Dynapro or Duratrac? - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Shift_Fanatic
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dynapro or Duratrac?

So it's tire time soon. I'm torn between the duratacs and the dynapros. The duratacs get great reviews but the dynapros are $400 cheaper.....discuss.

I mostly commute with the rig, I hike often in the summer so I'm driving up/down fire/logging roads and tons of driving to the slopes in the snow.

My biggest concern with the duratacs, besides price, is noise. I've had several sets of murders and a few *** and simply don't want to listen to it any more.

www.nissanwheelers.com

JUST FRIGGIN BY-PASS!!

Last edited by chainsaw; 12-06-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 04:16 PM
MWB
Shift_Newbie

I have the Duratracs and love them... The mud traction is pretty good and I even pulled my buddy's heep out of some really deep mud after his starter died and his 4X4 lever broke. The Duratracs had no problem getting grip on the mud that I was in. They are also pretty good on the road and in snow.... Only complaint is they chunk pretty easily if you spin your tires a lot.

2007 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4
-Nismo Stickers (+50 HP)
-Flowmaster single chamber dual exhaust
-Volant CAI
-Bilstien 5100's W/lift coils
-PRG 2AAL W/ Bilstien 5125's
-BullyDog GT Tuner 91 Octane Tune
-Cobra 29 NW Classic W/ 4FT Firestik USA.
-PIAA Fogs
-Headlight HID Upgrade
-265/75/r16 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs
"Don't wanna sound like a dick or nothin', but it says on your chart that you're f'd up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your sht's all retarded."
#3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Premium Member

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Duratracs are hands down the superior tire...that's why they're $400 more. I hear they're ridiculous in snow thanks to all the siping in them.

<-Old truck. Now have a 2012 Xterra Pro-4X
Jordan, ME (EIT)
SmugMug Frontier Pics
2008 Storm Gray SE CC 4x4 6spd
See my garage for list of mods.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Shift_Newbie

2nd Set of Dura Tracs. absolutely love them. best tire I have ever owned. Dynapro's look weak as well
#5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

I bought the Duratrac's a couple months ago (Stock size). So far so good, excellent off-road and they have yet to slip on wet pavement which I see plenty of out here. If you join Treadlightly.org ($25) you can get a $100 rebate on a set of 4 Duratracs. I bought mine at a local Discount Tire and rcvd a $100 rebate from them also. So up front I was out $999 otd but in the end it was $824. And I also was able to sell the stock BFG's that were on the truck on CL for $150 and avoid paying the "disposal fee" at the tire shop, further easing my pain.

2011 Nissan Pro-4X CC, 4x4, Automatic, ARE Topper, LINE-X'd Fender Flares & rockers, Goodyear Duratracs
#6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Dynapro's dont like mud

In the clay at Frank Raines, both Jen and I had a day of slipping and sliding back in Jan. Mud is the only situation where the Dynapro's dont work well. They just load up and turn into heavy slicks.

I'm going to try a more aggressive tread next time. They have started making Duratracs with 3 ply sidewalls, which they didnt have a couple years ago. If you can get a deal, I say go for it.

I really like the Toyo MT but they are big $. The Cooper STT has a similar tread and is more reasonable.

I would suggest you work with your local tire shop. They need sales and will match prices in most cases. That way you can get warranty service and road hazard coverage and probably get free balancing and rotation too.

2010 SE K/C V6 4X4 My Truck Build
Armor: Hefty 5 pc Skid Plate set. Shrockworks Sliders. Blue Torch Fabrication Differential Cover.
Suspension: PRG UCAs with 2.5" Radflos and 650 lb springs. Bilstein 5125s with Deaver AALs.
Wheels and Tires: Stock SE Alloys with Hankook Dynapro ATm LT265/75-16.

*FREE* Hollister Hills Tour Guide

*WARNING* - Clean your Battery Terminals!

Got Questions? Help us Help you
The Following User Says Thank You to BCBrian For This Useful Post:
jjw1 (12-07-2012)
#7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Garage
absolutly love the dyna Pros. Beat out my old favorites, BFG KOs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep 009.jpg
Views:	3967
Size:	452.4 KB
ID:	39951  

My recently departed Friend;
2010 PRO-4X Night Armor CC. K&N intake. Prototype Magnaflow Cat-Back. Superchip'd. Readylift SST 2.5/1.5 lift. 285/75/16 BFG ATs. UHaul Hitch. White Rhino Fab Lightbar w/ Hella 500FFs. PIAA yellow fog bulbs. Silverstar 9007s. Bed mounted Hi-Lift Jack. Nissan acces(hood protector,side rails, window visors).

The Following User Says Thank You to SDHarleydad For This Useful Post:
BCBrian (12-07-2012)
#8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Shift_Fanatic
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBrian View Post
In the clay at Frank Raines, both Jen and I had a day of slipping and sliding back in Jan. Mud is the only situation where the Dynapro's dont work well. They just load up and turn into heavy slicks.

I'm going to try a more aggressive tread next time. They have started making Duratracs with 3 ply sidewalls, which they didnt have a couple years ago. If you can get a deal, I say go for it.

I really like the Toyo MT but they are big $. The Cooper STT has a similar tread and is more reasonable.

I would suggest you work with your local tire shop. They need sales and will match prices in most cases. That way you can get warranty service and road hazard coverage and probably get free balancing and rotation too.
Any tire can get choked up in the right kind of clay, my swamper SXs will choke up with some of the grey crap around here. And toyos are crap. Save your money.

And, I intend to work with discount tire who beats everyone's prices and includes free life time balance and rotate.

www.nissanwheelers.com

JUST FRIGGIN BY-PASS!!

Last edited by chainsaw; 12-06-2012 at 10:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to chainsaw For This Useful Post:
BCBrian (12-07-2012)
#9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Shift_lurker

Liking my Duratracs too. Bought them last year for the snow season and although the season was fairly underwhelming, they did perform well. They look great and I haven't noticed any particular noise problem. They are at least no louder, IMO, than the BFG TA/KOs that they replaced (those tires are known for being pretty quiet).

2005 Storm Grey CC; 6 speed; Alcan leafs with Bilsteins/trying to decide between Radflos with/without UCA; Goodyear Duratracs 265/75/16; Katzkin leather
2008 FJ Cruiser
1986 FJ 60 Land Cruiser
#10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Dynapro's on my Pathfinder for the past year and am very pleased.

Clint

The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

2010 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab Long Bed 4X4 Radiant Silver 6-Speed
2007 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4X4 Desert Stone
2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Frosted Steel
2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Yellow Jacket Edition 6-Speed Stinger Yellow
2014 Nissan Sentra SR Aspen White

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.