Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Does anyone actually pay Nissan to update their in dash GPS?

14K views 50 replies 32 participants last post by  Zero Six LE 
#1 ·
So I noticed Nissan has released an update and they are offering $50 off for the US/Canada Map for a grand total of $99. It seems crazy to pay that for a map update and I'm just curious if others have paid it and if it's been beneficial for you?

#3 ·
Why car makers still put nav systems in vehicles is a mystery. The majority of the population now has a smartphone and something like Google Maps is as current as the latest update and it's free. Sure, some people use a vehicle nav system, or a stand alone GPS, or get turn by turn from On-Star in GM vehicles, which of course involves a monthly fee. The best and cheapest route is the smartphone or a tablet to use as a GPS.

#4 · (Edited)
Lots of road construction in my area, so the maps change regularly. The Nissan update at $99 is fairly reasonable compared to the $275 Toyota wanted for the Prius map updates. I would not buy it unless I had major road changes (mainly new construction) in my area.

It is nice to have stand-alone GPS capability (without a data plan needed to download maps)... For $99, I could buy a Garmin, but it be something else sitting on the dash or stuck to the windshield. Too much radio equipment up there already...

#5 ·
Lots of road construction in my area, so the maps change regularly. The Nissan update at fairly $99 is reasonable compared to the $275 Toyota wanted for the Prius map updates. I would not buy it unless you had major road changes (mainly new construction) in your area.

It is nice to have stand-alone GPS capability (without a data plan needed to download maps)... For $99, I could buy a Garmin, but it be something else sitting on the dash or stuck to the windshield. Too much radio equipment up there already...
The only problem with a stand alone GPS is the base map may be out of date already when you buy the device. Then, unless you get free map updates (not likely) you'll still either be suck with an out of date map or be forced to pay for an expensive update.

#8 ·
Same is true of Magellan. I have a RoadMate 2136-T-LM. Haven't used or updated it in a couple of years. Unit is five years old. No longer use a Windows computer, so nothing to load the update software on. But I'd rather use my phone anyway. One less thing to carry on a trip.

But, most buyers may not be aware of map updates and go for the cheaper units.

#12 · (Edited)
Which may be fine for city to city travel as long as the map is current. But what about a spur of the moment detour to a local restaurant or something? That means a stop to maybe find a local city map or stop a time or two and ask directions.

That paper map won't suggest an alternate route either, if you find yourself suck in traffic due to some unforeseen circumstance.

#13 ·
Honda wants $1000 at the dealer, and $225 online for the disc. Nissan is $100 cad online which is a little better. I would have assumed there would have been ton's of sharing going on online, but haven't been able to find any torrents for either. It is ridiculous that the map updates aren't free, it is a safety issue. :)

#15 ·
Maybe I've been spoiled by my free Garmin maps on my Ducati but you'd think they would be more competitive with the likes of Garmin. Some of these prices from Toyota and Honda...wow. I typically use Waze but it's such a power drain and the long cord I had providing power doesnt work any longer unfortunately so the phone sits in the drink holder or something. Living near Atlanta, I don't go too many places without GPS that can account for traffic...which brings me to another issue with the Nissan navigation - guessing you need XM traffic or something.

#26 · (Edited)
Buying map updates kind of reminds me of buying a new 32-volume leather-bound set of Encyclopædia Britannica every few years - In the era of Wikipedia.

#18 ·
I am in the Google maps camp. On numerous occasions it has warned me of traffic issues and offered an alternate route. It actually tells me approximately how much time is/will be saved by choosing the alternative route. Additionally, a couple of the route have been pretty interesting.

#19 ·
I have a Garmin and it sucks compared to Google maps. Garmin has horrible settings, if you put it on shortest distance it will take through some of the weirdest ways. If it does pick up on a traffic jam it's usually too late. It's arrival time never calculates for traffic lights or stop and go traffic. Google maps is so much better like m_bisson and R.T. said.

