Nissan Frontier Forum banner

gauges

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  RedAlert 
#1 ·
I have been having trouble with gauges lately. Last summer every once in a while the speedometer and the tack needles would sort of wobble back and forth as i drove. showing the correct speed and rpm, but with the needles shaking back and forth. that hasnt happened in a while, but my temp and fuel gauges have not beed reading at all. Most of the time the temp needle is all the way down at the bottom and the fuel is reading less than what is actually in the tank. ill drive for a while, they will go back to normal, and then the next time i look at the dash, the temp is not reading and the fuel says a half tank when i just filled up. i dont get it. if anyone has any ideas of things to check please let me know. thanks.

#2 ·
ive not experienced this personally or with any of my customers, but the first place i would check, would be the IPC unit itself. pull the gauge cluster out and check the large connector at the back of it. make sure its fully seated, if it isn't push it in(duh), but if it is, pull it out and inspect it for any sort of corrosion or any smoking that would indicate it had gotten hot at one point (short in the circuit). if everything looks good there, id start looking at sensors, or a poor ground somewhere.

#5 ·
I had an issue with just my tach about three years ago. It would be off by about 1000 RMPs, then go back to being normal. I even reset the cluster sweep a few times and it never worked. Finally just ordered a new cluster and it's been trouble free since. The R&R is extremely easy to do, if you're planning on doing it yourself. Takes all of 10 minutes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.