Gas cap fell apart - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Shift_lurker

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gas cap fell apart

Last night when I stopped to put gas in, unscrewed the cap and it fell apart in my hand. The center white part just fell out. Nice design for a new truck. Now where do I find a new gas cap? Hate to go back to the dealer, the one I bought the Frontier from sucks.

1998 Toyota RAV4, 432,000 miles. '05 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado, '07 Honda Civic, '09 Scion xB, '12 Nissan Frontier 4x2, 4cyl, 5 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

So the gas cap on your brand new truck broke, but you'd rather complain here than just go get a new one for free under warranty?
#3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

I'd check into a locking, aftermarket cap. Do a search, someone on here got a locking cap from NAPA I think. I'd like to do that, even though my cap is still going strong!
#4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Banned
Shift_Obsessed

You start a new thread asking where to buy a replacement gas cap? wow.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You can always order one from Courtesy Parts.

I work because somebody has to pay for all the lifelong welfare entitlements. Redistributionomics 101
#6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Shift_Obsessed

The cap failed on my '06 too when it was just a month old. The black handle just spun around and the bottom section stayed in place. What really sucked was that I was on a family trip and almost out of gas. It was late in the evening on a Saturday and the nearest Dealer was an hour distant .... on Monday morning.

I squeezed the black part of the cap and after a lot of struggle, finally got it to bite on the lower section and removed it all for a fill up. Whew!

A Dealer in NC replaced the cap on Monday and I was on my way in ten minutes.

2006 SE CC 4x2 6-Speed 4.0L w/Power Package & ABLS, Red Brawn, Nissan Step Rails, Hood Protector and Soft Tonneau, Clarion CX501, Stock Speakers, Pioneer TS-T110 Tweeters and LED Reverse Lights
#7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Shift_lurker

Garage
If any of you would have had the bad experience I have had with Nissan you would NEVER want to go back to the dealer to just try, I said try to get a gas cap replaced under warranty. I have owned Toyotas for 40 years and have put on over 1 million miles on thee Toyota RAV4's and never experienced the bad coustomer relations I have in the past 5 months from Nissan.

I guess I will just duct tape it together and tell people that ask why what a bunch of crap this pickup is.

1998 Toyota RAV4, 432,000 miles. '05 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado, '07 Honda Civic, '09 Scion xB, '12 Nissan Frontier 4x2, 4cyl, 5 speed
#8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Banned
Shift_Obsessed

so you'd rather tape up a cap than spend under $15 for a new cap at any auto parts store or even walmart? you want to make a statement that nissan is crap by taping up a cap that no one will see since you will drive with the gas lid closed? you want to generalize that ALL nissan dealers suck because of a bad experience at one?

#9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Shift_Fanatic

To be fair, it does seem like a cheap, crappy design. Chintsy white plastic belongs on a milk carton, not a gas cap.

2012 Frontier PRO-4X Crew Cab 6-speed manual
#10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Shift_lurker

Garage
I found some super glue, I will try to fix it with that. Just need for it to seal and keep the check engine light off. Broken cap = light on.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.