Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Frontier Sales Figures

7K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  frontiersouthga 
#1 ·
I was looking at the Frontier sales figures for 2016 and saw two interesting things:

1. Each month this year there were more Frontiers sold than in ANY month in the last four years.

2. In August, there were more Frontiers sold than the new, improved Chevy Colorado.

Why should the Frontier be upgraded when it is outselling everything except the Tacoma?

Interesting stats.

#2 ·
Helps that it looks 100X better than the New Titan sitting next to it!

Reactions: NYCe_Frontier
#3 ·
The Frontier has always been the best bang for your buck in the segment, but the other guys have better brand recognition. Doesn't matter what Nissan does, people will want their Chevys and Fords. Personally, the Frontier was my top choice because I've owned about 10 Nissans and it was also the highest in-class towing. If you go back to 2004, the Tacoma forums were blowing up about how the Frontier's 6500lb towing has to be a typo, that was Tundra territory.

The Frontier's sales figures might be "up" because everyone else's are down. 2015 was a record busting year for all auto sales, especially Trucks and SUV/CUVs. 2016 is down a bit simply because 2015 was a turning point and everyone who wanted theirs got theirs. Everyone's now stuffed like the day after Thanksgiving.

Looks-wise, the 13 year old D40 Frontier still looks great and modern I like it better than almost every new truck on the road. It's tough, but it's not offensively over-styled. It's got an excellent stance and it's a perfect work horse. HOWEVER, there's a lot under the shell that needs some updating:

The interior needs an overhaul, we need some newer engine choices, possibly better fuel economy, the frame and suspension could use a bump in towing/payload specs to remain competitive, the brakes are somewhat inadequate for towing.

Personally, I'd like to see more storage cubbies and more dry/locked places to put things like tow straps, chain, jumper cables, tools, towing accessories, and spare clothing. I'd like to see adaptive cruise control, bed lights, possibly a 120V outlet, and some other hand-me-downs from the new Titan. I especially would like to see some more towing features and assists.

Reactions: NYCe_Frontier
#4 ·
Well, in all the reviews, the reviewers all rave about the Colorado/Canyon and downplay the Frontier. But their comments really come down to the GM's being more "modern" and the Frontier being an old design....things that I don't care all that much about. For those of us who actually use our trucks as trucks (at least during our weekend recreational activities) there isn't really anything the Colorado can do that my Frontier can't. So here is my suspicion on the sales numbers.
1. The Colorado is "new" so it generated some enthusiasm for smaller trucks. But when you actually go to look at one you find out that the Chevy dealers (at least where I live) want to charge a lot of money for them and don't discount them to the degree that they do the Silverado 1500's. When I compare a comparably equipped Silverado Vs Colorado at my local Chevy dealer, the 1500 with a 5.3L V8 can be had for less than a Colorado after factoring in discounts. Could be cause they seem to get a lot more 1500's but for whatever reason the Colorado's don't seem to get discounted much.

2. After being disappointed with the price of the Chevy, the buyer still likes the idea of a smaller truck so he starts looking for something less expensive. He then finds out that he can get a Frontier for at least $5,000 or more less

Other observation: The Colorado and Canyon are listed separately (like the Silverado and Sierra) but are really the same truck. If you combine the two, GM overall does outsell the Frontier. Best-Selling Pickup Trucks: August 2016 - PickupTrucks.com News

Interesting factoid: The Colorado is up over 24% this year while the Frontier is up over 61%. The Tacoma is up only 4% even though its a new model and they did a very heavy advertising campaign. So I'm wondering if its similar to what I said a about Colorado Vs Frontier i.e. Tacoma ads generate enthusiasm for smaller trucks but when buyers find out how much they cost and that a Frontier, while an old design, will do the same job for a lower price - they buy the Frontier. Thanks Toyota!

Anyway summing up, the newer trucks generate enthusiasm for the segment but when buyers actually buy, they buy on price and bang for the buck => big sales increase for Nissan.

Final thought: If a new model Frontier ends up costing as much as the others Nissan will be shooting itself in the foot.

#5 ·
1. The Colorado is "new" so it generated some enthusiasm for smaller trucks. But when you actually go to look at one you find out that the Chevy dealers (at least where I live) want to charge a lot of money for them and don't discount them to the degree that they do the Silverado 1500's. When I compare a comparably equipped Silverado Vs Colorado at my local Chevy dealer, the 1500 with a 5.3L V8 can be had for less than a Colorado after factoring in discounts. Could be cause they seem to get a lot more 1500's but for whatever reason the Colorado's don't seem to get discounted much.

2. After being disappointed with the price of the Chevy, the buyer still likes the idea of a smaller truck so he starts looking for something less expensive. He then finds out that he can get a Frontier for at least $5,000 or more less
I can't tell you how true this is, from experience. I tried to go in to two dealerships for a Colorado, pretty much got this treatment.

