Fuel Octane - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 02:54 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Octane

Hello.

I have a 2008 Frontier NISMO crew cab 4x4 with the 4.0 V6. My manual says that 91 octane fuel is recommended. I was just wanting to ask everyone out there who runs the V6 if they run 91 or 89 octane, and what they find the difference is if they do run 91 octane.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 04:02 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to beefy242
yeah theres quite a few threads on this... but most people say to use 91. try the search button next time, thanks.

cardomain page:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2425259/1
itsmynissan page: http://itsmynissan.com/beefy242
gamertag: The Real Johnso Myspace:http://www.myspace.com/cutestshitever
1st Gen 4 banger.

"There are 270,000,000 firearms in the United States under private ownership. Only .000035% of them are used in crimes. It's not the gun, it's the criminal."

#3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 06:27 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Slilock
The performance I get with 91 compared to 87 is not worth the price difference to me.

2006 Storm Grey 4X4 NISMO - Stock
#4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 06:38 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

My Experience

I have a 2007 SE Crew Cab 4WD with auto. I now have close to 5000 miles on the truck. My experience is that the high octane gives me better gas mileage, certainly enough of an increase to justify the 5-8% premium in price. On a recent trip of 470 miles, I averaged 24.6 mpg running at 60-65 mph. My experience with lower octane was somewhere in the range of 20-21 mpg on a similar trip.

In the area of performance, I note that my truck does not downshift as often in premium, probably because the computer can continue at a high spark advance under load without causing detonation. I also believe that the truck will hold higher spark advance and thus give more power over a wider range of rpm and load when using premium. Our trucks also have variable valve timing but I am not sure if this also varies with detected spark knock.

Keep good records. Run lower octane for a month or so and then do the same with high octane fuel. Make your decision based on facts that you collect for your truck, not on someone else's experience or say so. There are a number of people who will tell you that the octane makes no difference in their truck which is different than my experience.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I've always run 89 except 2 tanks of 93. Didn't see enough of a diff. to justify $3.17 a gal. As far as mileage goes, I,ve never gone over 15/gal. but thats all around town driving and I don't drive slow.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 09:47 AM
Shift_Obsessed

higher octane does not equal higher MPG. if it did then every car maker would push 91 or 93 oct to help the fight against the EPA. some people claim to get better MPG but usually that can be attributed to them actually changing there driving style. the EPA does test every year on different octane rated gas as well as many of the "snake oil" products that claim to give you better MPG. most if not all do nothing at all or can even decrease MPG's. i ran 91 for the first 6 months or so of owning my truck then switched when gas hit $2.75/gal. since then i have run 87 and had NO drop in MPG nor any change in performance. i average just over 17mpg and thats with morning commute speeds in the 80-100mph range.

05 LE CC 4X4. SUPER BLACK
#7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to NissanTy
im probably not any help due to i have a first gen but the 3.3 v6 reccomends 87, but i have used 93 and i seen no better power than when i used 87, but now i just use 89 in my truck and it runs like a champ.

2004 XE KC V6 4X4
#8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Shift_Obsessed

I use 89 and my truck runs awesome... plus it's cold as a well diggers bum up here

2006 SE KC 4x4 auto -- Shrock BFG AT OEM fogs
2008 Nissan Pathfinder SE -- Traded in July 2012
2012 Nissan Titan PRO4-X -- Nordic White, Leather, Sunroof
#9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Shift_Hardcore

I changed from 87 to 93 octane at the beginning of this year. To get a fair estimate of the effect on mpg's, I need to run several tankfuls of gas. Given the time of the year (winter gas), I will compare this year's results to last year's for the same time period. Assuming my driving habits are the same this year as last's, any change in mileage can be attributable to the octane change. The law of large numbers, using a large number of driven miles as the base, makes this assumption acceptable.

The experiment is still ongoing. But from the inital data, it seems that I do see a healthy (more than pays for the increased cost) increase in mileage. Stay tuned.

06 Nismo 6M 4X4 Blue
#10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Fuel Octane

Very interesting discussion! Thanks everyone!

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.