I really pissed off my Garmin once, for real true story. My wife and I went to see a friend that lives near Stafford Virginia. We put his address in the Garmin and it wanted to go on I95S so bad. But I knew back roads off 301S and kept making it recalculate cause we weren't listening to it. Right near his house we started listening to Garmin cause we weren't familiar with that area. Garmin made us pass his road go for a couple miles and then get on I95S and get off on a exit get back on I95N and 20mins later we were back at that same road that was 2 minutes from his house. B*tch really got us back for not listening to her for so long on that trip :)

#20 ·
I have a Garmin and it sucks compared to Google maps. Garmin has horrible settings, if you put it on shortest distance it will take through some of the weirdest ways. If it does pick up on a traffic jam it's usually too late. It's arrival time never calculates for traffic lights or stop and go traffic. Google maps is so much better like m_bisson and R.T. said.

I really pissed off my Garmin once, for real true story. My wife and I went to see a friend that lives near Stafford Virginia. We put his address in the Garmin and it wanted to go on I95S so bad. But I knew back roads off 301S and kept making it recalculate cause we weren't listening to it. Right near his house we started listening to Garmin cause we weren't familiar with that area. Garmin made us pass his road go for a couple miles and then get on I95S and get off on a exit get back on I95N and 20mins later we were back at that same road that was 2 minutes from his house. B*tch really got us back for not listening to her for so long on that trip :)
In my area, I can say the same about Google maps and Wayz both. My Garmin 2797LM has the best routing but the worst timing. It's always 15-20 minutes longer than it takes. Ways is spot on every time, but gets lost out in the sticks. I can be traveling on a two lane Farm to Market road that is SHOWN ON THE SCREEN and it doesn't have a clue where we are. Garmin ALWAYS has the best routing. I run my Garmin and Wayz at the same time and it works well.

My new Q50S has built in nav and in Suburban/Urban areas, it works well. However the map was a year out of date when I bought the car and they want $120 to update it. My sons house, that's been there for over two years is not on it.

#22 ·
While I agree that the Google Maps options are probably the best, I also know that up until recently it didn't allow you to cache the map tiles, so it needed a live internet connection to be completely useful.

Since I live in the hinterlands, where cellular internet connectivity is unreliable, and traffic services are non-existent, Google Maps isn't always my best option.

The additional items I wanted in my truck were part of a trim package that included navigation. Being an amateur radio operator, my dash is loaded with radio and weather spotter equipment, so having the Nav in the built-in sound system, frees space for my other geek toys.

$99 is a little stiff for a single map update, but it is FAR less than what the other automakers charge for their updates. At whatever time the maps are outdated enough that I can't use them, I'll pay for an update. I'm paying for the convenience.

Kind of hard to to criticize what people spend on their trucks and the reasons why. I know people that have spent $$$ to replace license plate bulbs with LED's. Why? I'm sure it's not so the police can read the plate easier. It really provides little to no benefit to the driver. Maybe it just makes them feel good. That should be a good enough reason.

#23 ·
Yea, I have a fantastic Garmin 7" GPS that I totally trust and use when I know I'll be traveling somewhere unfamiliar or for long complex multi stop road-trips. I update the maps for free just prior to needing it and I love the huge display and features of the dedicated unit..

It would be nice if you could cafeteria style buy features vs being stuck getting GPS etc with the higher end trim levels, but manufacturers package these items to make more money and make it simpler on the assemble line I guess. I use the Nissan built in GPS only for simple spur of the moment needs and its fine for that, but I probably wouldn't pay much to update its maps.

#28 ·
Standalone dash unit, OEM NAV Unit, Google Maps on your phone. It's all in what you get used to, and what you're personally comfortable with.

As for me, I'd love to use Google Maps through my iPhone (not an Android guy) and display it on the dashboard through an aftermarket Head Unit such as a CarPlay enabled Pioneer, Alpine, or Kenwood. Alas, CarPlay only works with Apple Maps and while I have no real problem with Apple Maps "per se", the fact that I can't set it to avoid toll roads is a deal breaker for me.

