Camper Shells and toppers - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 07:30 AM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Camper Shells and toppers

There are a few other really good threads about camper shells, but I have very specific question. Are there any other trucks out there that have camper shells that are interchangeble with a short bed King Cab Frontier? I have found quite a few different shells on Craigslist, but nobody ever puts the dimensions on those listings. If I had my choice I would buy a Z-line by A.R.E. but I don't want to fork over 2 grand. Feel free to post anything about shells on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 08:04 AM
Shift_Hardcore

well why don't you reply to the sellers and have them give you the dimensions or go to the seller and measure yourself ? I opted for brand new, to match the truck perfectly.

here's my leer shell color matched to the exact dye lot specs the day my frontier was built ( only leer does this ). $1100 out the door. I also like how the shell overhangs the bed, keeping it completely water tight. I've own 3 different shells in my life of 7 trucks and they've all been leer !

Last edited by cctmobiledetail; 11-24-2008 at 08:09 AM.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Shift_Newbie

I have had 3 different shells on 3 different trucks. The first was aluminum(AL). I loved everthing about it except the way it looked. It was tuff, light and durable. Also, it was cheap and easy to work on. My other 2 tops were both ARE fiberglass tops. Both looked great. The down side....pricey and heavy. Also they are harder to work on(my opinion). I liked to take my tops on and off alot. Having a lighter top makes this easier. I had a z-top and it worked and looked great. For me the only downside with the z-top is the tapered roof and curved rear window. This reduces your cargo space and often makes it difficult to fit oversized items into the bed.

On a side note I have had several bedliners. Sprayin and inserts. They all have their strong points and short comings. But my favorite liner is the BedRug! Very durable and an all around nice liner.

2007 Crew Cab SE 4X4
#4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifedontunderstand View Post
I have had 3 different shells on 3 different trucks. The first was aluminum(AL). I loved everthing about it except the way it looked. It was tuff, light and durable. Also, it was cheap and easy to work on. My other 2 tops were both ARE fiberglass tops. Both looked great. The down side....pricey and heavy. Also they are harder to work on(my opinion). I liked to take my tops on and off alot. Having a lighter top makes this easier. I had a z-top and it worked and looked great. For me the only downside with the z-top is the tapered roof and curved rear window. This reduces your cargo space and often makes it difficult to fit oversized items into the bed.

On a side note I have had several bedliners. Sprayin and inserts. They all have their strong points and short comings. But my favorite liner is the BedRug! Very durable and an all around nice liner.
Do you know of any good places to get a top in northen New York, I went to a local Truck and Van store in Kingston, Ontario and they Wanted $3000! for a paint matched ARE Z.

Last edited by callen81; 11-24-2008 at 06:05 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Shift_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by callen81 View Post
Do you know of any good places to get a top in northen New York, I went to a local Truck and Van store in Kingston and they Wanted $3000! for a paint matched ARE Z.
Jem Top, Inc.- Truck Caps, Running Boards, Remote Starters, Alarms and Tool Boxes

Above is the website of the dealer I bot my top from. They have always been very helpful for me. Call/email them. They my be able to suggest a different dealer in your area. $3,000 sound high to me. I paid $1,800 for a z-top on my Silverado in 2005. I know things have gone up in price but not that much. And i can't see them selling to many tops in this economy. Work him over on the price. Price the top at a Leer dealer.

2007 Crew Cab SE 4X4
#6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Shift_lurker

Prices

I have heard that the dealers are very negotiable. I think the tops have a very high markup. I haven't dicided whether I would leave a top on at all times. I really need one for hauling a canoe so it would have to have ladder racks. Either the racks would have to be removeable or I would like to get the cheapest lightest top I could find so I could take the whole top off myself. My second consideration is aerodynamics. It is my understanding that the Z-line can improve gas milage due to its areodynamic design. Some of the Leer designs also have good lines. If I went with a color matched aerodynamic shell I would probably leave it on all the time.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBeerkat View Post
I have heard that the dealers are very negotiable. I think the tops have a very high markup. I haven't dicided whether I would leave a top on at all times. I really need one for hauling a canoe so it would have to have ladder racks. Either the racks would have to be removeable or I would like to get the cheapest lightest top I could find so I could take the whole top off myself. My second consideration is aerodynamics. It is my understanding that the Z-line can improve gas milage due to its areodynamic design. Some of the Leer designs also have good lines. If I went with a color matched aerodynamic shell I would probably leave it on all the time.
If the only reason is to haul a canoe, why not forget the shell and buy a adjustable ( removable )bed rack , like :

PICKUP TRUCK BED EXTENDER CANOE KAYAK LADDER RACK - eBay (item 350124943181 end time Dec-12-08 18:01:41 PST)

or

Oak Orchard Canoe Kayak Experts Pick Up Truck Rear Racks rack kayaks canoes Yakima pickup Q-Towers Low Riders control towers Thule
#8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
i payed a grand for mine.....
and i still dont have it.....
#9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctmobiledetail View Post
What I'd like to do is carry on the same look as the OEM roof racks right onto the canopy itself, should look pretty good with a colour matched A.R.E. Z.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 06:54 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you buy a new one, strongly consider getting the option that allows one/both side windiws to flip up/open. THis makes getting to the front of the bed a simple /quick event vs crawling around on your hands and knees. My last cap had that option and I would never go back.

07 Frontier LE, 4x4, Crew Cab, Short Bed, Avalanche White.
Mods: Access Lorado Tonneau, Raamat sound deadener, Custom Audio (JVC KW-XR810, XM, Ipod, Pioneer D702P, CDT HD-62, Infinity Ref, Alpine PDX4.100, Profile AP400 & PioneerTS-SW841D (front seat sub) Remote Start, Yakathule Racks, OEM All Season Mats, Coverking Neosupreme seat covers, Silverstar Ultra Headlights,fog light overide. LED Back-ups, 13" Rubber Antenna, EZDown Gate Dampener, Light Buster hitch light, modified tiedowns, waterproof bedlight.
The Following User Says Thank You to WeeHooker For This Useful Post:
crewzen (02-24-2013)

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.