Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Gibson Cat-Back Exhaust

14K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  NeonspeedRT 
#1 · (Edited)
I picked up 2016 Pro4x yesterday from Gibson Performance. They did some R&D on my truck and gave me a free exhaust system.

https://youtu.be/Q8HnU2l2ggc

I just spoke with Gibson Performance (Mike from R&D) today and they looking for a newer model Frontier King or Crew Cab "Long Bed" 2014-2016. If you are in the Southern California area and willing to let Gibson use your truck for R&D there is a free cat-back exhaust system for you.

Gibson Performance Exhaust

Your truck must meet the requirements. Ask for Mike from R&D and let him know I (Hank) referred you

#5 ·
Sounds a little "fart can" to me...

#7 ·
I have had one on my truck for 3 years. It would have been easy to install if it had fit correctly, unfortunately it didn't. I posted my experience with Gibson trying to get them to either replace it or refund my money, they did neither. That thread has disappeared. Anyway I cut about 3 inches off the cross over pipe relocated one hanger and bent another one. I did get it to fit and after fooling with it for a while even got it to quit rattling.

It sounds OK except for a drone at about 52 to 58 mph that isn't too bad. The stainless steel has started to rust despite the truck being garaged and kept in a dry climate. But it looks like surface rust and hopefully won't rust through. The pretty chrome tip has rust all over it so I'll try to find another one the same size at the auto parts store.

Would I buy another one? Not after my rather dismal customer service experience. But who knows maybe they have changed their ways.

#8 · (Edited)
I have a Gibson exhaust on my KC standard bed, which is the long bed for a crew cab. The exhaust fit perfect for me, didn't have cut the cross over pipe at all? Just follow the instructions and hand tighten things until you get the whole system lined up properly. I think it's quieter than the MagnaFlow I had but I'm glad the Gibson replaces the crossover pipe, the MagnaFlow didn't.

P# in my signature

Attachments

#10 ·
I didn't tell the whole story because I didn't want my post to be too long. The first call to Gibson they admitted they had some fitment problems on a few systems because they hadn't been allowing them to cool enough after they were bent and the bend radius would change when they were stored, at least that's as close as I can remember. Yes, I follow instructions with things such as this, do not tighten before it is all in place, etc. But there was absolutely no way this system would fit without modifications. After explaining the problem I ask Gibson if I could try to modify the system since I had already started to install it, and still get a refund or new system if it didn't line up correctly. They said yes, until I called back and ask for an RMA. Then they said they wouldn't take it back because I had modified it.

It turned out OK for me because it fit pretty good after I cut the crossover pipe, drilled new holes for one mounting bracket and bent some other things to get it away from the spare tire. I don't have warm fuzzy feelings toward Gibson, they told me I could send it back after trying to modify it and then they went back on their word. But that was 3 years ago and I'm sure they have fixed their manufacturing problems and maybe even hired a new guy to deal with customer returns.

#9 ·
I picked up 2016 Pro4x yesterday from Gibson Performance. They did some R&D on my truck and gave me a free exhaust system.

https://youtu.be/Q8HnU2l2ggc

I just spoke with Gibson Performance (Mike from R&D) today and they do not have an exhaust system for a newer model Frontier King or Crew Cab "Long Bed" 2014-2016. If you are in the Southern California area and willing to let Gibson use your truck for R&D there is a free cat-back exhaust system for you.

Gibson Performance Exhaust

Your truck must meet the requirements. Ask for Mike from R&D and let him know I (Hank) referred you
Your truck is the same exact as the first year they made the CC with a long bed, this truck hasn't changed in 11yrs.

#17 ·
I'm sure they are aware of that by now. As they stated to me for my 2016 that they needed a newer model to verify fitment so that they can document and certify it.

I posted this to help out the folks here who are located in SoCal to get a new cat-back exhaust for free. That's all ::smile::

#11 ·
I remembered your post about it. I just want perspective Gibson exhaust buyers to know your issue wasn't the norm. I think you might have gotten the wrong one since a hanger wasn't in the right place. All my hangers were just where they should have been? That's why this forum is here so you can get more than just one opinion on something.

#15 · (Edited)
https://youtu.be/VfxMUO0KNg8

As per request, you hear my intake more than anything else. And the wooshing sound near the Jersey wall and trees is my exhaust leak at the Y-pipe collector. I need to get a real muffler shop to just weld it :(

#14 ·
Sound clips do not represent what your ear hears in person. Also someone revving the crap out of a vehicle in neutral isn't the same sound as when an engine is under load nor does it sound the same in an auto versus a manual trans. Most if not all systems on an auto trans vehicle does not sound as good as a manual version.
I put the Magnaflow Competition series on my new Jeep because it sounds great on my Challenger as they are both 6 speeds. My friend has the system on his auto Jeep and it just sounds wrong.
Most 6 cylinder vehicles don't ever come close (my Jeep included) to the V8 sound we all love.

