNissan'05 (03-13-2017), koots (11-09-2016)
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 12:25 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMAC1 View Post

Frontier Cons:
- Bigger tires don't fit unless you get lift.
- Aftermarket is limited

Just looking for any ideas from Frontier members…..
I'll argue your cons...285s fit without a lift and you'll be able to find plenty of parts for the Frontier. It still amazes me when people say the aftermarket is limited. You can get just about anything you need.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

R. Long
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
"The first time you forget to turn off the VDC before the stink, will also be the last time you forget to turn off your VDC before the stink."
The Following User Says Thank You to RikRong For This Useful Post:
AndysLog (11-07-2016)

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 12:29 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
I believe you have been misinformed OP.

Toyota reliability has gone by the wayside (lots of friends are Toyota techs). The 2016 model year has had many many many issues. Plus, I am not paying $35k for a truck with drums in the rear. Even the big 3 have stepped up to disc all the way around.

All in all, it depends on what you need. I like the Tacoma for styling, ease of finding aftermarket parts and fuel economy. However, I need a truck, not a car with a bed. That's why I have a frontier

Btw, the frontiers can fit 33's with no lift, always available in 6speed unless you want a cc long bed and forget fuel economy I drive a truck!
The Following User Says Thank You to drewbie For This Useful Post:
RikRong (11-06-2016)
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 12:35 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Garage
Go read up on Tacoma World for the new gen Tacoma. Its got enough issues that it moved me to a PRO-4X and I had a major hard on for the new Tacoma. If you want to build it out, aftermarket support for the frontier is a bit less but for the main things you'd need to do to the truck, everything is available and for a similar price. IMO the Frontier is a better buy and is just as capable off road as my 2012 Tacoma TRD O/R was.
The new Taco may look good but the drivetrain issues (CPS, Trans, Drive line vibrations etc) make it not an appealing buy.

2014 Audi S4 P+ - Stage 1+
2016 Nissan Frontier PRO4X CCSB - TBD
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 01:20 PM
Administrator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Thanked 1,721 Times in 983 Posts
Garage
Brands aside, I think there is something to be said for buying a vehicle late in it's generation cycle. I had a late 1st gen Tacoma (02) and pretty much put brakes and tires on it in 213k miles. Best vehicle I had owned at that point.

Likewise, buying a frontier now, late in it's gen cycle, seems like a very wise choice in both longevity and value, if you are ok with a little less 'fancy', and want to keep your vehicle a long time.

-- Brian
'13 Pro4X CC / AT, BFG KO2s 265-75-16, BakflipG2, Curt Hitch, Pathy Plates, OEM Steps & Bug Deflector, 20% 3M Color Stable Tint, 7pin Trailer Plug Mounted in Bumper Mod, Powerstop Z23 Rotors & Pads

Last edited by 2013Pro4X; 11-06-2016 at 01:46 PM.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 01:38 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutFrontFrontier View Post
I worked as a tech for the local Toyota dealership for 5 yrs. That 94 Toyota 3vze you refer to as awesome is the main reason I will never own another Toyota. Did you keep yours long enough for it to turn into the Chattanooga ChooChoo? I used to love watching them drive in pumping antifreeze out the tailpipe. Then came the 3.4l, and the antifreeze waterfalls down the front of the block. When they built them in Japan the were "Awesome" now its a legacy that follows them, I don't believe them to be any more reliable than anyone else(xcept Chevy). I like that I saved enough money to buy a lot of other nice stuff for me and my truck. Thanks Nissan!!
Chevy has their issues too, the new suburban triplets were on the 10 least reliable vehicles list.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 02:10 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
OP
Go drive each vehicle. Buy the one you like.

I had a 06 Tacoma Sport 4x4 with the 4.0L, auto. It was a good vehicle. I have test drove the new 2016 Tacoma and find it lacking and over priced for what Toyota is offering.
When compared to the Frontier, Nissan provides more bang for the buck , and has a proven drive train.

Again, buy what you like and can afford.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 03:27 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Impress yourself most of all...then you'll be buying w/ your heart.

No 6-sp KC, just CC this year.

FWIW, Consumer Reports has Frontier in the mid-size PU truck lead by a fair margin in latest edition. Taco at bottom behind GM twins.

________
'15 SV KC, 4.0 V6, 6-sp, 4x2 Worktruck & DD
VTP items = Standard Equipment on SV 6-sp
ARE TW bedshell, Ride-Rite air springs, Morimoto XB LED fogs, OEM mud flaps/step rails, Bully Hitch Step,
AVS Aeroskin, WeatherTech Digi-Fit, Wheelskins leather steering wheel cover, Wet Okole, Ceramic tint,
265/70-16 Michelin Defender LTX M/S
Amsoil => VQ40/6M/M226
________
'00 XE KC, 2.4 I4, 5-sp, 4x2 ~SOLD~
ATC Bedshell, Kenwood/HAT/Boston Acoustics
185K w/ original distributor, cats & clutch
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 04:53 PM
Shift_lurker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a coworker that just made this decision, and he went with the TRD. He told me his only reason for going with the TRD over the Pro-4x was that the Nissan seemed "dated".

I bought my Pro-4x 2 months ago for the opposite reason, the drive train and offroad capabilities are tried and true in the Nissan. Gas mileage may lack a little bit and the style may not have changed for over a decade, but I buy for usage. I do like the Frontier look more than the Toyota as well.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.