Cold Weather - Cranking - No Start - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold Weather - Cranking - No Start

Hey guys,
I have searched on the forums and I have not found anything that matches my issue. Please help if you have experienced this.

We are hitting our first cold days of the year, and my truck will not start. It has a nice hard consistent crank but will not fire. Before I bought the truck they had a hell of a time starting it back in February. They sent it to the dealer and they tried to chase the issue for over a week and found nothing. Then all the sudden the truck started fine and no issues were found. Little did I know that when winter came around again we would reproduce the issue.

We just hit 0 degree temps and the truck started fine yesterday. Today I go out, nothing. No codes triggered. I have heard something about these injectors being horrible in cold weather, but don't know for sure. Any ideas?

Battery is cranking fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Shift_Obsessed

check your battery connections and cables.

05 LE CC 4X4. SUPER BLACK
#3 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 01:41 AM
Shift_Newbie

Do you plug in the block heater? I usually start plugging in at about -15C (5F) just to be nice but my truck started fine well below that, it just complains a little first.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 01:53 AM
Shift_lurker

Block Heater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-M-R-T View Post
Do you plug in the block heater? I usually start plugging in at about -15C (5F) just to be nice but my truck started fine well below that, it just complains a little first.
Um.. No, I had no idea it had a block heater... Where in the heck is the plug for it? I better start doing some research.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 03:02 AM
Shift_lurker

no block heater found.

I looked around the battery and in the front bumper for a plug but no luck. From what I have read they are not standard in american models just in canadian.

It looks like the battery is oe and only lists 525 cca maybe 575 can't remember which. Is that to low nd possibly the reason it won't start in the cold? Interstate sells one for our trucks rated at 800 cca.

Ideas?
#6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 04:15 AM
Shift_lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry07Nismo View Post
Hey guys,
...We are hitting our first cold days of the year, and my truck will not start. It has a nice hard consistent crank but will not fire...

Battery is cranking fine.
Then it's not the battery.

Not trying to insult you, but from pg 5-11 of the online owners manual:

"If the engine is very hard to start in extremely cold weather or when restarting, depress the accelerator pedal a little (approximately 1/3 to the floor) and hold it and then crank the engine. Release the key and the accelerator pedal when the engine starts."
#7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry07Nismo View Post
I looked around the battery and in the front bumper for a plug but no luck. From what I have read they are not standard in american models just in canadian.

It looks like the battery is oe and only lists 525 cca maybe 575 can't remember which. Is that to low nd possibly the reason it won't start in the cold? Interstate sells one for our trucks rated at 800 cca.

Ideas?
if its turning over then i doubt its the battery. does it sound like the truck is turning over normally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-M-R-T View Post
not installed on the US model and i dont believe its even offered as an option/add on for the US.

05 LE CC 4X4. SUPER BLACK

Last edited by Mylt1; 12-07-2011 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
#8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Shift_lurker

IPDM Failed

Hopefully this thread helps someone in the future. My IPDM failed and has to be replaced. Not covered under any other warranty than the 3/36 so all comes out of my pocket.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.