Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Cold start issues - cranks fine, but no start.

42K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  aur0ra85 
#1 · (Edited)
Really regretting buying this truck at this point.

Anyways, onto my issue: I've been having some cold start issues - basically, if the temp drops below 30 degrees, it refuses to immediately start on the first turn of the key. It turns over just fine, cranks very strong, battery is brand new. But it won't

A few things I've found to work:
- Cycling the ignition key a few times to build fuel pressure
- Letting the key sit at ON for a few seconds prior to starting

I'd think it's a fuel delivery issue, but the truck starts just fine once it's warmed up. No sputtering, the truck hasn't stalled or died on me, no CEL. I've checked the IPDM, and I seem to have the updated one. The fuel pump and FSU were replaced in 2013 at 36k miles.

So, my thoughts are it's the ignition/ECM relay (I bought one, just need to figure out the location so I can swap it), or it's possibly the ECM itself. I have read a few things about the ECMs going bad or having issues in the cold.

I guess this weekend I'll try putting a heat gun to the ECM while it's super cold and see if it improves anything - I haven't had it completely fail to start yet at least. Hopefully it doesn't get to that point.

Who else has dealt anything like this?

See less See more
#3 ·
Bought from a Nissan dealer, who I'd like to burn at the stake at this point.

I even pulled the Nissan service history - nothing shows up that points to ECM issues.

It's a 3 owner truck, clean enough, no accidents or major issues indicated on the Carfax.

Let's get back to the topic at hand before you try to call me an idiot.

#5 ·
It definetly sounds like fuel issue, was replacement pump OEM or aftermarket? My ford ranger went through 4 aftermarket fuel pumps in 8 mo, after I put OEM pump on I had no trouble for two years before I sold it. I don't know whether our fuel system has check valve to hold fuel primed while off. The other issue that can effect cold starting is ambient air temp sensor thinking its warmer and not activating choke. Just a few thoughts - good luck!

#6 ·
OEM pump and FSU - done under warranty by a previous owner at a Nissan dealership.

This morning was a particularly tough start (temp was 14 degrees this morning) - colder it gets, the worse the issue is.

I replaced the ignition relay as a 'why not' - we'll see what happens tonight when I head home from work after the truck's been sitting all day.

#9 ·
has it thrown any engine codes, have you hooked it up to a code reader?

#12 ·
Well that's to bad.

was it doing this when it wasn't cold out?
If it were me I'd be looking for a slow leak in the fuel lines somewhere, it might explain why cycling the key starts it, it could need help repressurizing the fuel lines to start it. Maybe check the starter to. Just some thoughts.

#13 ·
I would think it could be a leak in your fuel system dropping pressure, or it could be the key. Try using another key? Sounds funny but my brother had the same problem with this 4runner. Turns out the key he was using didn't always send the correct magic hand shake to the computer preventing it from starting first time. He had them reprogrammed and it works fine now.

#14 ·
No fuel leaks anywhere - no fuel on the ground, no fuel smell, I've been under the truck and traced the fuel lines, no residue or anything.

So, tonight was one of the worst times I've had starting the truck. Sat at work all day, temperature when I left was ~15°F. Jumped in, turned the key, just cranked. Tried cycling the key, didn't work either. Tried depressing the accelerator, too - nothing.

Finally just said **** it and let the key sit at ON for 10+ seconds, and it kicked right over and started on the first hit of the starter.

I've just about had my fill at this point, I'm looking at options to just get out of this truck and into something either new or 1 year old with way less miles. I'm a month and a half into ownership here and I've seen way too many gremlins in the kremlin, if you know what I mean.

#15 ·
I am having this same issue with a 2019 Frontier. I keep it in the garage and it starts hard in the morning or after work in the parking lot ever since it got cold out. Battery tested fine. Just doesn’t want to start immediately...I have to pump the gas on cold starts.

Did you find your issue?

#16 · (Edited)
Engine coolant temperature sensor would be a prime suspect.

If it fails, the ECM doesn't "know" that the engine is cold, and doesn't enrich the fuel mixture enough for the engine to start.

