GF drove fronty in 4WD Low 75 mph for 60 miles!!!! - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 05:49 AM
Shift_Newbie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
GF drove fronty in 4WD Low 75 mph for 60 miles!!!!

Hello all, haven't been here in a bit, just wanted some advice. My girlfriend drove my 07 SE in 4wd Low like the subject says. Now, when I got in the rig, 4LO was flashing, which means the truck never switched to Low, but stayed in 4high, correct?

I haven't felt or heard anything strange since she got back. She literally was on a state highway in CC doing 75 for about an hour!! Truck is riding fine and she stills switches to 4WD with a twist of the switch...question is: What should I have checked or be on the lookout for? Besides a new girlfriend? lol Any info would be greatly appreciated guys, thanks!

07 Storm Grey SE 4x4 CC Long Bed w/ Value Truck Package - Pathfinder window switchplates - OEM Chrome Door Handles - Flowmaster 50 Series Delta - Remote Start

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Shift_Enthusiast
Lifetime Member

Yikes ....

ah .... how about hair colour? I.Q.?
hey .. someones got to say that ... might as well be me.
Luckly the switchover to lo4x4 is pretty safe ... truck has to be stopped, dumped into neutral, switch moved to low, back into drive, ect. If your idiot light was flashing it stayed in 4 wheel hi.
My only concern would be driving it around over 60 mph in 4x4 hi. Not too much of an issue I don't think .. but maybe some of the experts will chime in here.

08 Crew 4x4/Super Black
Superchips tuned,Access Rollup with Rack,LE rims,Clarion Max385VD/Pioneer Premier,Garmin Nuvi 750,Weathertech,Silverstar Ultras
Ontario, Canada
#3 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Yeah, no way she could go in 4lo up to 75mph, I think the mas speed is around 35.

That being said, I would hop under the truck and make sure that the transfer case bolts are all tight and there are no signs of leaking fluid. Those high speeds for that long will cause a lot of vibration that could cause it to loosen up.

'06 Frontier CC LE 4x4
RollBak G2, brush guard, visors, bug deflector, extra fogs/driving lamps, AEM Brute Force CAI w/ Dryflow.
Jardine/Doug Thorley Catback Exhaust, OEM Garmin Navigation Housing and Nuvi 760, 265/70/17's on factory rims, rear back up sonar.

#4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Inyourface1650
lol you guys have obvioiusly never run in 4 hi with speeds exceeding 80 miles per hour for multiple hours off road. Bolts and case will be fine.

Its not the speed thats the problem.....its the fact that the truck was on the pavement in 4 wheel drive. Obviously it never switched into 4 low if it was blinking, I have been in 4-low at speeds up to 60 mph, I dont remember what it was taching at, but it was in overdrive...and It was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay up on the tach. (probably 5k?) so its highly unlikely that happened.

Point being, any damage will be wear to the transfer case gearing, and there is nothing you can do for that. I WOULD change the transfer oil, as there will be quite alot of shavings, and those will accelerate wear on the gears since its constantly flowing. it also might be a tad burnt, due to mismatched driveline speeds. lots of heat

I really don't get some people.... it should be obvious there are problems if there is a blinking indicator light on the dash...and the whole fact that's its really hard to turn.....and the squealing tires...

Last edited by Inyourface1650; 05-05-2009 at 02:21 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It should be fine, I drove 80+ in a snow storm from upstate PA to Philly (150milesish) in 4Hi. Drove 60 in 4lo for 10mi.

Like someone else mentioned, its when you turn on dry pavement that binds everything up.
#6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Senior Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
x2 on the Transfer case fluid change.
How To: Front + Rear Differential && Transfercase Fluid Change on 05+ Gen 2 Frontier

NEW MEMBERS MUST post in the New Member Intro forum first to unlock their account.
Report a bad/flaming/illegal post by clicking on Report Post or
Looking for Parts? Check out our Sponsors

#7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Why was she using 4X4?

It doesn't sound like it actually went into 4 low. I drive that fast in 4 high quite a bit. No worries there.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Shift_Newbie

thanks everyone...i will change that oil asap!!

07 Storm Grey SE 4x4 CC Long Bed w/ Value Truck Package - Pathfinder window switchplates - OEM Chrome Door Handles - Flowmaster 50 Series Delta - Remote Start

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.