Around Northern Virginia, almost every road that leads anywhere you wanna go quickly requires tolls and you could easily spend $500/month or more just to get back/forth to work if you didn't actively avoid them. (Unfortunately more and more places all over the country are now going this route to make money)...

Back to the point;

The problem as I see it with either OEM or aftermarket head units with built-in navigation is that neither come with "lifetime maps", meaning you always have to go back and pay either Nissan, Pioneer, or whomever, crazy money to get an update like once a year (if you're lucky and they put one out)... In my adoptive neck of the woods, road construction is a constant and routes change almost weekly because of it.

Would I pay Nissan or anyone else $150 or so for a yearly update? Probably, but the simple fact is that my Garmin 2598LMT that I bought for $99 gives me lifetime updates for traffic and maps (though Garmin's traffic service sucks around here) and their maps are updated regularly. Until CarPlay opens up to allow Google Maps (or screen sharing in general), I'll stick with my Garmin.

That being said, I'm currently thinking about whipping out a 3D printer to create a replacement for the dashboard tray which will hold my garmin semi-permanently and hard wire it to look like a stock GPS unit.

If I can get that done, is there any interest?

#30 ·
So I guess the answer is no. Nobody has paid for the map update. Personally, I would pay $99 for an update that fixes all the gremlins an gives me an equalizer with a separate sub control. I don't use the nav anywhere near enough to justify the $99.

#32 ·
I did it last year when it went on sale for $70 to upgrade the maps in my 2013.. Wasn't worth it, the verbal instructions went to poo (late/unclear directions) and not enough road changes locally to make it worth while. I went from using it occasionally to using it never. If it would have let me downgrade to the old SD card, I would have. But it's a one-way upgrade. It actually copies the map off the SD card, then just checks to make sure it is installed after that. (and yes it was the official Nissan SD card that I purchased)

#35 ·
I realize this is a stale topic but a couple of thoughts. When portable GPS units came out there were NO free map updates... My first Magellan cost over $200.00 and the updates were 80 bucks each! It was several years before they offered LMT options with free updates.

My wife has a Mazda CX-3 with a factory NAV unit and it comes with 3 years of free updates; I have updated it twice already. So maybe as time goes by this problem will be addressed and the updates will be free or reasonable.

As to Google Maps those that use them be happy! But nobody seems to realize that one must first buy an expensive smart phone (some as much as $1000.) and keep your cell service active... So this option is not free either...

I just bought a new to me 2015 SL with Nissan NAV. But upon checking I realized the NAV was 4 versions behind! So at the end of negotiations I told my dealer that he/they must bring NAV up to date. Of course they agreed to sell a car. I will play with the OEM unit and see how I like it and if not will go back to my tried and true Garmin with LMT.

#38 ·
The Audi map updates included firmware updates to the MMI. (Came on a DVD) I thought the $250 price was ridiculous, but I did buy one update when I took my A3 to Canada. (Data roaming on a cell phone for a two week vacation might have been a hefty bill too.) I would have loved an update for $99 at the time. I will have to see how good the GPS is on the Frontier when I get it next week to see if/when I might update it.

#39 ·
Im 10 years i bought one map update for a camry after 6 years. ~$150.

the one things i like on this nav is the split screen for highway who show all the exits coming with distance, time , and what you can find there . (gas, resto, fast food etc..) .

Else on the frontier , i use Wase for traffic. and Navmii (ios) if no traffic and/or very long trip .

#41 ·
I need to get another android unit one of these days for my truck. Definitely worth the price for what you get. You can get apps that are for offline gps use (no internet connection needed, maps are pre-loaded like oem nav). I believe google maps does this now. Also Magellan is building a new app that has off-road courses pre-loaded and you can use your home pc and create tracks that you want to drive before execution. The link below is there actual GPS unit but if you search the android store you can download the software to try out. Its a little buggy right now but if they keep working at it, I can see myself consistently using it. Check it out.

Magellan eXplorist TRX7 Off-road GPS-Navigation

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.