#17 ·
I’ve been having the same issue with my 2012 frontier. My neighbor is a Nissan tech and he said that it might be that the initial draw when starting is dipping below 10 amps which tricks the computer into not allowing it to start. You can find out by holding in the trip reset while turning the key to the on position until the warning lights pop up. The. You just press the reset until it pops up with batter, the. Try to start it. You will see if it drops below 10 amps.

#20 ·
You might be referring to the battery voltage dropping below 10 volts during cranking. (The starter draws several hundred amps - not 10 amps).

I have a digital voltmeter installed on my Frontier, and watch the battery voltage every time I start it.

It routinely drops below 9 volts during cranking, and yet the engine starts just fine.

I don't know what the minimum battery voltage is for the ECU to still work - but it's a heck of a lot less than 10 volts.

#19 ·
Temp sensor can cause that as well fuel pump relay as well or after market parts like he said above they will work but not always not built to last Hondas Nissan etc its recommended to get dealer parts cuz aftermarket parts don't always work well with Japanese cars I call them temp fix parts lol put bottle of heat in fast or try seafoam in gas maybe injectors are clogged so fuel ain't getting through much

#21 ·
Really regretting buying this truck at this point.

Anyways, onto my issue: I've been having some cold start issues - basically, if the temp drops below 30 degrees, it refuses to immediately start on the first turn of the key. It turns over just fine, cranks very strong, battery is brand new. But it won't

A few things I've found to work:
  • Cycling the ignition key a few times to build fuel pressure
  • Letting the key sit at ON for a few seconds prior to starting

I'd think it's a fuel delivery issue, but the truck starts just fine once it's warmed up. No sputtering, the truck hasn't stalled or died on me, no CEL. I've checked the IPDM, and I seem to have the updated one. The fuel pump and FSU were replaced in 2013 at 36k miles.

So, my thoughts are it's the ignition/ECM relay (I bought one, just need to figure out the location so I can swap it), or it's possibly the ECM itself. I have read a few things about the ECMs going bad or having issues in the cold.

I guess this weekend I'll try putting a heat gun to the ECM while it's super cold and see if it improves anything - I haven't had it completely fail to start yet at least. Hopefully it doesn't get to that point.

Who else has dealt anything like this?

#22 ·
I have a 2008 Nissan Frontier with cold starting issues, when it's below 30% the engine turns over great but does not start. I've found if I turn the key on and let it sit for about 15 to 20 seconds it usually fires up and is good for the day. When it sits over night and gets cold it's the same old problem. Any thoughts on the coolant temp. sensor being bad? Thanks Will

#23 ·
I had a battery fail after 9 months. Voltage would drop to 9.5vdc while cranking. Would start just fine though. Then when it was 5 degrees one night, dropped to 7.-vdc while cranking. It started after a bit. Think the fuel pump cycled off, letting the voltage to rise some. [emoji848] Anyway, trip back to the battery supplier, replacement battery, under warranty, better battery too! Voltage never drops below 11.-vdc. My point is thinking the computer will work down to 8vdc +/-. Usually all sensors use 5vdc thought. Remember being told that by someone, stuck in my head. If you have auto headlights, the heat, or ac on, radio on, it's all drawing on a weak battery, it may not start.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

#25 ·
I am going through this as well. Has been an ongoing problem couple of years. Replaced all sensors, fuel pump and injectors , bcm, all relays, ipdm when i rebuilt my engine. None of that changed anything.
Sorta forgot about it because my old truck isnt used much til winter.
Couple days ago , even though they looked ok and showed within spec resistance wise I replaced the battery terminals with oem, replaced the positive fuse link holder, replaced the ground cable with 4AWG tinned marine cables and added an extra ground to the engine , and to the chassis grounding points on passenger side. I load tested my 8 month old battery, and its only 60% of its rated capacity and will not charge up further.
It sat for three days during this winterstorm we are having, (couple of nights in single digits plus windchill) and it fired right off.
Once I have the battery warrantied I am 99% certain it will be cured.
My problem was any temp below 40 engine would spin over fine , but not spark the plugs. A high output battery, and proper connections is an absolute must have with Nissan products.
Other problems could exist, but these are the first things to check off.