Grinding/rubbing sound with sharp left or right: Normal? - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Grinding/rubbing sound with sharp left or right: Normal?

Grinding sound with sharp left or right: Normal?

Not really going that fast, but when I make a turn into a street, etc, sometimes I hear a grinding/rubbing sound? Is that normal.

VDC kicking in or something? I'm probably doing about 20mph sometimes.

Sorry if this topic has already been covered.

I have the window down and radio off, when I hear this..

Last edited by turtoni; 03-14-2013 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Added more detail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Re: Grinding/rubbing sound with sharp left or right: Normal?

Do u have enough power steering fluid in the reservoir? Good place to start looking.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2013 NISSAN FRONTIER PRO4X CC MANUAL 6SPD
PERFORMANCE:NISMO CAI, 350Z NISMO T-STAT, AIRAID THROTTLE BODY SPACER, BANKS MONSTER CATBACK EXHAUST, BULLY DOG GT TUNER
EXTERIOR: HOME FABBED TIRE RACK ON UTILITRACK, CUSTOM SKID RADIATOR SKID AND HOOK PAINTED RED, WHITE RHINO LIGHT BAR WITH PIAA 520 ION CRYSTAL DRIVING LIGHTS
INTERIOR: A-PILLAR GAUGE POD, WAITING ON GAUGES
FUTURE:33" KM2 TIRES, NISMO HEADERS, BILSTEIN/OME HD SPRINGS.

#3 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLOS_PRO4X View Post
Do u have enough power steering fluid in the reservoir? Good place to start looking.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Truck is brand newish. Have you listened for any sounds? I'm kinda anal about stuff, so I guess i'm really listening hard to hear things.. But it's definitely there.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 11:33 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

I had something similar on my 07. When I turned hard to the left I'd hear a grinding noise. It turned out to be my right side caliper was starting to seize up. Do you have excessive brake dust on any wheels? If you go to an empty parking lot a drive in circulars can you recreate the sound?

Ryan

Edit: on second thought do you have mud flaps or bigger tires? Maybe the tire is contacting something in the fender?
#5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 11:35 PM
Shift_Obsessed

newish? I would go by the dealer, ask for a tech to take a ride and let him have a listen. dont leave it and expect them to be able to hear it.

Also, my first guess would be tire scrub. some vehicles and tires are worse than others.

Being new, puts oversized tires low on the list of causes.

00KCDRXE
13CC4x4SV
#6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 12:35 AM
Shift_lurker

Odd. Thought this might have been a common situation and just the electronics kicking in ready for taking over if things got out of hand. Guess not, if nobody else is hearing this, when taking a hard right or left turn, without really slowing down to 10mph, etc, then I might have a problem. Hmmm. Maybe the mud flaps. Going to look under the truck sometime soon and see if there is any evidence of anything rubbing.

Still think people maybe aren't listening as closely as I am, when making a hard turn at 15+mph. Maybe some of you will check this out. Roll your window down and when turning onto your street, if safe, go at it above 15mph, and see if you hear anything. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan B View Post
I had something similar on my 07. When I turned hard to the left I'd hear a grinding noise. It turned out to be my right side caliper was starting to seize up. Do you have excessive brake dust on any wheels? If you go to an empty parking lot a drive in circulars can you recreate the sound?

Ryan

Edit: on second thought do you have mud flaps or bigger tires? Maybe the tire is contacting something in the fender?
Have the OEM mud flaps. Good idea about testing in a parking lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathster View Post
newish? I would go by the dealer, ask for a tech to take a ride and let him have a listen. dont leave it and expect them to be able to hear it.

Also, my first guess would be tire scrub. some vehicles and tires are worse than others.

Being new, puts oversized tires low on the list of causes.
Could be tire scrub I guess. Maybe the new tires running in? These are not oversized. It's a 4x4 KC SV V6. That's it and nothing more really. Think all the SV come with mud flaps too.

Last edited by turtoni; 03-15-2013 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
#7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 4,411 Times in 2,469 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtoni View Post
Still think people maybe aren't listening as closely as I am, when making a hard turn at 15+mph. Maybe some of you will check this out. Roll your window down and when turning onto your street, if safe, go at it above 15mph, and see if you hear anything. Thanks.
My truck doesn't make the noise you are describing.

Fender liners intact? I've lost a bunch of screws out of mine.

Any chance it's only occurring the first time you reach 15-20 mph after starting the truck, but not after that?

-Jennifer

Report a bad/flaming/illegal post by clicking on

Suspension Lift Info 05+

2009 SE King Cab 4x4 6 speed
#8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 03:16 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Probably the shield on your brake rotor. Its easy to bend when removing or installing the wheels. when turning it flexes the rotor just enough to rub the dust sheild and make a rubbing/grinding noise. If this is the case, simply bend it back away from the rotor a bit
#9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 01:55 PM
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt.aero View Post
Probably the shield on your brake rotor. Its easy to bend when removing or installing the wheels. when turning it flexes the rotor just enough to rub the dust sheild and make a rubbing/grinding noise. If this is the case, simply bend it back away from the rotor a bit
Oh ok. I'll take a look at that. Thanks for all the replies. I'll update the thread with my findings.

But it's my weekend on!
#10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 02:06 PM
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeniorNV View Post
My truck doesn't make the noise you are describing.

Fender liners intact? I've lost a bunch of screws out of mine.

Any chance it's only occurring the first time you reach 15-20 mph after starting the truck, but not after that?
Seems to always happen. Usually I slow down a fair amount but sometimes, if it's safe, I like to pull into/out of a right or left 45 degree turn fairly quickly (like pulling out of a street onto a 3 lane highway) and that's when I can hear the sound, when I lay the gas on and the turning radius is sharp.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.