Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Going to look at a 2014 Frontier CC Pro-4X on the weekend; need advice/thoughts

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  RobFrisco415 
#1 · (Edited)
***UPDATE. Bought the truck! Pics attached

First of all, I apologise if somehow this becomes a duplicate thread. I posted this yesterday but somehow it did not get posted.

So I am going to a dealership tomorrow to take a look at a 2014 Frontier PRO-4X CC (40K) and I have a few questions. To give you some background, I've always been a Tacoma fan as my dad had an 81' Toyota Pickup and 03' Tacoma with 800k and currently 300k respectively. Both those truck never required any repairs other than an alternator on the 81. Anyway, the Tacoma is out of my price range at this point in my life but upon research on mid-size trucks, I've become quite the Frontier fan due to the pricing and value. I'm currently driving a 2011 G37 xS and will be trading for what I believe/hoping this 'buy it for life' purchase. the G37 is a great vehicle but I think a truck would be less stressful - cheaper gas, cheaper maintenance, lower insurance, don't have to keep it clean 24/7, functional space for my dog, and something i can explore Alberta with during the summer.

I have a few questions about the truck in general:

1. How does the offroad Pro-4x suspension handle compared to the non Pro-4x suspension? I'm asking specifically for on-road instances -city/highway. I primarily do 70% city driving and 30% free/high way driving.

2.Does the Pro-4x require any more significant effort/cost to maintain? for example, oil changes I know the skid plates have been a problem on older Frontiers but in general, I don't want to be paying more for maintaining this truck because of a trim level. I can/have done basic maintenance on vehicles in the past but I am by no means a regular mechanic. Much of the maintenance may go to the dealership and but long term i would take over (once the warranty is over).

3.How is the road noise? Is it truly unbearable like I have read before? My Infiniti is surprisingly loud so I am use to some noise. My only other benchmark would be driving my dad's 03' Tacoma and that thing is loud not too too bad.

4.Does the roof-rack cause you any problems? road noise? parking? general height restraint issues? Does anyone have an exact height of the Frontier with the roof rack installed? I frequent downtown so I don't want to limit myself from parking in parkades. This will be my daily driver so functionality
in the city is a concern of mine.

5.In general, is there anything i should look for or ask specifically this weekend when checking out the truck? about the Pro-4x package?

any other thoughts?

Your help is much appreciated! I'm excited to be a member of the Frontier Community. Thanks to all. ::smile::

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
W/ 40K miles you might be looking at new tires soon if originals are still on there. Tires (style/function) can be a large source of road noise...especially if not managed over their lifespan.

Using an independent mechanic or quick-oil-change place will save some bucks for regular maintenance/fluid changes if you'd rather not tend to it.

IFF parking in your garage...measure the truck and your entrance height twice!! This applies to any suspension/body lifts, too.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response. I'm in Canada so 40K is actually ~25K miles. Once the original factory tires go I will probably go to something more sleek.

I don't mind tending to maintenance. I just wasn't sure if the skid plates are too much of a hindrance while working on it.

#4 ·
1. How does the offroad Pro-4x suspension handle compared to the non Pro-4x suspension? I'm asking specifically for on-road instances -city/highway. I primarily do 70% city driving and 30% free/high way driving.
The Pro-4X sits a bit taller (higher) than the regular 4x4 packages SE/LE, etc. The ride quality / feel difference is minimal

2.Does the Pro-4x require any more significant effort/cost to maintain? for example, oil changes I know the skid plates have been a problem on older Frontiers but in general, I don't want to be paying more for maintaining this truck because of a trim level. I can/have done basic maintenance on vehicles in the past but I am by no means a regular mechanic. Much of the maintenance may go to the dealership and but long term i would take over (once the warranty is over).
No more maintenance costs than a non Pro-4X 4 wheel drive Frontier. The factory skid plates have an opening to access the oil filter ... to change the transmission or transfer case fluids the skids will need to be removed - not a big deal IMHO

3.How is the road noise? Is it truly unbearable like I have read before? My Infiniti is surprisingly loud so I am use to some noise. My only other benchmark would be driving my dad's 03' Tacoma and that thing is loud not too too bad.
Road noise is in direct relation to the type of tires ... I know that some CF members that are true audiophiles will add sound deadening materials to their truck cabs to reduce any external noise. Take the 2014 on the interstate (test drive) and evaluate it for yourself

