Ecometer vs Ultraguage? - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ecometer vs Ultraguage?

I went to lunch with a friend today and noticed he had an Ecometer made by Autometer mounted in his RAM 1500. He bought it primarily to moniter fuel economy. I really liked the 4 simple features this had to offer and the clean design of it, so when I got home I searched across the forum for "ecometer". Well after doing the search I also came across the Ultraguage.

Now there seems to be a few people that have used the Ecometer in their Frontier, but they don't seem to be very active on the forum so it might be hard to get in touch with them. When I came across the Ultraguage, I did another search looking for this and found that most of the post were related to the group buy earlier this year.

I've haven't had much luck in terms of finding a decent review for either of these meters except the old "I love this thing!" review with a few people having an occasional problem with the meters. In my opinion that doesn't really help much. I have even looked on youtube, and watched videos about both but never one used in a Frontier.

Now I am aware Ultraguage has a lot more features and is slightly cheaper than the Ecometer, but I'm looking for peoples insight from personal use of one or the other. I'm curious to know how accurate either one of these are. Any insight would be appreicated. If people prefer one over the other I'll probably look at getting one here in a week or two after I sell back my textbooks to the University for a fraction of the money I spent on them.

Thanks.

2008 Storm Grey SE 4x4

My 30 minute Banks Monster Exhaust review can be found on my youtube page:
www.youtube.com/spurly48
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
interesting i will keep a eye on this one. wouldnt mind having one of these

EDIT: Checked out the ecometer and is compatible with the 08-10 Frontiers - out of the question for me

Frontier Facebook group.
My Build Thread
LED Headlight Review Thread

2014 Nissan Rogue AL AWD - Purchased 3/5/2014 - 20% Tint, Chrome Bumper Protector, LEDs (Dome, Reverse, License Plate, Cargo Area)
2012 CC SV 4x4 - SOLD

Last edited by JB'sFrontier; 11-27-2012 at 05:28 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

I can't imagine the why the Ecometer not being compatible with all Frontiers from '05 to present. I wouldn't think the computers were or any different between the years since they are pretty much identical trucks. Between 4 and 6 cylinders yes, but from the looks of it both meters have selectable programs for different size engine.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 Storm Grey SE 4x4

www.youtube.com/spurly48
#4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Banned
Shift_Obsessed

UG without question. offers so much more options for about the same price.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Garage
To further confuse your choice, here's another.

ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools

Lots of functions and slightly smaller

2011 SV Crew Cab long bed 4x4 Purchased 4/13/11 Totaled 10/14/13
Lifetime fuel info
total miles 68390, 224 fillups, Total gallons used 4021, Total spent on fuel 13411.00 Lifetime mpg 17.

2013 Sv Crew Cab long bed with Sv utility Package Purchased 10-24-13

Mods
Truxedo Truxport Tonno
Window tint
Custom utilitrack mount for side toolbox
tractor supply side toolbox and xover chest
Scanguage
Fyrefly White LED dome and map lights
Hypertech (if they ever get it to work on a 13)

#6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Banned
Shift_Obsessed

for the money and options offered, UG can't be beat. got mine for under $50 i think from the last group buy on here.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanaddicted View Post
To further confuse your choice, here's another.

ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools

Lots of functions and slightly smaller
I also found that while I was searching for the Ecometer, but a $170 price tag is a little high. I was looking at the Ecometer and Ultraguage because they are both about $70. It just seems the ultraguage is almost to good to be true. And there are reviews out there but it doesn't seem to be to popular from my findings. And at least the Ecometer is made by a well known and recognizable brand, even if it is hardly used by some people.

Zoomzoom, have you had any problems with yours? And what's your opinion of it besides having so many features for the same price. Does it seem to be pretty accurate in regards to fuel economy and fuel tank readings?

2008 Storm Grey SE 4x4

www.youtube.com/spurly48
#8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 03:02 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ecometer owner here in an '09 4Cyl auto. $170 is stupid high - they are new on ebay for $65-$70 (shipped) all day long. After owning it for a few months, I'd probably have to consider it a novelty item. If you are serious about getting better MPG, you can learn from it by adjusting your driving habits. (slow, slow starts from a dead stop, learning how to better feather the gas pedal when driving, etc). On instant mode, I've seen .08MPG pulling the JetSkis out of the water, up the boat ramp. I've also seen 144MPG, albeit for only a few moments downhill at highway speeds. I average 26.6 MPG with 90% highway driving at 65-70 MPH in my flat plains.

My biggest complaint is the LED display is not adjustable and is too bright for my liking at night. Borderline obnoxious.

From an Ecometer owner - go with the UltraGauge for tons of more features or alternatively the ScanGauge II, since it matches our amber dashes.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 09:03 AM
Banned
Shift_Obsessed

I've had mine in use for about 7000 miles and have no complaints. being able to pick which gauges to display is nice. I can't recall seeing many if any negative reviews for the UG on the forums.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

I haven't really seen any negative reviews for either but just occasional problems with them when installed in various vehicles including the frontier. I wasn't sure if these problems were continuing or just a freak thing.

Thanks guys for your review. I never would have figured the Ecometer would be that bright but when I saw it in my friends truck it was midday. I'm assuming the UG gives off a nice blue glow in the cab at night.

Does the UG seem to be relatively accurate in terms of MPGs and DTE and other fuel related readings? From what I've seen it seems like you have to enter some fuel information in the UG during setup.

2008 Storm Grey SE 4x4

www.youtube.com/spurly48

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.