Can someone test their auto climate control operation for me - Nissan Frontier Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can someone test their auto climate control operation for me

If anyone has a chance at some point I was wondering if you could check your automatic climate control operation.

Basically when you press auto and the system is calling for heat, once the engine warms up a bit it goes to floor and the fan increases to full. The auto light is on. The AC light is on. Itís minus 17 c to minus 30 c here. I know I can just leave it in full auto mode but with no chance of the AC ever coming on in this weather I wanted to turn off the AC light. Problem is when I push the AC button the fan speed doesnít automatically change. It seems to sit at a medium high setting and wont go above that which isnt enough for how cold it is. If I turn off the AC and use any air flow options other than pure floor the fan speed works automatically. As in it will go to full blast when needed and reduce normally as the interior warms.

So to test if yours does the same next time you are in your truck just do the following

1.Make sure itís in full auto. Confirm the AC light is on. Set temp around 22 c (72 f)

2.Start driving normally until engine is warmed

3.When the engine is fully warmed and the fan is blowing full blast simply press the AC button to turn off. (in mine the fan speed reduces from full to 2/3 ish)

4.Turn the temperature as high as it will go. Does the fan increase to full?

5.Turn the temperature as low as it will go. Does the fan decrease? it may even switch to vent depending on your temp.

6.Press, bi-level defrost or vent or floor/vent. Repeat 4 and 5 (the auto light will turn off but fan still operates in automatic mode).

Itís not a huge problem as I still get normal heat in most modes. Though it could be a symptom that it's on the way out. It also bugs me that the way I want it set doesnít seem to work the way I believe it should.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by mdsjohna; 01-10-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:52 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Garage
I would try this, but at 72F and in automatic, it will be blowing cold air out. The temp outside will be higher than that today here in Florida.

Maybe it's just that I'm missing something or because you live in a different climate. I almost never use auto mode, but for about 11.9 months out of the year, my thermostat stays on 60, or as low as possible on the vehicle, so no real need for auto, I just increase or decrease fan speed as I feel necessary and swap from internal recirc to outside based on if I'm in city traffic and don't want to smell fumes or concrete, or out on the drive home and can get fresh air. I guess I just haven't found what the purpose of using the Auto mode is for is what I'm saying. If it's cold where you're at, then why can't you just crank the heat up till it feels comfortable and adjust from there?

SASHA: 2016 PRO-4x Standard. JBA headers, JBA SS exhaust. Tekonsha P3, Shrock diff cover + Lubelocker gasket, Shrock skids. WK sliders.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Purely because I like it. Still need someone to test who lives in a cold environment.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:58 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
My biggest complaint so far about my frontier is the climate control/heating system. My old car that had a similar system I would hit auto and set the temp. The fan speed and vents would just adjust on their own and make cabin comfortable. It would cycle the AC to remove moisture inside the cabin.

The frontier i can't use auto at all. It seems to want to blow cold air at my feet.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Anyway if someone has a chance at some point I want to know if this is normal operation.

Last edited by mdsjohna; 01-10-2017 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:14 AM
Administrator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Thanked 1,738 Times in 992 Posts
Garage
I can tell you I have been disappointed that simply turning off AC will disable full auto operation (in a heating situation) even thought the Auto light stays on, but I will try to actually test for you later today to give you exact answers to your questions, as it is -10C today so it should be a good test.

-- Brian
'13 Pro4X CC / AT, BFG KO2s 265-75-16, BakflipG2, Curt Hitch, Pathy Plates, OEM Steps & Bug Deflector, 20% 3M Color Stable Tint, 7pin Trailer Plug Mounted in Bumper Mod, Powerstop Z23 Rotors & Pads

Last edited by 2013Pro4X; 01-10-2017 at 10:21 AM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:54 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Location: From one cold place at the TOW to another lower cold place...
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Its only 26 F here and snowing, when I go out later I'll try and test mine but I don't normally use auto as I set my temp ~64 on heat and drive comfortably.

Having been stationed in Greenland with down to -50 C with wind chills, upstate NY feels downright warm to me now

'17 Frontier CC SV v6/6M 4x4 SB to compliment my TL1Ks and other stuff

...what to spend on first; suspension, armor, lighting?...the mod bug bites hard
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:49 PM
Administrator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
2. Start driving normally until engine is warmed

3. When the engine is fully warmed and the fan is blowing full blast simply press the AC button to turn off. (in mine the fan speed reduces from full to 2/3 ish)

4. Turn the temp to as high as it will go. Does the fan increase to full?
NO

5. Turn the fan as low as it will go. Does the fan decrease? it may even switch to vent depending on your temp.
Yes, but is that what you meant to ask by asking if the fan decreased?

6. Press, bi-level defrost or vent or floor/vent. Repeat 4 and 5 (the auto light will turn off but fan still operates in automatic mode).

Repeating step 4-5 after step six did nothing. I feel like you may have left out a step in your instructions such as putting back into auto mode.

-- Brian
'13 Pro4X CC / AT, BFG KO2s 265-75-16, BakflipG2, Curt Hitch, Pathy Plates, OEM Steps & Bug Deflector, 20% 3M Color Stable Tint, 7pin Trailer Plug Mounted in Bumper Mod, Powerstop Z23 Rotors & Pads
The Following User Says Thank You to 2013Pro4X For This Useful Post:
AndysLog (01-10-2017)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013Pro4X View Post
2.Start driving normally until engine is warmed

3.When the engine is fully warmed and the fan is blowing full blast simply press the AC button to turn off. (in mine the fan speed reduces from full to 2/3 ish)

4.Turn the temp to as high as it will go. Does the fan increase to full?

NO

5.Turn the fan as low as it will go. Does the fan decrease? it may even switch to vent depending on your temp.

Yes, but is that what you meant to ask by asking if the fan decreased?

6.Press, bi-level defrost or vent or floor/vent. Repeat 4 and 5 (the auto light will turn off but fan still operates in automatic mode).

Repeating step 4-5 after step six did nothing. I feel like you may have left out a step in your instructions such as putting back into auto mode.

Sorry 5 was supposed to be turn the temperature as low as it will go and report back on what the fan does.

With 6 you don't need to put it back in auto mode just change it too something other then floor and report on how the fan operates. When changing the temp.

Repeating step 4 and 5 did nothing because of me saying to turn the fan as low as it would go, instead of what I meant to say the turning temp as low as it would go. Very sorry for that

Looks like your floor with AC off operates the same as mine. They way they have it set up doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited by mdsjohna; 01-10-2017 at 02:10 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:13 PM
Administrator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsjohna View Post
Sorry 5 was supposed to be turn the temperature as low as it will go and report back on what the fan does.
gotcha. no problem. I'll give it another try when I have a chance. You may want to edit your original post in case someone else tries it.
mdsjohna likes this.

-- Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to 2013Pro4X For This Useful Post:
mdsjohna (01-10-2017)

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.