4.Does the roof-rack cause you any problems? road noise? parking? general height restraint issues? Does anyone have an exact height of the Frontier with the roof rack installed? I frequent downtown so I don't want to limit myself from parking in parkades. This will be my daily driver so functionality
in the city is a concern of mine. Height with roof rack is listed as 73.9 inches

5.In general, is there anything i should look for or ask specifically this weekend when checking out the truck? about the Pro-4x package?

any other thoughts?
The rear "E" (electronic) differential locker, bilstein shocks, factory skids plates, upgraded cloth interior are all nice additional features on the Pro-4X

Here's a pretty good article from the interweb that you might read
2013 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X review: A Frontier, challenging the offroad frontier - CarBuzzard: Car reviews, auto news, photos, history and more

#5 ·
Replace shocks on non-Pro with Bilstein and the rest is the same. Ride quality good I think and tires have major impact. Maintenance the same - front skid does not need to come off for oil change but tran and transfer skid must come off for these and it is easy, remove two bolts and loosen two others. Road noise is low - again tires have major impact. I don't have roof rack but have tall topper and have had no problems in garages, car washes, drive-thrus etc.

I would take careful look underneath and assess any damage. It may have been driven by little old lady to grocery store but especially with 4x4s, may have been driven hard and beat to hell offroad. I've had mine for nearly 8 years and continue to like it more all the time - goes anyplace I want offroad - down the highway at 85 mph all day - drives and handles nice and pretty comfortable, smooth, and quiet. I have a '15 4Runner Limited also - and would just as soon drive my Equa-tier.

#6 ·
When I bought my 2014 Pro-4x, I had also driven an SL - I thought the ride on the Pro-4x was better, probably due to the shocks and taller tire profile. I park mine in an indoor ramp, no problem. I remove the skid plate when I change oil, easy to do.

#7 ·
Thanks for the responses!

I took a look at the truck on the weekend and it looks great. Pricing was very competitive relative to the market (i actually know the manager there) but we ran the car fax and I saw that the truck was in an accident which cost $4000CAN to replace the rear bumper. I'm somewhat hesitant to buy a vehicle that has been in an accident. I'm thinking that based on the $4000 repair that the accident must have been quite minor? What are your thoughts? Other than that, the truck looked great. Any advice on what I should do?

Thanks again!

#13 ·
We had a pretty decent snow back on Mar 14 (not quite a blizzard here, but the coast met the requirements) heavy wet snow, 3"/hr.... fella in a prius was driving in the right lane, hazards on, (this was a 2-lane 1-way road) and just as I was coming up on him he decides to take a Hard LEFT (cutting me off). big dent on rt side fender, him hitting me pushed me straight in line to hit a phone pole and narrowly missed it with only a big dent in the left fender.

repair estimate: replace L&R front fenders, paint, blend/colormatch bumper, hood, doors. $2k USD. to replace & paint front fenders.

As long as the dealer will warranty it or have the bodyshop verify the frame is square it should be fine. My ONLY concern would be that the rear of the frame was dink-toe'd. Likely it was R&R bumper, tailgate & taillights.

Suspension is the same pro vs non-pro aside from Bilstein shocks. Maint is the same, and very easy. stock "skids" come off with 2-4 bolts each. If you want quiet road noise, get some good highway tires. noise is similar between my truck and my Hyundai Elantra. Its not a Cadillac. However, adding some sound deadener to the doors and rear wall will SUBSTANTIALLY quiet the in-cabin noise. The floor is pretty well damped from the factory (no drum effect) but adding here will take it to the next level. The roof rack does cause noise, about teh same as any aero-bar or large bar rack. You will only notice it if you go back to back between a truck with and without rack.
Make it part of the deal that they change the oils (trans, xfer, diffs, engine) while they're in the diffs they can verify there's no abnormal wear. Also you can make it part of the deal that they send a sample of the transmisson fluid to Blackstone to verify the trans has not been hurt at all (towed heavy loads over mtns hammer-down for example).
Look at the undercarrige for signs of damage, long scrapes/gouges on the framerails, heavy dents on the front crossmembers, gouges on the rear diff. if the previous owner offroaded it, there will be evidence there. No evidence then they either didn't wheel or they were very careful with it.

