Gen. 2 Timing Chain Tensioner Pics - Page 3 - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HKYStormFront
looks earily similar the GM "global" 3.6L DOHC motor... they also had issues with timing chain tensioners, that's the reason i've seen them... maybe they got their tensioners from the same (bad) supplier

Patrick // 06 KC Nismosis 6 spd Storm Gray
Mods: lots... Uprev tuned: 257whp & 292 ft lbs
09 Pontiac G8 GXP // M6 // Sunroof // Tint... For Now
http://jpmcgphotography.smugmug.com <-- My Photography

"I prefer to drive manuals because I prefer to drive, not be driven."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry

What really pisses me off is reviews from magazines like Consumer reports. I researched and test drove before I bought, I thought I had made a solid choice, then I join this forum after I bought it and stumbled upon this problem. Consumer reports never mentions any of this and actually shows any 05 thru 08 as " excellent" reliability. How can a major problem such as this be missed? People with under 20k are having this problem. I wonder if you lined up 100 Frontiers how many of these would self destruct? Terrible!

I'm now considering an extended warranty for something I would not have to worry about if I bought a Yugo. It really takes away from enjoying a new truck if you cringe when you start it wondering if this will be the day. I'm trying to be reasonable in my thinking and hoping that 90% of us will never have an issue but it seems to me to many people on this forum have had this problem and lets face it we are a small percentage of people compared to all of these engines out there. It seems to me the odds are not in our favor.

Well ,I guess I'll just enjoy my smooth running engine while it lasts.

Mike
#23 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Shift_Hardcore

with my co workers 05 se he had the dealer do this repair at 33,000 miles. it needed it again when he traded at 58,000 miles..when he questioned dealer,they told him even though the new parts were new part numbers.they still wear..that was enough for him.
#24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Shift_lurker

It wasnt to hard, just very time consuming. Scraping the gasket surfaces took over an hour as they use grey RTV for every cover, and a handfull of small o-rings. The hard part is timing the motor. The manual states that there are copper links, yellow, links and i think some white.......but mine only had 1 copper on the primary chain, luckly i come from a motorcycle mechanic backround and have had tons of street bike motors apart and knw to always make my own marks with paint on as many thinks as posiable. These motors take time and verification as they have 3 chains, and about 7-8 timing marks that have to line up perfect, 1 tooth off and your valves hit the pistons and then your out!!. And to top it all off before i took the chains off i tried to line up all the marks and coundn't find most of them on the chains....the lower crank mark was off from what the case said, i guess the factory marks are not that good..One you get the cams timed than the primary chain is the hardest. Secodary one lines up great.

2005 Frontier 4x4 EC 6sp
Mods: New Timing chains, and tensioners!!
#25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,213 Posts
Garage
The timing chain is silent according to wikipedia.

The VQ40DE is a 4.0 L (3954 cc) variant of the VQ35DE due to a longer stroke. Bore and stroke are 95.5 × 92.0 mm.

Improvements include continuously variable valve timing, variable intake system, silent timing chain, hollow and lighter crankshafts and friction reduction (microfinished surfaces, moly coated pistons). It has Nissan's direct ignition system with platinum-tipped spark plugs. It produces 268 PS (264 hp/197 kW) to 273 PS (269 hp/201 kW) @5600 rpm and 284 ft·lbf (385 N·m) @4000 rpm.

It is fitted to the following vehicles:

* 2005–present Nissan Frontier
* 2005–present Nissan Xterra
* 2005–present Nissan Pathfinder (270 hp @5600 rpm; 291 ft·lbf (395 N·m) @4000 RPM)
* 2009–present Suzuki Equator

#26 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Shift_lurker

I wonder what they did with the 08 and 09 to fix the problem. Just the fact that they fixed it for these model years shows me they know something is wrong with our model years. The problem is cost. Imagine if they said we know there is a problem with these engines and we will fix them at no cost to the owner. They should at least give everyone a 100,000 mile warranty with no limits on the years for low mileage drivers for this specific issue.

I hope somebody can figure ouy the x factor for this problem. Some owners have a hundred thousand and no problem, others 20 k with a problem. I'm hoping synthetic oil will relieve the friction on the guides,but I'm not sure.

Maybe a thread could be created to see how people with the problem run their trucks. No warm up, heavy on the throttle etc.. I'm in no way saying these are the causes just curious. Maybe we can figure this out with enough input from many people.

Mike
#27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
According to the warranty booklet it's covered on the 5 year 60000 mile powertrain warranty. NEFrontier I've had my truck for 3.5 years with 36000 miles, my wifes 05 Pathfinder (same drivetrain) had 55000 miles on it when we traded it in for our 06 pathfinder that now has 55000 miles on it and none of them have had this problem. Why some people have had the problem I don't know, I'm not pshycic. But out of the thousands of people on the site a few dozen (or less?) people have had the problem. If you want to hate your truck for a problem you don't have and will probably never have that's fine but please stop acting like we're driving pieces of crap. (You sound like a glass-half-empty kind of guy) I happen to love my trucks and if I have the issue outside of the powertrain warranty then I'll fix it myself. It's not rocket science. I'll tell you what, I just helped my cousin do a tune up on his 04 Ford Escape. After seaching for a thread on how to change the spark plugs I came across a lot of threads on major issues people are having with those. There were a lot more serious issues with that car than I've ever seen on here. So any car is going to have issues, engineers can't think of everything. You could buy a Hyundai, they have a 100000 mile 10 year warranty on them. My Dad has a Santa Fe and likes it.

