Nissan Frontier Forum banner

cheapest place to order tires

4K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  Nissan4Life 
#1 ·
ive always ordered my tires from tire easy. but over the last few years ive started to look around. the only other cheaper place ive seen are treadwright tires. nothing against them because i do love my retreads but my next set will be geared a little more towards daily driving.

where do you guys order your tires from? and how much are you spending?

#3 ·
a-lot of shops have started to charge extra if you bring in your own tires (ie. online order). End result unless you know someone who can mount and balance for cheap sometimes just doing the whole thing locally can still be cheaper.

#4 ·
I have ordered alot of tires from Tire Rack and recently thread wright.
Local tire shops typically charge $15 per to mount and balance. Alot of folks around here swap tires seasonally. So no one gives you crap about bringing in your own tires. Except for one ******* tire shop in Truckee.

#5 ·
I use http://www.tirerack.com/ quite a lot. It is an excellent place to research tires and read ratings and reviews even if you decide not to buy there. Another reason to use them is that they carry a lot of brands - some of which can't be found in any of my local tire shops. For my 2001 Corvette I took a chance and saved a big pile of money over the OEM good years buy going with Sumitomo tires - which I had never heard of - but which turned out to be great tires.

They also provide a list of local shops in your area that work with them, including mounting and balancing prices. And if you choose a shop from their list, they will ship the tires directly to the shop so you don't have to accept delivery and haul them there yourself.

I've also had good luck with Discount Tire for more run of the mill sort of tires.

#6 ·
When I've checked on-line, seems the biggest difference is shipping and your location- ie; if you're close to shipping point. I recently bought some winter tires and buying local (mounted and balanced and installed) was $5 more than on-line w/shipping. So, was actually cheaper OTD to buy local. The two big boys, tire rack and discount tire, usually have suggested installers in most cities.

#11 ·
Treadwright people, how have your tires worn for you?
I've never had an issue with them. The only time they haven't worn evenly was when I had them on my Ranger and ran the pressure too high, so they wore the middle out too quick. (just like any other tire would) I just bought a set for my Frontier and I'm planning to buy a set for my Sierra before the snow flies too.

#15 ·
It's actually an urban legend that those are from retreads. Any tire run under pressure long enough will delaminate and make a gator. Virgin or retread, it's all the same, it all comes down to maintenance.

#14 ·
I generaly buy my tires from Tire Rack and take them to one of the local high schools that have an Auto shop. The students mount and balance the tires and I buy a couple of pizza's for the class.

#26 ·
when i took mine offroad i aired down to 18psi and they took everything with a smile and then drove 2.5 hours home smiling as well. i really do love them. but looking for more of a passenger set for my next tire since this is still the current daily

#18 ·
Prefer discount/america's tire for the warranty. Cut the sidewall on a durratrac with about 200 miles on it, went in, signed my name and went back out with a new tire. And they are all over the place so it I have an issue when I am far from home, like this weekend I am wheeling in Vegas, where I have 16 of their franchises to be able to get a tire replaced if I have issues even though they were originally bought in the Bay area of California.

Since they will also beat any price you bring them, even internet prices, I do not see why I would go anywhere else. That and they will patch a flat and rebalance a tire for anyone for free, even if you have never bought tires from them. That is one of the things that I call customer service.

#19 ·
What I found in my search for tires was online places will have the tire cheaper but will get you on shipping. The places with free shipping will charge a few bucks more per tire. Compare the same tire from Discount tire and discounttire direct. Free shipping? not really.

I trolled tire rack for quite some time and one day found they had a double rebate on the tires I wanted so that cancelled out the shipping fees. I have a friend with a tire mounting machine and I didn't want to worry about a tire shop refusing to mount my 285's if they rubbed.

#20 · (Edited)
Well, as always when ordering anything online, you have to compare the total price including sales tax (or lack thereof) and shipping and all other factors.

I've often found that for just your run of the mill tires like your average passenger car tire, going in to the local discount tire store has seemed like as good a price as anywhere. But when I'm looking for something more specialized or performance tires, I've generally found tire rack to be the best deal.

The other factor to consider is that tire rack has many more brands available than any of the local shops (or that they can even order for me). So there have been times where if I was buying the exact same tire, it would have been about the same at tire rack as the local discount tire store. But the thing is I end up not buying the same exact tire because there are more choices available. Here is an example. Looking at my 2001 Vette:
1. Local Discount tire: Set of 4 BF Goodrich for $758 including 7.28% MN sales tax but also including mounting and balancing and old tire disposal etc for $76 included in price.
2. buy the same BF good rich from direct and it actually costs more $787 with out the door price (that's taking the direct price with shipping + add the $76).
3. On Discount tire direct the cheapest tire is a Cooper with a set of 4 being $622 shipped. So add the $76 for mounting and balancing to the direct price and you are up to $698.
4. On tire rack, I can get the Sumitomo HTR Z II's for $527 out the door (including shipping, mounting, balancing and the whole works). This tire is not available at either of the other places or anywhere I know of locally.

But...we are talking three different tires there so its time to do my homework. I did that last time I purchased and ended up getting and being very happy with the Sumitomo's - making my choice easy next time I need replacements.

#32 ·
I run thread wrights and have no issue.
I use the kedge (sp?) grip winter compound, and have some chunking going on cuase of spinning them on rocks. No worse then the mudders I was running in the past.
Need to re balance them cause I knocked a couple of weights off. Will probably buy another set.

I think alot of the hate with retreads is people seeing "gators" on the highway. But you have to remember those are off of semis which carry 17K lbs per axle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.