Personally, I would like a truck that can do right around 7,000lbs towing, which is just outside of the Frontier's comfort zone. Colorado Diesel would be perfect to me. I DO NOT want to live with / deal with a full size monstrosity that barely fits in my garage. Also....****ing Diesel 30MPG Highway, 15MPG TOWING!!

So....I walked into the dealership, asked for the salesman by name (friend of a friend). There were supposedly 2 colorado diesels on the lot, hopped on the golf cart, did circles on the lot, couldn't find them. Passed about 50 Silverados and 4 Gas Colorados, looked in windows, couldn't find what was supposed to be on the lot (they either sold or were on order).

We talked a little (approximate conversation):
Sales: So why would you want the Colorado Diesel? The Silverado is about the same price.
Me: I really don't want a Full size.
Sales: Yea, but they're cheaper than the Colorado Diesel?
Sales: Why not just a regular Colorado?
Me: Because I already have a truck with about the same specs, I need an upgrade.
Sales: Well, they're hard to come by, Chevy's not producing them very fast.
Me: How many do you guys get?
Sales: We've only had a few this year, and they sell immediately.
Sales: There's really no incentives on the Colorado Diesel, supply and demand. You're better off with a Silverado.
Me: That's unfortunate, I really don't want the Silverado.

I gave him my card, asked him to call me if any Diesels came in. I never heard from him. I'm sure a few came and went, but I can understand, he would have no reason to go out of his way and call me when I'm specifically looking for something that he already can't keep on the lot.

At this point, the Colorado Diesel is a Unicorn that isn't worth my time or money.

#6 ·
The Mid size truck market is heating up big time. Also im wondering if the GM twins numbers are down because they cant make enough of them, I know originally they were getting more demand than they could meet. So i wonder if gm fixed that or if they are stuck at a reduced production capacity that is ultimately limiting the number they move.

#7 · (Edited)
I was looking at the Frontier sales figures for 2016 and saw two interesting things:

1. Each month this year there were more Frontiers sold than in ANY month in the last four years.

2. In August, there were more Frontiers sold than the new, improved Chevy Colorado.

Why should the Frontier be upgraded when it is outselling everything except the Tacoma?

Interesting stats.

The 2016 frontiers here are selling for so cheap. I got my 2016 SV with value package, dealer tint and clear bra for 23k. After my trade in and taxes only financed 21k

The only negatives I have at 1400 miles in are the gas mileage and the insane vibration and engine noise.

My family has complained about rear leg room but that isnt a deal breaker.

My father in law made a comment about with a bed that small might as well gave gotten a car. I told him when I had my Sierra 1500 I hardly used the bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#8 ·
People are probably buying Frontiers because you can get a much better deal on them than you can on a Taco or Colorado. I know mine was a good bit cheaper than either of those options. I got my Frontier brand new for less than what some of the used Tacos I looked at were going for. I would also imagine its conservative styling and "truckiness" appeals to a lot of buyer as well. You know you are getting a truck when you look at a Frontier, no one confuses it with a crossover.....

#13 ·
Nice price, you did very well. Enjoy it and welcome to the forum.

Clint

#14 ·
Great look..one of very few (current) timeless body styles. (old Jeep Cherokee comes to mind)

That, and Nissans tooling's been paid for...forever on this one. Not to mention proven reliability record

You just can't get same value on new gen Tacoma/Colorado/Honda for near the price, yup.

Did alot of research prior to buying another Frontier (really wanted to like that new Tacoma).

#15 ·
Frontier is sure it is old compare to other mid size trucks. But if buyer looking at performance, nothing can beat Frontier for price.

I just picked up Frontier few days ago, was also looking at Tacoma but for same price I had 4 cylinder Tacoma 4x4 (no back seats or Access Cab) or V6 Frontier 4x4. I can't image driving 4 cylinder under 200 hp engine truck after driving V8 truck for years.

So far I'm not happy with my Nissan dealer but I'm happy with Frontier. :)

#16 ·
I just picked up Frontier few days ago, was also looking at Tacoma but for same price I had 4 cylinder Tacoma 4x4 (no back seats or Access Cab) or V6 Frontier 4x4. I can't image driving 4 cylinder under 200 hp engine truck after driving V8 truck for years.
Toyota's 4 cylinder engine is W-A-A-A-A-A-A-Y under 200 HP - 159, to be exact.

Hard to believe they're still putting 4-bangers in crew cabs and 4WD regular cabs - and 4 wheel drum brakes in EVERY Tacoma.