Clint

#21 ·
Sound clips do not represent what your ear hears in person. Also someone revving the crap out of a vehicle in neutral isn't the same sound as when an engine is under load nor does it sound the same in an auto versus a manual trans.
Totally agree - took some clips of my FM50 and the sound is not even close to what it sounds like in person and in the cab, so I never posted them. And I don't care for revving the hell out of a 6 banger.

For this deal if it works out for someone, can't beat free for a $600+ mod.

Thanks for sharing OP.

#19 ·
It's on their website or anyone's that selling the system, why don't you check it out?

#20 ·
I put my headphones on so I could get a better idea of the actual sound and I have to say I like it. I think this will be the exhaust I go with when I'm ready. One request though. Is there any chance of getting a video from out side with you pulling away from an idle at both normal throttle and maybe a more aggressive acceleration?

#22 ·
I just tried and my dash cam has way too much wind noise mounted on the side of my truck, sorry.

#24 ·
As to the crossover pipe misfit-Gibson still seems to have an issue. I just installed their exhaust on a 2010 crew cab. No way could I get it to line up w/o cutting 2" off the pipe. I called tech support and they told me "OK to cut, no warranty issues" but told me they were unaware of issues and that each exhaust is jig constructed so they were surprised at my issue. Anyway it otherwise fit fine and sounds pretty good- for a v6. Harmonics will never match a v8 although appeantly go got it right with the v6 camera per car and driver.

#25 ·
Absolutly love mine, nice rumble,not ricey,no interior resonance. I installed a set of JBA TI headers and it made it sound deeper not louder. Make sure to use the little resonator that comes with it. I ran a Flowmaster Delta 50 for about a week. Sounded terrible this aint no V8. I would suggest getting higher grade stainless exhaust clamps because mine are rusting bad. The rest of the system is fine,that Y pipe is huge!

Bill

#26 ·
Does anyone know if the VQ40 firing order is different than the VQ37 or VQ35? I love the sound of my G35 and Q50S, I have not heard a VQ40 truck with after market exhaust that I think sounds as good.

#27 ·
I'm pretty sure that all of the VQ engines have a firing order of 1-2-3-4-5-6. I'm pretty happy with the sound of the exhaust on my 2006 Pathfinder. I installed Doug Thorley headers, replaced the rear cats with Doug Thorley mid-pipes, cut out the factory main muffler and installed a Magnaflow 12580 in its place and left on the factory post-muffler. I wasn't a big fan, at first, but somewhere between 500-1000 miles the muffler finally "broke-in" and now I'm really happy with it. After installing an aFe Momentum CAI, an XTP plenum spacer and using a Superchips 93-octane tune (3-degree ignition timing advance over stock), she sounds nasty at WOT and moves exceptionally well for an SUV with a V6 and four wheel drive!

#28 ·
I'm pretty sure that all of the VQ engines have a firing order of 1-2-3-4-5-6. I'm pretty happy with the sound of the exhaust on my 2006 Pathfinder. I installed Doug Thorley headers, replaced the rear cats with Doug Thorley mid-pipes, cut out the factory main muffler and installed a Magnaflow 12580 in its place and left on the factory post-muffler. I wasn't a big fan, at first, but somewhere between 500-1000 miles the muffler finally "broke-in" and now I'm really happy with it. After installing an aFe Momentum CAI, an XTP plenum spacer and using a Superchips 93-octane tune (3-degree ignition timing advance over stock), she sounds nasty at WOT and moves exceptionally well for an SUV with a V6 and four wheel drive!
Am curious as to the size/proportions of this 'factory post-muffler'? Is it b/tw the muffler and the axle...or b/tw the axle and the tailpipe?
Do all Pathfinders utilize these?

#31 ·
Aluminized pipes are pretty good, but not nearly as good as stainless steel; gauge thickness of the pipe also matters. If you live in a dry climate, like the US southwest, aluminized pipes will probably last a very long time. If you live in an area where they salt the roads or you see a lot of wet weather and want the system to last, stainless steel would be a better choice. The factory system on our trucks is stainless steel.

#33 ·
I saw one person with the the stainless posting about it rusting. I'm in FL and park my truck one street from the ocean at my fire station. So how is everyone else's stainless Gibson holding up? I'm thinking about going with this in the near future, but want to make sure it will hold up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.