Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Can Anyone Explain This???

913 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Skibane 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2010 SE KC 4.0 AT 4X4 that I bought new. After owning it a couple years the battery died and the dealership replaced it (at a prorated charge of course). I noticed that after I picked it up from the dealership the truck seemed to perform better but after a few weeks I just wrote it off to my imagination as it was running as usual.

That inspired me to buy a tuner (Superchips) which I set at the performance tune with regular fuel and it did give it a bit more kick. Well after another year or so my ECU fried but I was able to still set it back to the factory tune before having it towed to the dealership. They of course told me they never had one go before but it was replaced under warranty so I didn't care, but once again I noticed that the truck performed better after picking it up from the dealership, so much so I called the dealership and asked them if there was a new factory tune, which they replied NO. It was running so well I saw no need to use the Superchips Tuner and sold it on ebay. Well after some time it was running as usual again and I just wrote it off to whatever.

So about a month ago I had to opportunity to purchase a CAI at a great price and installed it, disconnecting the battery as per the instructions, and there was definitely a noticeable improvement in performance, especially at the top end. I love the sound and look forward to punching it getting on to the interstate.

Well, once again after a few weeks the truck seemed to go back to normal at the low end but still had the kick it at the top end. This afternoon I was thinking about it, and realized it was every time the battery was disconnected it seemed to run better, so I disconnected the battery, let it sit for a 1/2 hour so, reconnected it, just took it out for a test drive and sure enough the low end performance is back. Seems to just shift better and have more torque.

Thanks, UncleG

See less See more
#2 ·
The ecu goes into learning mode after battery disconnect.

Clint

#3 ·
Your ECU adapts to your driving style. Unless you drive like a psycho 90% of the time, the truck will learn to behave sluggishly. Tuners help a lot, but the ECU will still work the same way.

In my experience, on my 2010, disabling the wide open throttle restriction was immensely helpful in solving lackluster engine performance.

#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.