#19 ·
I think it is mainly about the price difference. If you want a mid-size truck that feels like a truck you are down to two options right now... the Tacoma and the Frontier. I'm currently looking at a 4x4 SV with the value package that has an "internet price" of 26,500. Also considering a pro-4x for an "internet price" of 29,450. Wife thinks we can talk them down more... I'm not so sure but we are going to give it a shot. The equivalent SR5 truck from Toyota would be around 35K so say 32,500. Equivalent TRD Off Road in the Tacoma is around 36,700 so say $35,000 (harder to get a good discount on the OR). That is a big price difference.

Also, if you head over to the gen3 Tacoma forums you will find that there are a lot of people with some pretty serious quality issues on their trucks which seem to be widespread. For example, the buzzing/vibration at certain RPMs. I test drove 2 Tacomas (2016 and 2017) and noticed the vibration in both. Not a big deal for around town but on road trips folks are saying it numbs your hands and is actually dangerous.

MPG isn't as big a difference as you might think either. Fuelly has the average at 16.9 (2016 Frontier pro-4x) vs 18.67 (Tacoma TRD OR):

2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road MPG - Actual MPG from 68 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road owners

2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road MPG - Actual MPG from 68 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road owners

The numbers are further apart for the SR5 vs the SV... 20.5 Tacoma vs 18.2 SV but still not all that big of a deal.

Toyota Tacoma SR5 MPG - Actual MPG from 39 Toyota Tacoma SR5 owners

Nissan Frontier SV MPG - Actual MPG from 158 Nissan Frontier SV owners

People that do their research and are cost conscious probably will end up leaning towards the Frontier.

#21 ·
I think it is mainly about the price difference. If you want a mid-size truck that feels like a truck you are down to two options right now... the Tacoma and the Frontier. I'm currently looking at a 4x4 SV with the value package that has an "internet price" of 26,500. Also considering a pro-4x for an "internet price" of 29,450. Wife thinks we can talk them down more... I'm not so sure but we are going to give it a shot. The equivalent SR5 truck from Toyota would be around 35K so say 32,500. Equivalent TRD Off Road in the Tacoma is around 36,700 so say $35,000 (harder to get a good discount on the OR). That is a big price difference.
I paid 4x4 SV for 27,xxx. I think i can go few hundreds down if i had little more time. 26,500 sounds good imo.

#20 ·
I do like the Tacoma TRD off road, very sharp looking truck.

I think Nissan would negotiate and more hungry for a sale than Toyota. Toyota knows they have someone not far behind to buy the truck anyways - they just don't last long on the lots, around here in Florida anyways.

Yeah, vibration on a almost $40K Tacoma TRD Offroad truck is awful - seems like they fixed the automatic transmission troubles though - and drum breaks on a $40K truck, Toyota give excuses for drum breaks but we all know is an economical thing to make more profit on each sale.

#24 ·
It's for 2 reasons.

1. Price

2. End of a generation, you have buyers getting their 2nd one, and others buying before changes they may not like occur, or that threaten reliability, which a redesign always does.

Tacoma's had the same thing before the last powertrain change. I would love to buy another of this gen of Frontier, but what would stop me is the improvements in safety of the competition. I'd probably end up with an F150 or an outback with a hitch and trailer. I'd really like the new ridgeline if I knew they wouldn't be outrageously priced, not crazy about the looks, but not crazy about any trucks looks currently.

#30 ·
This is the exact reason I bought my Frontier. I had a 2014 Tacoma regular cab but my needs changed to needing a quad cab. Toyota was more expensive by quite a bit plus I've been hearing so so thoughts on the new V6. I went with tried and true reliability and less gadgets to replace down the line.

#27 ·
Just got my new issue of Truck Trend. The new Ridgeline is in it. It's just under 43K which is right up there with the Tacos and GM twins. They're selling now, but this segment was almost killed before. The Frontier is the buy of the decade right now.
FWIW the Titan XDs have been gathering dust on dealer lots around here and are starting to get big discounts. For the same price as some of these midsize trucks you could get a Titan XD with a Cummins V8 and tow whatever you want.

#32 ·
All of the above are reasons I went with the Frontier. A friend of mine was also looking for trucks when I was. He settled with a 1500 Silverado. He said, "man I wouldn't even look at small trucks. For the same price you can get a full size." I laughed when I bought mine and he told me what he paid for his. $45,000. I could've bought my truck and a new Civic as a spare for that!

#34 ·
I was in the market for a mid size truck Jan 2016. I looked at the GM Colorado but the price was out of range, I couldn't justify it. My parents both just purchased nissans so I went the dealership and got a Frontier SV value package for 24k plus the dreaded GA as valorum scam tax. (Taxation is theft cough cough) but overall I like the truck. Wish I would've gone 4x4 but they didn't have any in stock and I really didn't use it in my old truck. I feel good with the unlimited warranty and the truck performs well. I haven't thought towed the limit yet but have put it through some stuff and it's held it's own. I was drawn to it a lot because of the warranty and the specs that rivaled other good mid size trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.