A tonneau cover is a great addition. I bought mine @ realtruck.com but there's plenty others. Before going crazy modding it, be sure to wheel it as-is before you think you need to do anything other than a good set of AT tires. This is a very capable truck. The traction control will get you through stuff you wouldn't believe. I get through on 32" tires I watch jeeps on 33"&lockers or 35"s struggle on. I just let the traction control work it. There ARE times a locker or 2 would have been helpful, but I take great pride when I watch a jeep get winched over an obstacle and he tells me "I'll set up to pull you over... " and before he's finished talking I'm through it...

#8 ·
Some joker backed into the front driver's side corner of my '15 SV. $3300 and it was purely cosmetic.
Any way to hunt down the details? Police report?

#10 ·
Bumper, taillight and a tailgate along with prep/paint = BOOM = could/would add up real fast.

#11 ·
I said f*** go big or go home and went with the Pro4x aka SNOW WHITE :cool:
*Still cant believe I fell in love with a Nissan

#14 ·
I had a 2010 XE for 4 years. (Which is the second from the top trim. They call it the SV now.) Crew Cab Long Wheelbase with leather and a few other upgrades. About 3 weeks ago I decided to upgrade so I got a brand new 2016 Pro-4X with the Lux package and installed a ton of accessories. I am so happy I did. Even with the Lux package there was a few things that were added that I liked more (Sunroof, Blistien shocks, locking dif. Here is what I can say specifically in my experience from the XE to the Pro-4X:

The Pro-4X handles so much better. I didn't really pay attention at first but when I went for the test drive my Girlfriend went with me and she said it was a much smoother ride. After a few weeks I can say it is indeed. It takes corners better, handles potholes and speed bumps, and just feels better even just cruising on the haighway. I will say the steering is quite a bit more sensitive and even jerky a little but that may be because of the Short Wheelbase vs Long Wheelbase. (Note: the Pro-4X is only available in the Short Wheelbase so that was one thing I had to give up.)

I didn't have to do anything to my 2010 other than new brakes at 90K, fill the antifreeze that was low, and a new battery at 100K. These will all be similar to the Pro-4X, not trim specific. I went to the dealership yesterday to have the tow hitch installed and while I was there I asked them about maintenance and the only thing they told me was not to tow until I hit 1,000 mi and to only use synthetic (Which I do anyway) I don't see any extra maintenance due to the package.

Road noise is SO MUCH BETTER on the Pro-4X! On my old truck it was very loud and had a constant humming especially at 60+ mph. Even in the city it was annoying. My Pro-4X has stock tires/wheels and it is silent inside. I will say the sunroof is really loud even if you crack it just a little but I am looking into a visor for it, I heard that cuts down on noise.

in the city is a concern of mine.

I have had an '02 Xterra, '10 Frontier and now the '16 Pro-4X and no issues with the roof rack. One time I went into a parking garage in my Xterra with skis on top and it scraped, but with the skis off it was fine. No issues with the 2010 and with my new Pro-4X the only thing I have seen is when adjusting the cross bar be careful not to tighten them down too tight. I was really cranking on mine and I stripped it so now it just spins but it is still tight enough that it holds fine so I won't worry about it. I always run a ski rack in the winter and the only issue I have now is it whistles about 35+ mph. When I take it off it is fine so I can't really blame the truck roof rack.

The only thing I can say is certain things are limiting depending on what trim you get. I wanted to get everything that Nissan offers but you can't do that. Example: The manual transmission is only offered on the lower packages. If you want the manual trans you can't get leather. Also, the long bed is not available in the Pro-4X. I added a lot of accessories myself so the only thing I wasn't able to get was the long bed and manual trans but other than that I pretty much got the full accessory catalogue.

#19 ·
Congrats on the truck! A little late to the party, but I feel like commenting on one of your original questions anyways. As far as ride on a Pro4x vs non-pro 4x4: I test drove a 16'Pro4x and the '16SV 4x4 back to back when shopping. I liked the ride of the Pro4x much better. It felt more compliant and grounded, only marginally but noticeable. The slightly taller tires and the different shocks on the Pro4x I believe are what made the difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.