Gas Mileage Concern.... - Page 3 - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Last fill up I got 18.4 with the blend. Summer I was getting around 20.5 mixed C/hwy.

2012 SV CC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

I just filled up last night. Just over 15MPG in mixed driving.

2012 SV Crew Cab V6 Auto
#23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 05:12 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Hahaha... I get SINGLE DIGITS! My days aren't quite exciting enough without putting some weight on the skinny pedal. But in all seriousness I can still creep on 20 mpg on the highway with 7" of lift, 35's and hundreds of pounds of armor. Staying in the right lane, in sixth going between 55-65 mph, behind a semi. It's all in the driving habits. The MPG on these trucks just drops like crazy if you go over 55 mph or don't keep the RPM's under 2500. It has a lot of power available, which is directly proportional to how much fuel you use, so to get good gas mileage you need to never use the part of the hp/tq curve that you actually want to. If I try to drive conservatively 60% and spirited 40% of the time I get about 12 mpg. 100% conservatively in town goes into the 14-16 mpg range; depending on the number of stop signs/lights. Living downtown brutalizes my in town mpg. Lots of factors to consider.

2005 CC SE 6MT 4x4 - Avalanche White
Titan Swap: 2.5 S.A.W. Ext Res C/O's|PRG UCA|PRG Shackles|Deaver AAL|Bilstein Rear Shocks
M205 Front Diff|Titan Shafts|PRG TRE|4.56 Superior Gears|M226 Rear Diff w/ TrueTrac LSD
2" Body Lift|35" BFGoodrich KM2 M/T|17x9 KMC Addicts|AFe CAI|Superchips Tuner|XTP IMS
Hefty Fabworks Full Skid Plate Set|Shrockworks Front/Rear Bumper, Rock Sliders and Rear Diff Cover

Last edited by HighALT; 01-14-2013 at 05:15 PM.
#24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 08:56 AM
Shift_Newbie

I was wondering about gas mileage during break in on a new Fronty. I have had my new '12 SL for almost 3 weeks now and I'm averaging about 13mpg US mixed driving. I am also running a ScanGauageII that I also had in my 06 SE, First few tanks I hand calculated and used the on board computer as well as the ScanGauage.

I'm really hoping the gas mileage improves soon because this new truck is way more thirsty than my 06 was. Mixed driving in winter I was usually getting about 16-17mpg US with my 06. Summer I was getting about 21mpg US. Straight hwy under 70mph I was usually seeing 23-24 mpg US. Best hwy mpg so far in the new truck was 18mpg. I'm usually fairly easy on the throttle.

Current- '13 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost
Previous POS Truck from Hell - '12 SL CC LongBox
Previous - '06 SE CC ShortBox

#25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 09:23 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnFrontier View Post
I was wondering about gas mileage during break in on a new Fronty. I have had my new '12 SL for almost 3 weeks now and I'm averaging about 13mpg US mixed driving. I am also running a ScanGauageII that I also had in my 06 SE, First few tanks I hand calculated and used the on board computer as well as the ScanGauage.

I'm really hoping the gas mileage improves soon because this new truck is way more thirsty than my 06 was. Mixed driving in winter I was usually getting about 16-17mpg US with my 06. Summer I was getting about 21mpg US. Straight hwy under 70mph I was usually seeing 23-24 mpg US. Best hwy mpg so far in the new truck was 18mpg. I'm usually fairly easy on the throttle.

23-24 is amazing. Best I have gotten was almost 22.

2011 Frontier SV 4x4 Long Bed
2" spacer
Adjustable shackle at 1"
Hefty Engine, Trans, and T-Case Skids
General Grabber AT2- 265/75/16
#26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Garage
I recently installed a ScanGauge-e so that I can track my instantaneous MPG. Man that number is all over the map... Obviously while under heavy acceleration it will post numbers in the 1-2 mpg range. But coasting down a long descent @ 65-70 mph I can get as high as 181 mpg! (6-spd out of gear, if in 6th and engine braking the number drops to 125) What I see is that this rig can get 23 mpg @ 70 on level highway, but the second the road has any ascent, the numbers dive to 16-18 mpg. If you drive with an egg under your foot you can get good mileage, anything else and it suffers. I recently drove to Santa Barbara and back and got ~21 mpg @ 65-70 mph.

I did cal this ScanGauge unit and it tracked perfectly average wise against my trip computer so it seems to be correct, just the numbers that it displays swing to extremes very easily... I'm learning enough about it's tendencies so that I'm getting about 1 mpg better per tank, although that's really hard to attribute to the use of this gauge. I think just having this little reminder on mpg numbers every second or so helps keep my foot out if it.

...No longer just "KickinTires"..., now along for the Ride!

2011 CC PRO-4X, 6-Speed, Leer 700 tonneau cover, Nissan hood protector, XPEL lens kit, ShrockWorks Sliders, Plates and Diff Cover. BFG All-Terrains 265/75-16. 2.0 PRG Radflo Coilovers w/ Eibach 650# Springs, PRG Upper Control Arms, PRG Deaver 2-Leaf Spring Packs, Bilstein 5125 Series Rear Shocks. Midland 1001 LWX w/ FireStik 4' Firefly Rear axle vent mod. ScanGaugeE and a few basic cosmetic interior upgrades...

Wheelin' Photos
http://www.pbase.com/kramerkrause/4_wheeling_images
http://www.pbase.com/kramerkrause/ra...ake_canyon2012

Last edited by KickinTires; 01-25-2013 at 10:31 AM.
#27 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Shift_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordon View Post
23-24 is amazing. Best I have gotten was almost 22.
Best I ever recorded was nearly 27 US mpg. Unloaded, cruise @ 55mph on some flat country roads for a 120mile trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickinTires View Post
I recently installed a ScanGauge-e so that I can track my instantaneous MPG. Man that number is all over the map... Obviously while under heavy acceleration it will post numbers in the 1-2 mpg range. But coasting down a long descent @ 65-70 mph I can get as high as 181 mpg! (6-spd out of gear, if in 6th and engine braking the number drops to 125) What I see is that this rig can get 23 mpg @ 70 on level highway, but the second the road has any ascent, the numbers dive to 16-18 mpg. If you drive with an egg under your foot you can get good mileage, anything else and it suffers. I recently drove to Santa Barbara and back and got ~21 mpg @ 65-70 mph.

I did cal this ScanGauge unit and it tracked perfectly average wise against my trip computer so it seems to be correct, just the numbers that it displays swing to extremes very easily... I'm learning enough about it's tendencies so that I'm getting about 1 mpg better per tank, although that's really hard to attribute to the use of this gauge. I think just having this little reminder on mpg numbers every second or so helps keep my foot out if it.
The Scan Gauge is a neat tool to have on board. I've run mine now for over 3 years, mostly in my 06 SE. I found it to be fairly accurate andit does help "coach" you how to drive easier for better mpg.

I couldn't help but notice the fuel useage on the warm up cycle in my new SL is waaaayyy more than my 06 SE. I think this is part of the reason my mileage is so bad compared to my old truck. I'm hoping as break in progresses it will start to back off the excessive fuelling at startup when cold out.

Current- '13 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost
Previous POS Truck from Hell - '12 SL CC LongBox
Previous - '06 SE CC ShortBox

Last edited by CdnFrontier; 01-25-2013 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
#28 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Garage
My last fill up was 13.2. I'm lifted but I had the same lift on my '06 and never got that low with it. Hopefully a block heater will help.

'06 Nismo Frontier Totaled 06-27-12 RIP
'12 PRO-4X Knight Armor 'Geek Mobile II'
Geek Mobile II Build Thread

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.