Nissan Frontier Forum banner

DANA 44 / Axle vent mod / '16 Pro4X

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Nissan4Life 
#1 ·
Tried finding this without asking, but found conflicting info.

Does a '16 Pro4X CC with AT need the vent mod?

#2 ·
Yes. The factory 'breather' is prone to clogging, so remove it to prolong your axle seal life.

PRG Diff breather kit

#3 ·
"Need" is a tricky word. Some may (and have) argue(d) that none of them need the mod. However, it's widely believed if your Diff has one of those cheesy metal valves on it (which yours should), you "should" do the mod. With that said, the mod is no guarantee you still won't get a leak because factors other than pressure can also contribute to a leak.

Clear as mud.

Reactions: quack4du
#5 ·
If you offroad, you NEED to do it. one water crossing and it will 'pay for itself' (no water ingestion @ the seals). Another thing you should do is an aftermarket dif cover (like the ARB unit). Better defense against rocks, and a thick flange prevents the cover getting peeled off the mating face. And a unit like the ARB also reinforces the bearing cradles (important if you run larger tires or have a heavy foot)

If you keep it on the road, replacing the poppet valve is recommended.

Reactions: quack4du
#6 ·
Done.
And glad I did it.
I dis-assembled the factory vent cap to see what Nissan engineers were thinking. Spring-loaded flat Teflon disc held inside the stamped housing.
So it remains in a "closed position" (disc face rests on nipple end) unless/until enough pressure builds inside differential to compress the spring "open", and then only until the pressure relieved equals spring tension.

Crude to say the least.

Certainly not a superior design for a road grime environment, much less a submerged axle.

#7 · (Edited)
OK guys, I need a little help here. I have a 2018 PRO4X and I'm doing the vent mod to my axle but, I can NOT find a fitting that will thread into the axle. I took out the stock vent and went to my local NAPA store. After trying about 15 different fittings, we had no luck in finding one with the correct thread pitch or anything that would thread in more than a 1/2 turn or so. Does anyone have a part number for one that they used? I think that the stock one may be 1/8" pipe thread, and the best I can tell with my thread gauge it's 28 threads per inch. Can't believe I'm having this much trouble finding a fitting that will work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.