Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Custom Air Intake Pipe and Catch Can for VQ

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  smj999smj 
#1 · (Edited)
Just got done making an intake pipe for my 2006 Frontier V6.

I used 3" mandrel bent aluminum tubes and some 3-1/4" to 3" silicone couplers from Ebay. I didnt really want to get rid of the factory air box and MAF sensor tube, so I just left all that. I also was not expecting it to make any significant power gains (it doesnt feel much different driving). I just like to make stuff.

For the catch can, I used one from Radium Engineering and made a custom mount for it. Then I plumbed it to the crank case vent port on the LH valve cover. I will probably add another one of these cans to the PCV hose in the future. Since it seems the PCV hose is how the majority of the oil ends up in the intake manifold, on my engine anyway. And I would rather that oil end up in a catch can.

Anyway, not expecting huge improvements/differences/gains over stock, but as I said, I just like to make stuff and thought I would share.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not trying to knock your work; what you made looks great! However, you "may" have actually lost a little performance. The factory intake has a built-in resonator, which you no longer have on your re-design. Most people think the only thing the resonator does is quiet the noise of the intake air, which it does do, but it also controls pressure wave harmonics which makes for a more efficient flow of air to the engine (the link below gives a good description of what a resonator does and how it does it). Since you kept the factory air box, there is no increased capability for air flow as would be for an aftermarket CAI system with a bigger box and inlet or an open style filter design with a heat barrier, so there's no increased performance there.

What Does an Air Intake Resonator Do? | eHow

#3 ·
Good point! and I am OK with that.

Having first hand experience R&D'ing prototype intake systems on a chassis dyno, I know that any loss or gain with this design will be minimal, if at all. The 350Z (VQ35 engine) ECU loved to constantly alter short term fuel and ignition trimming all the time, impacting power output way more than intake design.

#5 ·
Yeah, they do offer some purpose other than just noise. One of the features of Injen's cold air intake system is that they do have a built-in resonator:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.