Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Bubble rust UNDER the bedliner..what to do?

9K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Gav'sPurpleZ 
#1 ·
Hi all, not sure where to place this as I wouldn't call it 'detailing'.
That being said ive looked at my bed recently and im getting 'speck' rust in patches through the bedliner. like a dust. I also have two spots what can only be described as rust bubble UNDER the factory bedliner in two spots the size of a 50 cent piece.
my questions are ...
I can paint OVER the bedliner with a rust oleum type product to inhibit the 'dust' rust further.?
with the bubbles, I hate to say 'leave it alone', but wont I be asking for more trouble if I break the 'seal' on the bedliner?

the bed currently is not covered but a waterproof cover is on the list within the next month.

I know the rain getting at it is not helping matters.

#2 ·
The only way to fix it is to remove all of the original bedliner, grind off all of the rust, and reapply new bedliner. I would never recommend adding more bedliner over the rust. That would only compound the problem further. A water proof cover would help a little, but since the rust is already there it would still continue to get worse. Nissan's spray in liner seems to be terrible. I've heard of this issue many times.

#6 ·
The factory bed coating is garbage. Moisture leaked under the coating and is causing corrosion. Agree with above, take it to Line-X and get an opinion.
isn't there a factory warranty on corrosion?

#8 ·
My truck does not have the bedliner. It does show rust in the same area. For that matter the red paint is coming off in many areas where there is a seam inside the bed and on the inside of the tailgate around the access cover is. I'm just glad it is only flaking off on the inside of the bed and nowhere else. :crying::frown:::smile::

#11 ·
i live 40 minutes NW of Chicago, so I know about brutal winters.

paint issues are common, I have dealt with a couple on my truck and 1 issue on my dads truck ( 2011 SV, when it was new ).

i would still consider the bedliner

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.