Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Grab a 2016 instead of waiting for the next gen.

6K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  keithert 
#1 ·
I have been thinking of upgrading to a 2016 Pro-4X instead of waiting for the US version of the Navarra .
Dealership confirmed they will match KBB (22K) trade in value
and I will work in a Costco discount and save as much as I can on the deal.
If the 2017 models are not as popular and lack some of the current options, I will be very happy with my 2016 model.
Currently the used truck market is strong and dealerships are happy to work out trades.
I really do like the 3rd Gen. trucks, My 2011 has been flawless.
I expect the 2016's to be just fine for many years to come.
I can get a lot of truck, options and features for less than what I would pay for the GM twins.(with a sunroof)
If the 4th Gen. is all that, I might be able to swap into it in a few years without losing too much either but, I know I will pay dearly for my love of these trucks.
The dealership has a Glacier White one on the way for me to "look at".

#2 ·
Is 2017 for sure the new body style?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I'm old school so I would not buy the first year of anything. Wait a year or two for Nissan to work the bugs and recalls out. Dealers also get MSRP plus markup for the introduction of a new model. Factories also artificially reduce supply of first year models to drive up demand and prices. Who knows, the 2019 Frontier could have the Holy Grail diesel too.
A 2016 gen 2 will be as good as it gets..plus super deals.

#6 ·
+1 on not wanting to buy a new model the first couple years it is out. I'm on the opposite end of things and always buy when. Vehicles are a within 3 years of being upgraded. New or used. So I know the kinks have been worked out.

#8 ·
There's lots of guys here that don't think 2017 will be the new model. I'm on the other side of the coin, I'd rather have the new model- largely because I think they'll be offering a 4cyl. diesel in it and that is what I have been looking for. The GM twins have experienced some troubles, mostly minor, so that point about avoiding the new model for the most trouble free experience still carries weight. The comment about them selling above MSRP did not apply to either the Colorado/Canyon or the diesel versions, even though they were in short supply. That part about supply of a new model being strangled to drive the price up I don't agree with, if there is low production I think it has more to do with the production line still getting things worked out. There is also the need for the manufacturer to accurately guess how much demand there will be for a new model and get production and parts in readiness for a market they haven't experienced yet.

#9 ·
More important to some than others to be the first on their block. I see both sides...but given the choice, would prefer to err on the side of caution. To each their own as they say. Just glad to have my '15...it has been solid thus far.

Hope we hear something one way or the other as to when the redesign will surface. If the Ranger beats the Frontier to the marketplace, it is possible Nissan will be caught holding the short end of the stick.

I still think/call Ford's idea to discontinue their Ranger a few years back a huge mistake on their part.

#13 ·
It's a good time to be in the market for a 2016 right now. Local dealer group still offering 3K discounts on Frontiers just like last month and giving high trade in values on clean low mile trucks. That's a fine position to start negotiating from.

#16 ·
I agree on the pricing. I continue to look around at pricing even after purchasing a 2016 a little over 2 weeks ago and it appears that deals can be had in the $3K below MSRP +TT range more or less (depending on model, availability etc.).

I think at times if I should of held out for a Gen3. I like the 2nd gens but as others have said time and time again these trucks have basically been the same since 2005. I am very curious on what the actual comparative pricing (increase in MSPR + reduction in savings below MSRP) in addition to the new/added features!

#14 ·
I now have a 2016 Tacoma. Even they are having first year issues. If you like the current model Frontier buy one now. I think the new one won't offer a sunroof in lower models like the current SV model can have. I like a sunroof so that would make the new model cost a lot more.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

#15 ·
I picked up a '16 as my first Frontier and I love it, however there are so many out there and the fact that it looks identical (minus the forged copper color) to older Frontiers kinda makes me feel like it's less of a new truck. I'm happy to have an updated center console and larger in dash screen, but I imagine these sort of things might get old for a previous Frontier owner. I catch myself looking at the new Tacos, but like Keithert said, they are still kinda working out some bugs I've heard.

I don't think you can really go wrong. Best of luck my friend,

#17 ·
There is plenty of information out there on what the new model(s) look like, the specs and prices. With a little research and conversions you can come away with a solid idea of what to expect once the suite and ties throw it on us. Sure there will be country specific configurations and prices but the new Frontier is not so new in other markets.

#21 ·
Understood. I have looked and read up on the Navara some but honestly have not taken the time to really dig into the details on specific options and pricing etc. I know the info is out there! Just was saying it will be interesting when it hits the US market to compare prices and specific differences side by side with the last of the 2nd gen.

#23 · (Edited)
An article I read today stated Jan 2017 for release date.

Here is a fun video on the 2016 Navarra.

https://youtu.be/777Z_z4RwKY
Pretty cool, didn't mention other engine options or manual trans?

At 1.17sec in the video, does anybody think the engineers of tow hitches intended them to be used that way? I see this done here and there by other people. But I always thought tow hitches should be flipped the other way. Anyone got more insight into the use of tow hitches position?

#25 ·
I was not aware , until I watched that video about the non-solid axle / independent rear suspension.
I wonder how that IRS would be for lifting and or a off-road trim level with a factory rear diff lock offered?
Maybe the US model will have a solid rear axle?

#27 ·
I believe they are meant to be used either way; raise or drop depending on the orientation. I have always flipped them over to level my trailer.

#34 ·
Where I live and work in the Denver area, I see a lot of stuff being road tested in camo. Example, I saw the Hellcat being road tested probably two months before I heard about it online. The new Charger and 300 were old news to me when MT and R&T posted spy shots. The new Titan has been being road tested since mid-2014, diesel and gas. Chevy and Ram are road testing new pickups in partial camo, there is something that looks like a mid-size pickup with a topper being road tested as well, have only seen it early am hours, not able to get a good pic of it. MB has been testing an SUV and a sedan in full camo, body lines are pretty easy to tell as MB.

#37 ·
I know there are lots of places to read about the new NP300, but I found this one to be better than many: http://www.netcarshow.com/nissan/2016-np300_navara/

They're talking about the Navarra that is made in Spain and intended for the European market, so there may be differences to other parts of the world as well as to what may come here. I noticed the bed length for the king cab is listed as 1788mm, which translates to barely over 70 inches, and the crew cab has a 62 inch bed, sounds like long bed w/ crew cab isn't an option.

Another thing I took note of is that this is the 12th generation of Nissan pickup truck, so I guess I've got an 8th gen! Anyway, right now it's just entertainment value as far as I'm concerned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.