Changed belt tensioner...started making noise again?!?! - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Changed belt tensioner...started making noise again?!?!

I changed the belt tensioner on my 4.0L about 1600 miles ago and all was quiet...until I washed it the other day and sprayed off the engine (with low pressure). Now there's a new "chirping" noise, not as bad as it was, but still there. I didn't know what the part number of the redesigned tensioner was but I contacted a friend who is a tech at a local Nissan dealer. He said that the part number I had was the latest part number they had. The tensioner did look a little different as far as the casting of it but other than that, it looked the same just a different number.

My question is what the hell happened? Could it be that the new tensioner could have caused a bearing on another pulley to start chirping? Could my spraying off the engine have caused something to start chirping? I haven't had a chance to investigate yet but I plan to do that tomorrow during the spark plug change.

Thanks for any input!

2005 Frontier NISMO CC Electric Blue (Entire front cap has been repainted.)
2009 G8 GT Stryker Blue Met
1998 Camaro SS Silver/Black 6spd
1997 S-10 Rollin' Primer & much more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
More then likely it is slipping of the belt on a pulley. Give it a few days to completely dry off and see if it keeps squeeking. When was the belt last replaced? May be worth doing that too. Over time they tend to wear down and get glazed and they slip so it may just be time to replace.

P.S. I vote gatorback belts since they have a great design and last forever.

07 SE CC Auto
#3 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Shift_Fanatic

some one said with engine off take abar of soap try to wipe it on the contact area of the fan belt all the way around it see if that does any thing
#4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Garage
I changed the belt (Gates) when I changed the pulley. Not sure about the soap thing? The wife drives it everyday so I don't get to listen for it but I'm gonna check it out this afternoon when I'm changing the plugs. I'm hoping it's not doing it any more because I don't want to have to take it back to the dealer and argue my point.

*UPDATE*
The noise is a almost constant chirping and it doesn't get faster with higher RPMs like a belt squeal would. It's definitely coming from around the tensioner and will be 1 of 3 things down there: tensioner, alternator or power steering pump. I looked at the new tensioner and the belt is riding on the very edge of the pulley, I mean almost hanging off the front, with maybe 1mm of the pulley showing. Is that normal?

Now here's the kicker, when removing the upper intake to change the PS plugs, I got some antifreeze on the belt down there. When I started it up afterward, there was no noise for about 20-30 seconds then it started again. That makes it sound like the belt unless that antifreeze some how lubricated whatever bearing might be going out. Thoughts?

2005 Frontier NISMO CC Electric Blue (Entire front cap has been repainted.)
2009 G8 GT Stryker Blue Met
1998 Camaro SS Silver/Black 6spd
1997 S-10 Rollin' Primer & much more!

Last edited by Nismo_Noob; 12-10-2010 at 02:28 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Shift_Newbie

Send a message via AIM to xshellshock
spray the belt with a little pb, if the noise goes away, its the belt. Otherwise take a long screwdriver and put it on the bolts that hold the pullies, and put the handle end to your ear. you'll be able to hear what pulley is making noise that way.

2007 Frontier SE Crew Cab 4x4 6 speed 6ft bed
#6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 04:16 AM
Shift_Obsessed

[ I'm still within my powertrain warranty, so am hoping that it's the tensioner. ]

I never replaced my tensioner and the high-pitched squeal noise is back. I called the Dealer this morning and the tensioner is NOT covered by the powertrain warranty. I confirmed their statement reading my warranty book.

I think I'll try the repair myself when the squeal finally drives me nuts.. Lots of info in this thread:

Belt tensioner replacement

Getting the 14mm tensioner mounting bolt out seems like the toughest part of the job, as it's in tight. I'm still a bit confused as to exactly what sort of wrench people used.

2006 SE CC 4x2 6-Speed 4.0L w/Power Package & ABLS, Red Brawn, Nissan Step Rails, Hood Protector and Soft Tonneau, Clarion CX501, Stock Speakers, Pioneer TS-T110 Tweeters and LED Reverse Lights

Last edited by FitzIngarage; 12-30-2010 at 02:59 PM.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 05:26 AM
Shift_Obsessed

I just had exactly the sqame thing.Did the soap trick and it went away for a while.New belt and 20 mins work and all good again.

Black Ice

2007 Nissan Navara ST-X 4x2 V6 6 Speed

Custom Paint
Glasurit Pure Black with 5% Blue Pearl

Wheels by Speedy Australia

"
we are on right side of car and opposite side to right is wrong therefore you drive on wrong side lol"

"The only true Wilderness is the space between a Tree Huggers ears "
#8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 06:44 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

When I replaced my belt on an 07 4X4 Nismo this week there was two belts one with an enhancement kit, not sure what the enhancement kit is, and one with out I could not find a belt for one with the enhancement kit except at the dealer. I am wondering if by chance you need the belt for the enhancement kit? The oem belt was thinner and the ribs were slightly different.
#9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 07:04 AM
Shift_lurker

I'm on my third belt tensioner on my'06. I thought mine would have been covered under power train warranty but it wasn't. Explanation was "It's not actually part of the drive train." The last two tensioners were the updated ones and the last time it was changed they warranted the part as a "courtesy". Big whoop! It's starting to chirp again. This is getting old.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Is this belt tensioner only an 05/06 year problem, I have 92K miles and have never had this problem. when I changed my belt the idler pulley spun smooth and have never heard any kind of chirping.

Thanks

Bill

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.