Clutch Rattle driving me nuts!!! - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking IT'S FIXED !!!! --- Clutch Rattle driving me nuts!!!

Long story short this will be the 4th time taking it back into the dealer for them to try and repair this .... first time they had the truck for 2 days, second time 3 days, this last time they had it for 4 days ... everytime they say it's fixed, I drive it and an hour later this noise is back. I'm really thinking they don't test-drive these cars enough when they "repair" them. I can't be without a truck anymore.

Please help ... can I demand a loaner?

Nissan has told me they've checked the throw-out bearing and it's in clearance. I'm at a lost. I'm taking the truck back in tomorrow. If they don't fix it this time, I don't kow what I'll do.

I have a '05 Nismo 6spd... and have this rattle (buzzing, metal on metal grinding sound) that sounds like it's coming from the area of the clutch pedal. Sounds horrible, multiple people have heard it and even the nissan techs have heard it.

It happens mostly when the truck is warmed up and in 3rd gear at 3K- 3.5K rpms and accelerating mid to full throttle though it has happened in any gear at any rpm. When I slighty apply any pressure to the clutch pedal the rattle gets louder and then goes completely away as I keep applying the pedal. At no time am I disenguaging the clutch. Basicly just resting my foot on the clutch pedal taking out the free play. When this noise is happening I feel no lost in power or slippage of the clutch.

Last edited by darren05; 12-11-2006 at 12:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 10:49 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

I have the EXACT same rattle in my truck. It used to be very intermittent, so I didn't bother taking it to the dealer. Lately it's a lot more common, so I'm scheduling a visit sometime in the next couple of weeks. The dealer is an hour away from me, though, so I can't let them keep my truck without a loaner. This seems like something that would be simple to fix. My old roommate and I have poked around under the hood but haven't found anything yet.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

at least I'm not the only one ....
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Chicorob
I have a similar noise but havent noticed it around the clutch pedal. Mine seems to be from behind the instrument panel. It isnt the clip around the AC pole against the firewall. Mine happens at mid to WOT and is intermittent. Sounds like metal on metal tapping. My dealer couldnt find it and it drived me crazy. My 05 6sp has a bundle of rattles that started in the last few months. Sucks.

05 Frontier SE CC 4x4 6sp
03 G35 Coupe
97 Coleman Bayside Trailer

Billit Grill, Chrome Door Handles, 20" Chrome Wheels, Bug deflector, Custom Utilitrack Bike Attachment, Chrome Mirror Covers, Nismo Shift Knob, Pathy Swith Covers, Coverking Leatherette Seat Covers, Leather Steering Wheel cover, Kenwood DVD w/iPod interface (no longer...Stolen!!) Pioneer CD Head Unit with iPod interface, Polk db Series front and rear, MTX amp, 6 1/2" Powered Bazooka Sub, Volant CAI, Helper Springs, TomTom Navi with custom setup (Second theft...punks) Garmin Nuvi GPS with custom location.....and more to come!
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mine sounds like it's coming from directly behind the speedometer. I've been tempted to remove some dash pieces in hopes of finding it. It's definitely related to the clutch pedal, though. I can change or eliminate the sound by pressing on the pedal, just as Darren described.

My 05 had this rattle, the squeaky suspension (or hood stops or fuel pump?), and a misaligned king cab door that would also rattle a bit. I fixed the door myself and I'm taking it to the dealer for the other two problems. Mechanically, though, this thing has been great. I literally jumped it over a small hill and didn't damage a thing. Well, other than my buddy's head when he thumped it on the ceiling. These little problems are annoying but I love my truck overall. Best vehicle I've owned so far.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 06:02 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Sounds like a candidate for a Recall. Others should keep chiming in if they have this problem as well. Stir the roosters nest so to speak.

Years ago I had a Ford Escape when they first came out (I know flame me all you want for buying that POS), and 2 times had the clutch replaced within the warranty timeframe. My Mother in law had the same exact SUV and had hers replaced twice as well. They didn't sell many of these with clutches, most were automatics. My Mother in law the last time she went to the dealer (California), they said there was some bulletin regarding this clutch saying more or less it was defective, yet no recal notice was ever sent to them or us. The dealership in my area (Washington) said no such bulletin existed. I decided to cut loose of the SUV and will never buy a Ford again.

Course I would never recommend such action with our trucks, but it sounds like something’s not right here. And lets not forget, a clutch is an expensive thing to replace!
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Update: Dealer has had my truck all week investigating this noise ... still no solution.

At least I have a loner this time so I'm not bugging people for rides everywhere.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 12:35 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HKYStormFront
i have the same rattle, i looked for the A/C thing but did not see it on mine (i've seen a pic of it on some1 else's thread about this) i may have missed it but i don't think so. i also have a slight rattle from the shifter area itself, possibly the console at low rpms while in gear. as in rolling up to a light slowly, let out the clutch in 2nd, engine down to less than 1k rpm then pushing the gas (light or hard both). not really sure what that is tho...

Patrick // 06 KC Nismosis 6 spd Storm Gray
Mods: lots... Uprev tuned: 257whp & 292 ft lbs
09 Pontiac G8 GXP // M6 // Sunroof // Tint... For Now
http://jpmcgphotography.smugmug.com <-- My Photography

"I prefer to drive manuals because I prefer to drive, not be driven."
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 07:08 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren05
Update: Dealer has had my truck all week investigating this noise ... still no solution.

At least I have a loner this time so I'm not bugging people for rides everywhere.
Hmm... Seams fishy. Either it's been sitting for a week and they've done nothing. Or they've taken it mud whomping everyday and haven't heard the noise yet.

Did they at least comp you with a rental?
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcobb
Hmm... Seams fishy. Either it's been sitting for a week and they've done nothing. Or they've taken it mud whomping everyday and haven't heard the noise yet.

Did they at least comp you with a rental?

Yeah, they comp-ed me a rental ... there was no way I was dropping the truck off with one ... good thing I got one too because this is getting to be a ridiculous amount of time so I doubt they are just sitting on the truck because everyday I got the rental is costing them money $$.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.