Nissan Frontier Forum banner

A/C in auto mode blows hot air after start up

12K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  rpcraft 
#1 ·
I searched and couldn't find anything pertaining to this issue. I have a 2014 and when i have the climate control in auto mode set to 74 it will blow super hot air after engine start. It blows hot air for probably 10 seconds or so then you here something move and it will start blowing cold air again. This seems to happen around every 10 engine starts or so. Anybody ran into this issue? Would rather try to fix it myself then take it to the dealership. Thanks for your time and help!

#2 ·
Im having the exact same issue with mine, it's a 12, blows hot air for first 10-20 seconds then cold. And last week it got stuck blowing hot for a couple minutes. It's a blend door issue I think, trying to find out if it's electronic or vacuum. Guessing electric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
yep thats it too. i took it in a few weeks before it started for what sounded like a vacuum leak to me under light acceleration with the windows down. Sounds like a whistle but the mechanic told its the plastic air intakes that cars use now and nothing was wrong....>:D I am still saying its not right because my 2 previous frontiers never had that whistle.

#4 ·
Mine has done it since day one, but only if the temperature control knob is in any position other than max cool.

#5 ·
It will always blow hot air right at start up. You should hear the ac compressor kick on and it take a few seconds for it to actually produce cold air.

#6 · (Edited)
It's not a matter of the compressor taking a second to cycle on. It's the heat that is on, you can hear the blend door moving and it switches to cold air at that point. I should note that mine does it after I shut the truck off and restart it after driving for a bit. So the heater core is already hot from coolant. It's definitely a blend door issue. Gonna investigate more today. It's annoying because im worried it's gonna get stuck on hot. Which is no good in Florida lol

#7 ·
Exactly. It is the full blown heater going and mine is after the truck has been driven a bit too. I am sure it does it when the engine is cold but you can't tell cause the truck isn't warmed up yet.

#9 ·
Seems if you had a leak the door would not move all the way, sounds like a delayed relay, switch, or maybe the door hangs up for a few seconds.

#10 ·
Maybe the sensor needs a few seconds to sense the temperature to then actuate the door. I never use the auto settings.

Clint

#11 ·
Interesting. This recently started happening on my 2010. Yes, I realize cold air won't blow immediately, but it comes out HOT after about 2 seconds after restarting my truck. It drops down to a slightly warm temperature after that then it's cold.

#12 ·
I just noticed this thread. This recently happened on my 14 for the first time. At first I was thinking it was just the AC hadn't had a chance to cool yet, but it really got my attention. Much warmer than what is typical from getting into a car on a 95 degree afternoon. It was actually blowing out heated air for about a minute, then suddenly switched over to cool air.

#13 ·
Thanks for posting this. Been trying to explain this to a few people here as well. Same exact scenario, blows VERY hot for 10-15 seconds (not just warm because it's 90+ in Louisiana), and this is only happening on one side of the dual climate control as the other side starts to blow cool right away. Will be bringing to dealer in a week as it's a 2015.

#15 ·
Do any of you ever for whatever reason sit in the truck for a few minutes after turning the engine off? You all of a sudden hear servos moving without touching anything maybe they go back to a neutral position and that is one where the heater core is exposed to the air flow. Once the system is energized it goes back to the A/C on setting.

Clint

#17 ·
This is a nice feature which helps keep condensation from dripping down into the HVAC ducts after shutdown. I wouldn't have it any other way now that I've noticed it. Mildewed ducts SUCK!

#16 ·
Interestingly enough my wife just got a 2015 xterra and it also does this, did it the first day we got it home on Friday. And yes Clint you can definitely hear the actuators moving. Last week my truck got stuck blowing hot air for about 3 minutes. Then kicked over.

#18 ·
Brought my 2015 into the dealership last year, kept truck for 2 days and reportedly could not reproduce the issue. Decided to ignore it until now. Will be bringing it back in since left side basically runs heat for the first 10-20 seconds. Will let you know the findings. Anyone else have any luck?

#23 ·
Mine does it all the time. It's mostly when the vehicle has warmed up, it gets turned off, and its pretty hot outside (like 85 plus). I've never really noticed it in the winter or cooler months but around Central Texas that's basically January through March, lol. It's only really noticeable on a day when its hot outside. I'll start the truck, have the ac on, go somewhere (long or short, distance isn't really the determiner), park for a few minutes, like to go inside a store and buy drinks, or fill up with gas, and then when I restart it's full heat blowing out at full fan speed. When it happens I'll usually just turn the Auto to the lowest temp (60 I think) and then turn the fan down to its first or second lowest light and then once I feel it start to cool off again Ill hit auto and after a few moments turn the temp back up to where I had it and that usually resolves it and seems to be fine until the next time. I've just come to be annoyed by it but accept it and it's just always a shocker when it's already 100 degrees outside and the vents start blasting high heat, lol. I was thinking it has to do with a sensor getting coated with cold condensate after being shutoff or maybe the sensor on the dash being in direct sunlight or something weird but I've never gone to the stealership with the issue because like many other invisble issues they never can reproduce the issue at hand.

#24 ·
Mine does all of the same. But, it seems to have progressed and now while working normally it will intermittently change temps to an extreme, either hot or cold and eventually go back to the set temp. All of this only happens on the driver's side, passenger seems fine. Funny there there have been so many inquiries on similar issues but nobody has posted what their solution was. I'm thinking it's a blend air door motor for the driver's side. My truck doesn't match up to the FSM so I'm stuck on how to go ahead on a repair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.