Dynapro or Duratrac? - Page 2 - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Dennis
Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx.

“You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred.” - Woody Allen

09 CC SE 4x4
2" Spacer Lift, AFE CAI, AFE MACH Force XP Cat Back Exhaust, 285/75-16 Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx, Defiant Truck Products Light Bar, Hella 700FF Driving Lights, Titus Products Hi-Lift Mount, Titus Products Spare Tire Mount, Titus Products Cargo Box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 03:22 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

another vote for duratracs i love mine
#13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 07:54 AM
Shift_Newbie

Another vote for Duratracs from me! Have had mine for about two months and love them. There is a bit of a hum, but not too bad...nothing the stereo of a conversation doesn't overpower.

2011 Pro 4X Crew Cab - Night Armor

Mods: 1.5" PRG Front Spacers and Camber Bolts, 265/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Weathertech mats and stone/bug deflector, USA-SPEC iPhone adapter, Volant CAI, GPS pod and modified 1390LMT Garmin Nav unit, body color emblems, TB screen fix.
#14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 08:53 AM
Shift_Fanatic
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx.
I realize youre trying to add to the discussion but.....try harder please. I had considered this tire but took it off my list. The pros? The cons?

Oh one more thing, the reason I got down to these two tires is that they are two if only a few tires that you DON'T have to get a load range E. Stupid 16" wheels.

www.nissanwheelers.com

JUST FRIGGIN BY-PASS!!
#15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Shift_Fanatic

For me it was the 3 ply sidewall and it was much cheaper than the duratrac. I read some bad reviews about the duratrac blowing out sidewalls or wearing fast. The S/T Maxx is built on the same carcass as the STT which has awesome reviews. Another plus is that it is made in the USA. I'm not sure where the duratrac is made though...it could be in the USA.

Being only available in load range E might be a con, I thought it was before I bought them; but it's not a con to me after having them on for a while.

Why did you take them off your list?

“You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred.” - Woody Allen

09 CC SE 4x4
2" Spacer Lift, AFE CAI, AFE MACH Force XP Cat Back Exhaust, 285/75-16 Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx, Defiant Truck Products Light Bar, Hella 700FF Driving Lights, Titus Products Hi-Lift Mount, Titus Products Spare Tire Mount, Titus Products Cargo Box

Last edited by Dennis; 12-07-2012 at 09:20 AM.
#16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

I cant belive I have to google ( image ) these things just see the diference, let alone try to help someone ... WTF happened to rule no. 1 ???

With out looking them up, but after reading your "mostly commuter... part time weekend warrior" description ... you wont be happy with ANY tire.

So just pic one that you think is a *good* one ( try to not, over think it ) ... atleast go with the cheaper set, that way the fallowing will leave your wallet heavier :

The ones that you like on asphalt will get you "stuck" off-road ... and the ones that you can acually have some fun with, you're gonna hate them ON the road ...

About the only real solution, is to buy another set of wheels and a cordless impact ...

Last edited by noob; 12-07-2012 at 09:48 AM.
#17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Shift_Fanatic
Premium Member

Dennis - what do you dislike about the load rating? I have my reservations but I'll keep them to my self so as to not steer the conversation.

Noob - I'm not a....noob. Nor am I moron. I'm realize that there are compromises to be made but I'm trying to weigh those compromises with the help of other persons experiences.

www.nissanwheelers.com

JUST FRIGGIN BY-PASS!!
#18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 2,815 Times in 1,637 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You mentioned noise being a concern. My Dynapros were quiet when new. But as they wear down, they have gotten LOUD. They have an annoying hum that started when they were about halfway through their useful life. An internet search found a few other reports complaining of the same thing. I know that it's normal for "off road tires" to hum, but these seem unusually noisy considering how mild the tread pattern is.

Having said that, they shine in just about every situation I have put them in, short of deep snow and some mud. If you will be driving in that type of terrain, then Duratracs are obviously the better choice.

I have no real gripes about the Dynapros, but I will be getting Duratracs for my next set of tires.

Report a bad/flaming/illegal post by clicking on

Suspension Lift Info 05+

2009 SE King Cab 4x4 6 speed
The Following User Says Thank You to JeniorNV For This Useful Post:
BCBrian (12-07-2012)
#19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Shift_Fanatic
Premium Member

Well deep snow will be a consideration. And road noise is to be expected, just don't want the buzz of a worn out MT. Thanks Jen. Have you been good about rotating?

www.nissanwheelers.com

JUST FRIGGIN BY-PASS!!
#20 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Shift_Fanatic

I thought it would be an uncomfortable ride. But at 40 psi it's not too bad.

Another thing that sold me on the S/T Maxx was the test videos from Cooper where they drive a Cherokee through water then climb rocks at the end of the "pond" without slipping. I'll try to find it and post it here.

09 CC SE 4x4

Last edited by Dennis; 12-07-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.