Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Black or Chrome

14K views 28 replies 24 participants last post by  Dutch 
#1 · (Edited)
So I had the day off today and was board out of my mind. I went to Home Depot to poke at the power tools for a bit an ended up in the paint section ( I had a project for my house but I can't remember what it is). I saw some plasti dip and remebered how I hated having to polish my chrome rims. I decided to pick up three cans and plasti dip my rims. For those of you who don't know, Plasti dip is an aerosol that is similar to paint. You can paint your projects and if your don't like them you can just peel the stuff off and the substance is similar to latex rubber, same thickness as a latex glove. It is very durable and can stand multiple washes. So I decided to plasti-dip my rims and I think they look pretty damn good. Tell me what you think. Should leave it black or go back to chrome?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
black!! looks great with white

I too had fun with plasti dip today. Great minds think alike

Before

After

#6 ·
Eh....I do like the BFG's though, they are bad@ss.
I guess black looks better.

You own a SuperCharged Titan, and you put plasti-dip over your other vehicle's wheels? :laugh:
Jk, jk. looks good. :)

#8 · (Edited)
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f10/plastidipped-items-your-frontier-69849/

So I had the day off today and was board out of my mind. I went to Home Depot to poke at the power tools for a bit an ended up in the paint section ( I had a project for my house but I can't remember what it is). I saw some plasti dip and remebered how I hated having to polish my chrome rims. I decided to pick up three cans and plasti dip my rims. For those of you who don't know, Plasti dip is an aerosol that is similar to paint. You can paint your projects and if your don't like them you can just peel the stuff off and the substance is similar to latex rubber, same thickness as a latex glove. It is very durable and can stand multiple washes. So I to plasti-dipped my rims and I think they look pretty damn good. Tell me what you think. Should I leave it black or go back to chrome?

View attachment 37143

View attachment 37142

View attachment 37145

View attachment 37146
looks good, i've had my stock wheels plastidipped for a while and they are holding up great. as you can see by looking at my truck i'm a fan of the color black lol. my vote would be leave them black. looks good against the white paint.

#4 · (Edited)
If I would have known, I would have kept my stock SV rims on.

I used 3 cans. Prep is cleaning with soap and water, than using rubbing alcohol ( I used acetone because thats what I had) to get off any extra oils or residue. You don't have to mask your tires either.You just paint over them and peel it off when dry. Theres a bunch on vids on youtube. It cost 6 bucks a can at home depot.

#10 · (Edited)
I vote chrome. There goes my age telling on me again. The black wheels on black tires just looks like too much of a good thing to me. In the end it is your truck and your choice.

#11 ·
Chrome!

I think your truck looks sharp with the chrome rims. BUT its your truck so what ever you like do it.

#13 ·
I prefer the subtle chrome look myself, nothing flashy. Don't know why anyone would black out their vehicle like that. I guess if you like that "yeah bro!" look, but to their own.

#16 · (Edited)
I prefer the black but haven't done mine-yet. The black looks more like a truck used as a truck, the chrome, to me, looks more like a show truck or something that never goes off road because it might get messy.. As they used to say in the Army, opinions are like a$$holes, everybody's got one.

#20 ·
Chrome for sure. The black plastic dip on those wheels cheapens up the look of them. Makes it look like a work truck.

#27 ·
Love the Black!!!!!!! I may have to go this route as well! that is so sick and such a low-cost mod from getting a new set of rims!

How long before the plasti-dip comes off? is it easy to scrape off while mudding/off-roading?
-I'm only asking cuz i need to know if this is something that will have to be re-coated often. thx!

#29 ·
I've had a bad experience using Plastidip. I painted the wheels on my Beetle red using Plastidip thinking it'll come right off wrong. I spent hours trying to clean the paint off because it wouldn't peel off had to use gasoline and steel wool. So that's why I'll never touch that stuff again. Also I prefer black wheels easier to keep clean than those shiny chrome wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.