White 05 LE crew cab 4x4. Mods so far- Rollbak bed cover, custom Yakima bike rack, Pathfinder center console, Pathfinder window trim, steering wheel audio controls added, vent visors and window tint.

Last edited by 05cc4x4; 01-05-2009 at 09:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 05cc4x4 For This Useful Post:
Mainerunr (01-15-2009)
#28 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Shift_lurker

No its a problem that they all will have...I think alot of people dont even know they have the noise and think its normal, lots of dealers tell people the noise is normal. Well take it apart and you will find metal to metal, not good.There are two local dealerships by me, and they both said they do about 5 a year. So ten just in a few surounding towns. they had all the parts in stock when i ordered the parts to fix mine, so i would say that it is a problem. But its my 3rd nissan and i'll buy another...doesnt bother me, but then again i fix stuff myself...i couldnt imagine paying 2500.00 on a 3 year old vehicle with 61000 miles...

2005 Frontier 4x4 EC 6sp
Mods: New Timing chains, and tensioners!!
#29 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 11:09 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'm pretty sure there's a guy on here with 100k + miles and he hasn't had it. I think there was a poll awhile back too but I don't feel like looking for it. If it goes with that many miles on mine then I guess I got my moneys worth and I'll pay the $300 for parts and fix it myself.

White 05 LE crew cab 4x4. Mods so far- Rollbak bed cover, custom Yakima bike rack, Pathfinder center console, Pathfinder window trim, steering wheel audio controls added, vent visors and window tint.
#30 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 01:10 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05cc4x4 View Post
According to the warranty booklet it's covered on the 5 year 60000 mile powertrain warranty. NEFrontier I've had my truck for 3.5 years with 36000 miles, my wifes 05 Pathfinder (same drivetrain) had 55000 miles on it when we traded it in for our 06 pathfinder that now has 55000 miles on it and none of them have had this problem. Why some people have had the problem I don't know, I'm not pshycic. But out of the thousands of people on the site a few dozen (or less?) people have had the problem. If you want to hate your truck for a problem you don't have and will probably never have that's fine but please stop acting like we're driving pieces of crap. (You sound like a glass-half-empty kind of guy) I happen to love my trucks and if I have the issue outside of the powertrain warranty then I'll fix it myself. It's not rocket science. I'll tell you what, I just helped my cousin do a tune up on his 04 Ford Escape. After seaching for a thread on how to change the spark plugs I came across a lot of threads on major issues people are having with those. There were a lot more serious issues with that car than I've ever seen on here. So any car is going to have issues, engineers can't think of everything. You could buy a Hyundai, they have a 100000 mile 10 year warranty on them. My Dad has a Santa Fe and likes it.
First off I think your getting on me, second off not every one including myself is comfortable with a timing chain overhaul like what ( ballon78 ) has done to his Frontier, I'm no mechanic when it comes to a modern multi valve motor, seriously his last post scares the crap out of me and is "Rocket Science" in my eyes, call me a fool or idiot because I can't fix my 2008 Frontier if it makes you feel better. I'm especially nervous when (ballon 78 ) talks about lining the teeth up and all the o rings and such, I'm not ashamed to admit my home garage is not set up for this sort of task, nor do I have the time to have my bread & butter work truck ('08 Crew Cab Frontier) down any length of time. I'm proud of you that you are able to fix your rig, I'm not into that sort of thing and expect a (new) vehicle to be trouble free of any major repair for a minimum of 100K miles, If I'm to expect otherwisse I would have bought a POS used $3K truck to fix and repair all the time. If my truck is parked for more than a day I've lost a substantial amount of revenue for my business. I've mentioned it before on this forum I run three '05 Tacoma's and one '07 Tacoma and my '08 Frontier for my business, when I bought my Frontier I was planning on replacing my current fleet of '05 Tacomas in 2010 for Nissans but I'm in reconsideration due to this timing chain issue. I would have easily bought another Tacoma when I needed another truck back in May 2008 after hiring another employee but since I was going to be driving it I flat out like how much better of a value my Frontier is over my Tacomas that cost more and aren't even 4WD except one of them, the Frontier rides and handles better with the weight I carry, I said it earlier I love the truck to death but If I have to worry about a major repair just after the warranty this is the last Nissan product I will buy, I'm already on the fence because I wanted to buy a Titan but they are selling the next one out to Dodge . I've never done more than change my own oil on a vehicle and I think I speak for about 80% of the driving public when I don't prefer to fix and repair my own vehicles.

-Ryan

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
"Wow! What a Ride!"

'08 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab, Long Box, 4x4,mudguards, Utili-Track, Avalanche, Steel ,tow pkg, moonroof, Side SRS & 4-Wheel ABLS, 265/75/16 BFG Allterrain KO's

Last edited by PoolRunner; 01-06-2009 at 01:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to PoolRunner For This Useful Post:
PatMan (11-19-2009)

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.