Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Decisions Decisions....

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  lunchindabox 
#1 ·
Hey all,

It's been a while since I've been here, but I just picked up a little Frontier and trying to decide what to do with it...

I haven't popped the hood, but it runs and drives with the exception of some rubbing. Guy hit a guard rail and didn't have insurance or something so he sold it as-is.

As far as I can tell, its a 2008 SE v6 automatic crew cab long bed RWD. Only 95k Miles. It doesn't seem to have a lot of add-ons or features, but I got alloy wheels, power windows and some bed accessories...

I'm deciding to either fix it local (title is supposedly clean and not salvage) or send it to Ghana...Estimate from the body shop is $3500 (discount thru a friend)
Once fixed, I will have less in it that the book value of about $12k? (seems high to me, but you all know better than I do)

It came as you see in the pics. The suspension is untouched.
It's basically all sheet metal and the air intake box, the headlight and radiator with radiator support)

SO, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

See less See more
#2 ·
If the frame rails are straight and don't need to be tweaked, a lot of the parts you need are probably avail aftermarket. So if you can unbolt and bolt on a few replacement parts, you can probably save some cash and just have the bodyshop squirt it cheap.

Might be worth fixing and either a) keeping to drive or b) seeing if local buyer is interested. Otherwise, exporting a whole, cosmetically-desirable unit is probably easier than something cracked up.

#3 ·
I would look and see if the radiator fluid was ever contaminated by the tranny line leak (the smod problem these model years had) and if appears discolored then check the tranny fluid to see if its discolored or burnt smell to it. If either radiator or tranny are contaminated due to the cross contamination problem then I would take it to the salvage yard and see what they will give you. If all looks good and it seems to shift ok and to not overheat after warmed up good....then I would keep it. Make sure the frame was not knocked out of alignment too. If the frame is bent, I would junk it.

#4 ·
It doesnt look like he hit the guard rail too hard, the damage is pretty superficial from the looks of that picture; only major "plastic" and body pieces are broken, but there may be more, since we cant see the damaged side of the vehicle.

@xtopherfishing had a pretty good suggestion, if the tranny fluid hasnt been contaminated by the radiator fluid, and the frame is fine, then it will probably be worth saving.

As for the resale value on these trucks, they hold their value quite well, the Pro4X and 4x4 models especially. Is it a 2008 SE 4x4 or 2WD? you listed only "RWD" and the trucks are RWD :)

#6 ·
The frame is good, the body shop didn't say they needed to do anything there.

The estimate was 5500 with dealer parts and 3500 with my 'friend' discount and aftermarket parts. Im just too lazy and busy to do any bolt on parts and the apron is bent up, I don't have the expertise to correct that myself

Exporting as is happens to be the best option, I sell to wholesalers who have super cheap third world labor, that is what makes it exportable. Repairing local is a terrible idea if exporting anyways...

The tranny leak is a a good call, I better check that before giving the go ahead to repair...

this little baby is a 2wd.

NEVER GO TO A SALVAGE YARD TO SELL YOUR CAR, AT LEAST NOT ANYTHING NEVER THAN 1998.

Yup, the clean title is why I paid what I did for it and why I am considering fixing vs automatic export...

Just for funzies, thought you might want to see what I bought last week, 2013 and just over $10k. Some non-repairable documentation, not a usable title. "MV-907A(New York)" Going straight overseas!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.